Feeling old, Cataracts

billharr

Who on WTW has had Cataract Surgery? I am going to have mine done next month. I have been nearsighted all of my life now I have to make a choice. I can stay near sighted and still read in bed without glasses or see perfect at a distance without glasses but need glasses to read. There is an option of a dual focus lens but they have some drawbacks.

Looking for any experience anyone has had.

Sorry I can't help you. I've worn glasses since I was three. Two surgeries which they now say they no longer think are worthwhile. No cataracts though.

I had both eyes done last year about 9 months apart. I choose the standard lenses because I also didn't like the drawbacks. Also, our eyes change over time so glasses are eventually needed. The surgery is not as scary as it seems it would be. The worse part is the month after where you have to wear a patch at night and wait for everything to stabilize.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Bill, all I know that when dad passed away at 90, his vision was better than mine. Dad had cataract surgery in his mid 70s. The only complaint I heard was when they (per pops) used a laser to zap some floaters. He said it didn't hurt, but felt weird.

Good luck, we wish you the best!

Years ago I had lacic (SP?) eye surgery done to fix nearsightedness and it was great to get rid of glasses and see the clock from bed without glasses. Now I depend on glasses to see distance, thou not even close as before. If I or when I need cataract surgery I'll chose again to see without glasses and just rely on reading glasses to do computer work or to read.

Good luck with the surgery and your choice.

Bill,

I had mine done 2 years ago with great results. It's a medical miracle. I went with the Tecnis multi focus lenses. There's some haloing when driving at night but it hasn't slowed me down a bit. Going from those #&%@ bifocals to no glasses is wonderful.

Don't sweat the surgery - easier than having your teeth cleaned. I sweated the first one but couldn't wait to have the second done. In and out in 20 minutes then 3 nights with an eye patch and a couple of weeks of drops. No pain at all.

Good Luck

I had mine done in 2011 and it was great. My eyes were bad enough that I flunked my draft physical but now I am 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. I went with standard lenses snd use reading glasses (I got a pair of the Clic ones which are real handy). Best surgery I ever had, they did my eyes 2 weeks apart.

camelracer said:
Bill,

I had mine done 2 years ago with great results. It's a medical miracle. I went with the Tecnis multi focus lenses. There's some haloing when driving at night but it hasn't slowed me down a bit. Going from those #&%@ bifocals to no glasses is wonderful.

Don't sweat the surgery - easier than having your teeth cleaned. I sweated the first one but couldn't wait to have the second done. In and out in 20 minutes then 3 nights with an eye patch and a couple of weeks of drops. No pain at all.

Good Luck
PM sent with questions.

Bill

med_gallery_1903_734_175191.jpg

gotta love the patch. At least the second one won't be as scary

Bill,

I found the time between surgeries to be a PIA. One eye still needs glasses and the other doesn't. I removed one lens from the glasses but it was still weird.

Good luck on your recovery.

Dick

Thanks everyone for the comments. Just got back from my post op exam. All good, lens is centered. Eye is still dilated Dr said may take another day to be back to normal. Getting real good at eye drops.

Now have Glass and not Glasses.
10919458_10203874515279583_6899021168911330430_o.jpg

Well, crapadoodle!

Just got back from my annual eye exam, and the opthomologist told me I have the start of cataracts. Nothing that needs immediate attention, but still a clear indication of Geezerhood plus a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom