Finally Got Weighed-Yikes!

dharte

After several years of carrying my 2015 Hawk full time on my 2005 F250, I just had it weighed. With the camper fully stocked (dishes, bedding, etc) about 1/4 tank of fuel, no water, full propane and me inside, it came in at a hefty 10,080 pounds. I was expecting about 500 lbs less. So with the wife, water, fuel, food and beer, dogs, etc., I'm easily at 10, 600 pounds. My GVWR label on the door says 10,000 pounds, but I noticed when I add the axle rating numbers I get close to 12,000 pounds. The truck has airbags and Rancho 9000 shocks and handles fine. It also has the slide in camper package that adds heavier front springs and a rear antisway bar. I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I always thought I had nothing to worry about. Should I be at all concerned with these numbers?

Here's a pretty good article that may explain the difference between weight parameters/definitions and why you should perhaps adhere to the placard.

I installed OME F-350 springs and shocks on my now sold 2003 F-250 in order to safely carry my fully equipped Hawk. Made not only a huge improve in load carrying ability but the ride improvement was simply stunning.

You will likely never get weighed by state authorities while traveling. But be involved in an accident and have it determined you were operating the vehicle over placarded weight limits can create significant legal issues in nearly all states. Especially if bodily injury or death is involved. Just something to think about.

We try to travel light and have only a FWC Hawk shell.

It is just astonding when I weigh individual components or bits and pieces.....

our single house AGM battery 87 #

Gallon of water 8.35 # we carry around 18 gallons in the desert

On and on ....it makes one really strive for balanced loading with heavier items forward in the camper...and as much as reasonable in the extra cab area.

David Graves

If his F250 is a diesel there is probably a lot more weight available over the rear axle than the front. It doesn't take much to be close the the axle limit on the front of a diesel. Mine for example is close to 5000/5000 with the camper on but only about a hundred something under the front axle limit and over 1000 under on the rear. I do agree about moving it forward closer to the axle for sure. I've been toying with the idea of moving the batteries under the front dinette but want to make sure its behind the balance point first. It will most likely be once my heavy rear bumper is installed.

ETA I did pass several weight station signs a few weeks ago in South Dakota, I29 & I90 saying all vehicles over 8000 GVWR pull off. A couple more saying over 10,000 GVWR. A few of them said RV's exempt. If thats the case even my wife Nissan NV passenger van would have to pull over, and probably all 2500 and up passenger/cargo vans.

A simpler way to decide if you need to freak out with the weight thing is to do it like this:
1) Take that fully kitted-out truck/camper with you and passenger to a set of scales and get three readings:
2) Weigh just the front axle
3) Weigh just the rear axle
4) Weigh both axels at the same time.

What you will know know is if the front axle is overloaded and by how much when you compare the result you got with the VIN tag on the door. You will also know if the rear axle is overloaded and by how much and finally, if the whole rig is under the max GVWR.

Before tearing your camper apart and moving things, you need to know what the real deal and what I posted here is the rea deal. Take note that many here are running 200 lbs. over on the rear axle and don't worry about it. You have shocks and bags that will lift up the bed of the truck and the camper if it is overloaded, but the fact remains you only leveled it our and helped with sway on the rear. You did not address the braking issues of a truck that is too heavy going down the road if you exceed the GVWR by too much.

I weighed my '88 F-250 Lariat HD Cab with a 460 gasser and 4x4 with 8' bed on it with full tanks and me and no camper and got the following:
Front: 3520 lbs. (My VIN tag say 3920 maximum)
Rear: 2860 lbs. (My VIN tag says 6084 maximum)
Both: 6400 lbs. (My VIN tag says 8800 maximum)

The GVWR on my VIN tag says 8800 lbs. It would seem I can therefore carry 2400 lbs. I still need to pay attention to the weight on each axle to avoid overloading it. With regard to my truck, I haven't weighed it with the Alaskan in it yet, but it would seem I have 400 lbs. max on the front axle and 3224 lbs. max load on the rear. I will be surprised if the rig is now over on the front axel and I am definitely not worried about the rear. There is no way (I think!) the whole camper weighs over 2100 lbs. and I think it will be under the 400 or close on the front, meaning I am carrying about 1700 on the rear which can carry over 3000 lbs.

Again, never combine what each axle can carry and assume that is how much you can carry. Look at each axle as a separate system including brakes and suspension and stay UNDER the maximums for each and you will be OK.

JCatt said:
I

ETA I did pass several weight station signs a few weeks ago in South Dakota, I29 & I90 saying all vehicles over 8000 GVWR pull off. A couple more saying over 10,000 GVWR. A few of them said RV's exempt. If thats the case even my wife Nissan NV passenger van would have to pull over, and probably all 2500 and up passenger/cargo vans.
It is very unlikely that Interstates will ever enforce weight limits on RVs or private rigs.....while driven for private use.

If in doubt simply check the state DOT website you are travelling thru.

The whole concept of weight scales on the Interstate system is to enfore Federal commerce rules and permits.

I drove commercial for a few years.

I will admit it can be confusing....some states have signs directing Pickups over a set weight into scales.....they are rather often looking for non DOT authorized carriers using their private truck.....very often large dually pickups engaged in the New RV trailer delivery business....this can be a violation of DOT, insurance and state permits rules and yeilds big fines.

I forget where but I have also seen Interstate scales signs which read "No Rv's"

David Graves

PackRat said:
Again, never combine what each axle can carry and assume that is how much you can carry. Look at each axle as a separate system including brakes and suspension and stay UNDER the maximums for each and you will be OK.
Absolutely agree with PackRat ....your door sticker or glove compartment sticker will usually state axle ratings for your specific vehicle as it came off the assembly line.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
It is very unlikely that Interstates will ever enforce weight limits on RVs or private rigs.....while driven for private use.

If in doubt simply check the state DOT website you are travelling thru.

The whole concept of weight scales on the Interstate system is to enfore Federal commerce rules and permits.

I drove commercial for a few years.

I will admit it can be confusing....some states have signs directing Pickups over a set weight into scales.....they are rather often looking for non DOT authorized carriers using their private truck.....very often large dually pickups engaged in the New RV trailer delivery business....this can be a violation of DOT, insurance and state permits rules and yeilds big fines.

I forget where but I have also seen Interstate scales signs which read "No Rv's"

David Graves
Yeah I passed them although my GWVR is 10k. The RV exempt signs were in MN IIRC along I90. I don't think the signs in SD said RVs exempt and I didn't stop to ask :)

Wow - that's heavy. I've got a 2012 GMC 2500HD extended cab with the 6L gas engine. With my 2012 Hawk, full fuel, water, propane, food, gear and wife I'm at 8700lbs.

What makes yours so heavy? Diesel? Winch? Other stuff?

My diesel f250 is 8600 without the camper. It does have a heavy front bumper, stereo equipment, loaded lariat. It’s basically worst case payload scenario with a 3/4 ton.
I’ve had far more weight in the truck than what my Hawk weighs but wouldn’t say it’s ok.

PJorgen said:
Wow - that's heavy. I've got a 2012 GMC 2500HD extended cab with the 6L gas engine. With my 2012 Hawk, full fuel, water, propane, food, gear and wife I'm at 8700lbs.

What makes yours so heavy? Diesel? Winch? Other stuff?
Yeah, I have a diesel with a winch, and Aluminess rear bumper with swing-arms (storage box, bike rack tire carrier). I also have dual batteries, solar and a Yakima cargo basket on the top. I'm kicking myself for not getting individual axle weights-I may need to go back to the scale.

Back
Top Bottom