Finally Picking it up! DRE's new camper

Small update while it's raining outside. I took a day off of work yesterday so I could get a non-rainy day to do some work on the truck. Mostly just got the storage situated in the box behind the cab. Still need to figure out what is the best place for things, but there is plenty of room left over. Hopefully it will stay that way and I won't fill it up with crap we don't need.

Hopefully get some more time today/tomorrow to work on the kitchen setup for the trailer.

Don

-

Beautiful rig! I agree with others that under bed storage is a must for all campers. It does 2 jobs, increases storage and insulates the cabover...... Don't know why it isn't being done.

Happyjax said:
Beautiful rig! I agree with others that under bed storage is a must for all campers. It does 2 jobs, increases storage and insulates the cabover...... Don't know why it isn't being done.
Thanks! Very happy that I got the new storage format.

Got some more done for the trailer today. All of the face frames are completed and the main box finished. Should be able to install it in the trailer and finish up the counter this week.

All of the pieces cut and waiting for the rain to subside to put them together.

The box put together:

Assembled:

Where it will live. The blue tape is the outline where it will hit the floor and the front wall. There will also be a fold down table on the door.

More this week.

Don

-

Happyjax said:

Had time today to put the kitchen in the trailer. I still need to make the drawers and drawer fronts/doors, but that should be able to get done this week now that I have a little more space in the garage with the main unit moved and installed. Pics:

img_144652_0_ace7feda2bee66ad0600d46afca6b6be.jpg

img_144652_2_f72eccd61cb92267a69c773921bd7db5.jpg

Just a few pictures from recent outings. Took a week long trip to Acadia NP, the White Mountains in NH, and even hit up VT for two days on the way home. Everything worked out great and it was so nice to be on a longer trip. We could have easily kept going to another couple weeks. The issues we had: Truck sprung an oil leak when an O-ring on the high pressure oil system let go. $5 part and a $300 tow bill because I couldn't see where it was coming from. Turns out it wasn't leaking at idle. Once at the garage and we were able to get everything cleaned up, it was much easier to see and diagnose. Luckily, the garage let me in front a few other rigs they were working on and had me on my way in a few hours. Those o-rings will all need to be replace this winter. Only other issue is that we really missed having a fridge in the truck for cold drinks. It's always been in the plan to put my ARB 50qrt in the back of the truck, but time to work on the truck and get the seat modified didn't happen (since this year only came with a solid on piece seat). However, with all the issues trying to keep ice for cold drinks, I made the decision to get that done this weekend... It sort of happened.

First a few pictures from Acadia... Such a beautiful area. We could have spend another week there alone.

The sad tow... Lost 4 quarts of oil in a matter of 2 miles:

On the beach during low tide in Bar Harber:

One of the over looks on the "loop road":

No good pictures of the truck from the White Mountains, but we took one afternoon and took the cycle up the Auto Rd at Mt. Washington. Luckily we had good visibility. We had hiked it the day before and were in the clouds the second half with 50mph gusts.

At the half way point of Tuckerman's ravine trail.

Vermont was a good choice to wind the trip down. The campground we stayed at there split the drive home up nicely and was nice and relaxing. Spent all day in camp swimming in the lake just behind our site:

The only other thing new is that I finally had time to work the truck... Couldn't get the rear seat out to make the modifications to it (those bolts are a huge pain), but a new set of ratchet straps fixed that, at least temporarily.

Since I didn't spend much time there, I was able to put together the rear rack. Just need to get a trash bag to fill in the empty space and we should be all set. I'd been looking for a chance to play with the 80/20 alum. extrusion material for a while, so I decided to give it a shot here. Went together well, and seems very strong. Hopefully it will hold up.

This weekend we're taking a few days off and heading to Bristol TN for a college football game. More tailgating than camping, but should be fun.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom