Finally Picking it up! DRE's new camper

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member
Hey all,
Just wanted to start a thread mainly as a place to document mods and ask questions as I get into the new camper. For the camper, I ordered a Flatbed Hawk with the Silver Spur options. It just got delivered to the dealer, Main Line Overland and I'll be picking it up on Thursday. It's the one in the back of the picture below.

img_138835_0_1f7fd2bcfcf8cd7b1ca544cc58eeab21.jpg

So about my the truck. I'm using an '03 Ford F250, crew cab, long bed with the 7.3ltr. I recently purchased the truck w/ 80k miles on the clock. So far, I've put a 4" lift on it and 35" tires to be balance out the length of the truck looks wise and to give me a little better break over angle for such a long truck. I also installed air bags on the rear to make sure it can carry the weight without sagging. Performance wise, I've added a 4" exhaust, intake, and a programmer to hopefully be able to pull the additional load a little better.

Here is how the truck looks right now.

img_138835_2_d3b48b264b111deefad101e4ee8cc83d.jpg

img_138835_4_80a263abcf4e505972e3e7757017f7e2.jpg

Wish me luck on the pick up.

Don

-

I've been following some of your posts on overland expo too.

You are setting up a fantastic camper.

We'd love to see some pictures as you get it all put together!

The biggest reason for the large box in the back was space for a spare. With 35s, it obviously wouldn't fit in the stock location. I thought about using the stock spare, but wanted it to be full size, and I also wanted to make sure that we can have a grey water tank built in, since that is "required" for some camping sites we've seen (mostly beach camping areas). That grey tank will go were the stock spare was. Truthfully, I'm not sure what else is going to go in there at this point until we figure out what additional stuff we'll need to be bringing with us. This truck camper stuff is new to us, and my previous trailer had a lot of storage in it for random camping supplies. I'd rather not have a lot of camping stuff thrown in the camper, so most likely the box is where it will all live. We'll have a the normal camping stuff like a table, EZ-up, and chairs in there at least, as well as a portable stove and supplies box. We'll have to see how far that takes us, and what type of room we have left. I plan on building out a wood frame inside with shelving once I see where everything can fit. Bikes can go on a hitch receiver on the front or back.

Most of the time though, we'll have a trailer in tow for things like bikes, kayaks, or motorcycles. Also, the trailer will have an outdoor kitchen in it (the wife's main requirement). The kitchen will be tear drop style, but in the large 4'x4' door in the front.

img_138849_1_83b69563abad38605ce25e1f5ad3127a.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to get work done today...

Don

-

Nice, tomorrow won't come soon enough. I like your trailer. Make sure you post plenty of pictures inside and out and also of the finished trailer. I like how your trailer top raises. We don't have all of the toys so a trailer won't be in our plans. jd

Awesome, can't wait to see it come together. Very similar to the build I'm dreaming of.

Hi Don...

Congratulations on a very sweet FWC camper! The lads at Overland are a great bunch. Camped behind there rig at Overland Expo - East last October.

Did you perform any added payload upgrades to the springs when you had the lift installed?

I too have a '03 Super Duty. I bought it new. I installed the 2.5" Old Man Emu kit with the optional 1200# overload spring to carry my slide-in Hawk. Likewise, I couldn't be happier; especially with the super compliant ride of the OME springs. I installed a Banks stainless steel exhaust and chip when new. On the highway, with or without the camper I average 16MPG, in town just over 10MPG. The 7.3 does not like UL sulfur diesel fuel. Doesn't hurt it, just poor fuel economy. But, at the new Super Duty prices, I can buy a lot of diesel fuel!

The big bore exhaust is a must especially if you are at high elevations and climbing steep grades. If you haven't installed a Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) gauge, I would encourage you to do so; especially with the flatbed camper AND pulling the trailer. You should also consider a transmission temp gauge. I came across several grades in Montana and Colorado where I had to back off the accelerator to keep the temp 100C below red line. High temps are the bane for the 7.3; the cooler you can operate the motor the longer it will last. I have a set of 3 gauges in a pillar post mount; EGT, tranny temp and Turbo boost.

If you haven't gone through the motor or have good service records form the previous owner, I can happily share my 7.3 maintenance tips with you.

I look forward to your report regarding your rig and how it rides after the Hawk is installed. That setup is going to look super sweet and provide some excellent camping opportunities.

Very nice!

Thanks guys... Very much looking forward to tomorrow.

As for the truck payload, just air bags now as the lift was done with a 2" higher block (2.5" - 4.5"). I'll see how the air bags work and go from there. So far I've just added the EGT and the 4" exhaust, I'm assuming that's what you mean by a "big bore exhaust". I've been trying to stay away from the pillar gauge pod, but I may go ahead and do it. The EGT is on the steering column. I figured as long as the torque converter is locked, the trans temps should stay in check with a small trailer like and just the camper. I know it's a weak spot for the 7.3s though.

I would love to hear what you have to say about the maintenance. So far, I haven't done anything. I'll be changing fluids over the next couple weeks, but not sure what else to do. This is my first diesel, so I'm kind still figuring things out with it.

Don

-

Can you tell us more about your trailer and your plans for it?

It's a unique design and I'm curious why you designed it that way. I'm assuming it is a custom design?

Picked it up tonight. SO STOKED! There are a couple small spots I want to run over with caulk, but for the most part, it's in great shape and the build quality is awesome. Truck drives great and is nice and level with it on the back w/ 45lbs of air in the Firestone airbags. Power wise, I really couldn't notice it back there, but I only got up to about 50 on back highways coming home. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to work to weigh it, so I'll get some highway time. Anyway, on with at least a few pictures.

Notice that this is one of the first with the full length underbed storage. Very happy about that for, of course, the storage, but also the thermal break between the bed and the bottom of the camper. Hopefully I won't get as much condensation there that I've read about.

img_138946_0_1f306ad019efbdb0f0f0520e67b681a5.jpg

img_138946_2_1d2ee45f09c4913cf1984d82570afc3e.jpg

More tomorrow night. Took off work a couple hours today and need to finish some things up.

Don

-

Dito on the trailer questions. Clearly looks like wheels and tire match the truck. Looks like a great design. Can you tell us more about it?

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

97grandby said:
Dito on the trailer questions. Clearly looks like wheels and tire match the truck. Looks like a great design. Can you tell us more about it?
For the trailer, it's basically just the toy hauler. It will normally have a motorcycle or two in it for getting around while camped. I don't have any real drawings of it yet, but will basically just be a counter top with drawers under, and cabinets over. I'll be plumbing in propane and a quick disconnect for a stove or grill, and eventually get a small water tank and pump. There will also be a table that folds off of the door for extra prep room. An outdoor kitchen will make the Mrs. happy, and keeping her happy makes camping MUCH more fun. :D

I pick it up the first weekend in April. Work will start shortly after.

For the camper, I only snapped a couple pictures tonight of the electronics and under bed storage, just because they were something new and not shown other places. Those are below as well as a couple from a Grandby they have in the showroom, that is exactly the same with the exception of the size of the rear dinette. I'll add some more this weekend while it's set up. I'm camping in it one way or another this weekend, even if it's in the driveway.

And the roof, just because I was impressed with how they do the corners.

Don

-

Big thanks for sharing your story and pics. It really contributes excellent content to this site and others. Best of luck on your new adventures on congrats on the new rig. Love your flatbed and storage options. For me personally, the trailer is also very inspiring. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom