Favorite Battery Monitor System?

Longbeard87

Advanced Member
Just got a 2017 Fleet!!! Spent the last three days camping out of it, mountain biking and turkey hunting. Realize I should have had a battery monitor put in so I can keep an eye on the Fleet battery level. Any recommendations? Now we just use it for the lights, fantastic fan and we have the furnace. Don't plan to add in much else but we also will be plugging in phones and misc. usb accessories to charge. I do plan to add a solar panel before long.

Thanks

LED voltage gauge at a min. Cheap and easy install. This is mine runs on switch to 12v socket that is to the right of it.

med_gallery_1903_734_15671.jpg

$$ no problem nothing beats the TriMetric

I really like the Trimetric 2030RV. I put one in my Hawk, and also in my travel trailer. Among other things, it keeps track of the amps in and out of your battery so you know what you have actually used. Google them for more info. Highly recommended.

I am like Bill Harr, just using a small digital voltmeter. Mine is a plug in that I keep in one of the outlets. So far, I haven't felt the need to add anything more complex.

The Victron BMV700 is hands down the winner for me. Easy to install and setup, intuitive interface, and all the detail one needs to see where they're at energy-wise and how much energy they're spending using certain things in various conditions. In past rigs I just used a volt meter like others have mentioned. But when something goes awry and you need to trouble shoot the system, the volt meter leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also a little nerdy and really like to know how much energy, say, my fridge draws in the summer vs the winter, etc. My solar controller is Victron as well, and both devices interface with an app on my phone. I find the 30 day history on the app particularly useful.

full

I would agree with the Victron BMV-700/702 being the pick of the crop. I just went through this same decision and research last year, and the BMV-700 came out on top , with the Xantrex and Bluesea systems options coming in second and third and the Trimetric being a distant fourth.

PS I do feel like I have been recommending the Victron stuff a lot of late, but I promise I am not a shill just a happy customer that did a lot of research and came to a solution I am happy with.

Put me in the Trimetric corner. Along with their sc2030 charge controller.

One of the problems with voltage only is what battery? The Optima Blue Tops I use in my boat are full charged at about 12.8 volts.

The HD deep cycle in my Camper is at 100% when it's up to 13.5!

Trimetric 2030-RV . Amps in from solar, alternator, and shore power and out plus percentage of full.
Helped me troubleshoot battery problem. More on my post under electrical. Click on the link below my signature.

Zamp Update from Stan at Four Wheel

[SIZE=11pt]"The Zamp controller displays the battery voltage, what the solar is producing, and what the draw is.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](Refrig on, lights on, fan on etc…)"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

We have a Tri-Metric. It looks a little like a EE's Masters Thesis Project, but it gives me the info that I want. I looked at the Victron stuff when I first heard of them here and the way that their info was presented didn't leave me with a warm & fuzzy, felt more like hocus-pocus. In a way it was reminiscent of the now defunct (and in jail) Jacobs Electronics page. Others obviously like their stuff. And since it hasn't yet been mentioned there is also the Watts Up meter on amazon that is actually intended for Radio Controlled car use, but works well for this too.

So I think the take-away is that there is no one best monitor. There is only the monitor that you prefer.

I would like to upgrade both my battery monitor and solar charge controller. With 250 W of solar on top, keeping an eye on the system is enjoyable and important. Having both items work well together is also a big plus. I will also change out the automatic charge relay and from reading here I feel the Blue Sea ML-ACR should fill the need very well.
Thanks for everyone's input and opinions.

Rock.

I too have and recommend the Trimetric. Being new to solar charging, it was educational watching the amps in amps out. I now have a good understanding of when and how many amps my system uses. It also gives me almost instant warning of problems with my system (e.g. refrigerator cycling too often = door seal not sealing, not enough amps in full sun = large, wet leaf attached to one of my panels). One wouldn't notice these with a voltmeter until later.

Trimetric will work with all controllers.

jim

For those of us who are cheap I just use a $10.00 usb cigarette plug in that shows my battery voltage and have a portable solar panel ready to plug in or not.

I would like to add that the Victron monitors amps in and out just like the Trimetric. I liked the fact that Victron's solar controller was MPPT instead of PWM which from what I read was a bit more efficient. The compatablity of using all Victron products and the clean look is what appealed to me the most. After camping with and without the Victron monitor I love that I can actively monitor that status of my batteries and see how much it flowing in or out of them at any given time as well as see what the current percentage is.

Esus said:
The Victron BMV700 is hands down the winner for me. Easy to install and setup, intuitive interface, and all the detail one needs to see where they're at energy-wise and how much energy they're spending using certain things in various conditions. In past rigs I just used a volt meter like others have mentioned. But when something goes awry and you need to trouble shoot the system, the volt meter leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also a little nerdy and really like to know how much energy, say, my fridge draws in the summer vs the winter, etc. My solar controller is Victron as well, and both devices interface with an app on my phone. I find the 30 day history on the app particularly useful.
Do you have any pictures of how you mounted your controller? Thanks.

Here is mine - the gauge on the left is the MPPT charge controller, and the BMV-700 is on the right.

IMG_0299 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom