Fire ring anyone got ideas

CougarCouple

Hi everyone
Well looking for ideas on a portable campfire ring. Was in formed that rocks were not enough. I think they just want camping in campgrounds. So as metal fire rings are not found in dispersed camping to much thinking of how I might make a portable one. Any one else out there doing this? Ideas?

Russ

Russ, I think going with something like Campfire in a Can or Little Red Campfire (both propane) are better options. In places where campfires are prohibited, these are usually OK. We have the Little Red Campfire... You can also use a steak saver adaptor and use the small propane bottles with them.

a9a9c4b1-2c3f-4045-9e80-2492df71e428_1.1d6e1242baaaed47c77ec0375658aeea.jpeg

Wandering Sagebrush has the right idea, especially in this part of the country. But if it's safe to light a fire, then I've used a water heater overflow pan with the PVC drain nipple removed. "Somewhat" portable but helps contain hot ashes.

We use a washer drum for those fires. Its "feet" are sections of 3" exhaust tubing bolted on edge to the bottom of the tub. I've pondered getting another one and cutting it to be 8"-10" deep.

Sad that the movie has combustible tinder right under the fire pan. No evidence of the area surrounding having been raked clean in a large radius as I was taught to do.

We use the "Anza-Borrego" method, a simple metal trashcan lid available for individual purchase w/o the can at (some) TrueValue hardware stores, maybe others? Upside-down provides a great containment surface for your blaze, then Inverting it over the ashy remains overnight (with a large rock on top) will greatly limit the odds of any escaping embers. Store it for travel in a large plastic trashbag. We've done it this way for many many years, ever since ABDSP began requiring it for dispersed campers like us.
Rico

Smoking outside of an enclosed vehicle (all windows closed) or building has always been prohibited when BLM or USFS is under fire restrictions.

ski3pin said:
Smoking outside of an enclosed vehicle (all windows closed) or building has always been prohibited when BLM or USFS is under fire restrictions.
I re-posted the link because I wanted there to be a direct link to the BLM rather than a newspaper article. Not being a smoker It never occurred to me that smoking is prohibited when there are fire restrictions. Makes perfect sense!

Good point, Paul. As open-air camping folks we can hope the 'dilution solution' is an effective deterrent against metal fume fever. Welders in enclosed spaces are known to have significant exposure to metal fumes, and OSHA has issued safety guidelines for these kinds of occupations. Yet there's no clear verdict indicating just how problematic open-air campfires might be, so it seems prudent that we'd try to hang out upwind of campfire fumes whenever possible while using any fire-containing metal rings, grates, trashcan lids, etc. And I'd be trying to do that anyway, as I don't care to be breathing any more campfire smoke than I have to.
Rico

I had a white paper written by an Engineering Consulting firm on the welding of zinc plated steel. It covered all of the aspects of the topic and is a good read. Once I find it.

One of the points made was that zinc heated in open air becomes zinc oxide, that white stuff that you put on your nose to keep it from being sun-burnt. Not that you want to breathe much of it, but it's not the oh-my-gawd toxic stuff capable of killing your grandmother by mere association that some posters on various forums claim "vaporized zinc" to be. I will post it if I can find it.

Doesn't the galvanize burn off after a bit? Obviously you don't want to stand over it and breathe deeply but I would think in the open after a break in period you would not be in any great danger. I was thinking if making a rocket stove with some galvanized pipe and just being careful until it burned off......
Of course that would be an outside deal :)

Hello everyone and thanks for the info/ideas. WS looked at one on the net,but I like wood. Probably will have to go that way soon enough, but for now gotta burn all the wood I've split.
Had not seen the lv no tr. will look at it. Liked your last trip, just up the road from us.
MDR good idea will look at that one also.
Galyon, I visited their booth at the expo, and have their info, heavy product, folds flat, serves two purpose. It a very nice product.
ntsqd, had a drum, bulky, didn't get the heat unless I was sitting on it. :) and I like to watch the fire. Thanks though, not for me.
RicoV, what do you do with the can, just kidding I wonder if the fire gets hot enough to gass off the galvanized?
I only smoke on our Treager guys but thanks for mentioning that so many fires start that way.( I'm thinking of just passing on a fire all together, but haven't gotten there yet. I just want a small fire, not going to blow off the states regs to do it though. Don't want to be that guy.
I will look PaulT. Nikonron will you cosign my loan ?? :)

Kmacafee, will take a walk around the neighborhood Sunday night , thanks.
ntsqd does it give the temp for when gassing off occurs?

happyjax let's wait for the info first. I was thinking if making a rocket stove with some galvanized pipe and just being careful until it burned off......What I hear is "Hay everybody watch me, I'll be ok"

Did find this wilderness 27 inch portable fire ring camco.
Will let y'all know what we do. I really appreciate all the post's, and thoughts.
Thank you.

Russell

What about using a metal oil drain pan?

They are about 16" in diameter have about 7" tall sides and are cheap.

not very big but easy to carry.

If you need larger a large steel tub from a feed supply might work (it think Home Depot carries some). I have seen them in many different sizes. Again they are cheap.

Regards,
Craig

For those who aren't ready to sit downwind of a fire ring made of galvanize metal....how about the end of a 30 gallon grease or oil drum? You can torch off the end with about 6 inches of the side wall intact and use that as your "fire pit" and if you want, carry a galvanized garbage can lid to place over it after "Lights Out".

Of course if you have the room and need more fire, a 55 gal drum would suffice.

A truly devious mind could construct a stand on it for a smaller sized Weber BBQ grill if one desired...

Back
Top Bottom