Finally some progress

Lobster

Advanced Member
Took delivery off my Grandby shell late January. (Silver spur interior, fiberglass sides, fan, roof struts). Took it off the truck and rolled it into the garage as I need my truck for fishing. Each time I tried to do some work on it, something always came up. Found many ideas on these pages and was anxious start spending more than an hour here and there building them out.
Was able to prepare the truck(2015 long bed Tundra) somewhat. Added ride rite air bags, all terrain load range E tires, removed rear seats for dog platform. Installed undermout propane tank, 7 gallon horizontal.
My wife and I intend to camp with our 2 labs so we wanted to maintain as much open floor space as possible. Built a front dinette that can seat four. (Lagun mount, got matching fabric from 4wheel for cushions) 2 AGM 6 volt golf cart batteries and water tank storage under window. Slotted the wall and backlit for water tank site gauge. Table drops down to create another bed for dogs/future grandkids.
Installed an ARB fridge on a platform in the rear drivers side where propane tank would normally be. Porta potty underneath.
Had a custom cabinet built (I'm not talented enough) between fridge and dinette seat. (Matching finish) 3 full extension drawers, control center, and housing for xanrtrex inverter/charger, solar controller, water pump, propex heater, sink.
160 watt Solar panel on roof. Made a mount which allows tilting to hopefully optimize performance.
Built a mount for tankless water heater. It bolts to jack stand mounts. Tee'd my propane line and added a valved quick disconnect and water lines which allow heated water to return to sink or outdoor shower.
Trying to NOT cut vents, ports, hatches etc. through the side panels. So far I've managed to plumb water tank fill and vent, A/C power supply cable, propane lines, heater intake and exhaust and water lines through the underside.
Thanks for all the great ideas found on this site. Have been having fun with this project. Haven't figured out passenger side yet and need storage beyond my 3 drawers. Time to go camp, learn what we need, see others ideas to copy and customize.
Need a little help here trying to add pictures. Keep seeing File too big.

Jim

You're going to love the Tundra as a camping platform....well at least I do. You might take a look at the TRD sway bar. I found it to make a big difference. As far as loading photos, I go to "My Gallery" under your user name in top right corner and use the "uploaded". Then I attach the photos in a post. I am sure there are other/better ways but that method works for me. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress!

Sounds cool.

Easiest way to add photos to a post is to host them online somewhere (like Google Photos) and then just add the link to the photo using the little 'picture' icon just above the area where the text is typed.

If you right click and copy link address and then paste into the dialog you get by clicking on the picture icon (middle of the row of icons) you get this:

ZQEqqln.jpg

You need to do exactly what Stalking Light detailed. In your photo hosting site, bring up your image, right click on it, select and copy something that is like 'copy image address' and paste it into the box that comes up when you click on the photo icon...

looks like this...

woROHwa.jpg

Lobster1 said:
Right click? Can I do it from my iPad?
Nope, it takes a real computer, but let me check if there's a way to get an address. I use an iPad most of the time as well. I'll edit this if I find a way.

Ok, it is a pain to do, but here's how it's done. In imgur or other image hosting sites, bring up the image, click and hold until you have a box that says 'save image or copy' select copy. Open a new window in Safari, then paste the image into the new window. Now, tap in the URL area and select all, then copy it.

Now, you want to type in two sets of square brackets. These [] things... In the first set type in img and in the second set type in /img. Now, paste the copied URL between the sets of brackets. Fun? Nope, but it works. Like I said... A pain...

ZQEqqln_d.jpg

thats what i tried first but they get rejected as "file too big".
i know i figured out how to shrink 'em once…ill keep trying.
sorry to be such a problem, if only i were a 12 year old this would be easy.

Ok probably not the most efficient way but emailed a shrunken photo to myself, saved it, selected the smaller one out of my photo library.
Seems to work

Lobster1 said:
thats what i tried first but they get rejected as "file too big".
i know i figured out how to shrink 'em once…ill keep trying.
sorry to be such a problem, if only i were a 12 year old this would be easy.
You should get an option to select file size when uploading via the wanderthewest app. Is the smallest version still too large?

Looks like a nice build. Will be interested to see how you finish it. We are thinking of something similar for when we get a newer Tundra from our 05. Ditto on the sway bar - it really smoothed out the ride with our Ocelot and 05 Tundra.

I used a hydraulic Hansen fitting with a quarter turn gas valve in front of it. The water heater is outside. There's definitely a difference of opinion as to whether these fitting are applicable to propane, hence the additional valve. I've used these types of Hansen fittings for years on my fishing boats from compressed air while diving to hot engine water for bus heaters and of course hydraulics. Tested with soapy water spray and feel comfortable for this application. The water supply/return quick disconnects are available at Home Depot. Ran pex lines along the underside or the camper.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 107
I right clicked his Lobsters image address. Selected "copy image address" than moused over to the image icon pasted it
pressed ok and got this: probably because it is a "Thumbnail" photo.

post-7176-0-02029200-1498417574_thumb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom