Fire ring anyone got ideas

Hi Klahanie
To have fuel bottle visible is a good idea, I guessing ulc is underwriting labs. What are you thoughts as to making sure it's ULC approved.
Thanks Russ

Edit sp

^ sorry should have typed UL. I'd guess certification after the fact would be tough. I imagine re sticking a label peeled from another product would be easier ... (kidding of course!)

I only mentioned it because here in BC there is an important distinction made:
"During campfire prohibitions, only CSA or ULC
approved portable campfire apparatus may be used
and flame length must not exceed 15 centimeters."

Not that this would matter to anyone outside of BC, but a similar type of qualification might be in place or coming to other areas.

Thanks klahanie
That does make more sense now. Next time I see ULC I'll know what that means. So your rangers are looking for stickers then they will know it's compliance.
I hear you on xtra stickers ain't got no Maple Leaf ones but if you need from a little south of the border that's different. :)

Russ

Long time lurker, first time posting. Figured this would be a good time. My friends have started a company making US made folding fire pits. They are super cool and great to use. They are heading to Overland East in Asheville right now. Check 'em out, I think some of you will really like them.
https://foldaflame.com
Foldaflame_CoalBee_2017_0319_Foldaflame-084_1024x1024.jpg

Hello Thevulture
I pretty sure it was the same folks I saw in expo west. I thought that their idea was good. But those plates are heavy, not to mention how hot they'll be and have to wait to cool off.
Russ

RicoV said:
We use the "Anza-Borrego" method, a simple metal trashcan lid available for individual purchase w/o the can at (some) TrueValue hardware stores, maybe others? Upside-down provides a great containment surface for your blaze, then Inverting it over the ashy remains overnight (with a large rock on top) will greatly limit the odds of any escaping embers. Store it for travel in a large plastic trashbag. We've done it this way for many many years, ever since ABDSP began requiring it for dispersed campers like us.
Rico
That's pretty clever and an inexpensive solution to a problem that a few manufacturers have made expensive solutions for.

Bought the Cp Chef propane fire pit. Comes with a case and I bought a 20 lb. propane bottle. No more smoke, wet wood, etc
I spent around $140 for everything.

Stainless steel washing machine drum.

Learned this from a fire marshal in CA. He picked up one from a laundromat that was getting rid of some old machines.

I picked one up from a used appliance store in Denver. $20 Guy wondered what I wanted it for. Told him it was going to be used as an enclosed fire pit when camping. His eyes lit up, said "what a great idea!!"

It works incredible. When done, dump it out and put it in a large trash bag for storage.

Been questioned a couple times by rangers during limited fire bans. They where OK with it because it is an enclosed fire pit.

With all the holes in the drum for air, it burns incredibly hot. Almost zero sparks come out.

For those of you who like campfires you might check out the Biolite Campfire Pit. https://www.bioliteenergy.com/collections/stoves

I don’t have the pit, but I have the smaller biolite Campstove 2 which I have used for tent camping and carry as backup in my Ocelot when outdoor flame is permitted.

All the biolite stoves can be used to generate electricity which I think is pretty awesome.

Re: washer drum, it doesn't have to be a stainless steel version. Ours is porcelained and it works just fine. It does NOT get hot enough to melt the porcelain. Ours came from an appliance recycling center, specifically MARS: https://www.facebook.com/MARSrecycling
They did the removal and keep a small inventory of washing drums to be sold for this use. Price was also VERY reasonable.

Great idea that and leave it to California folks to have a re-use place for cool stuff. I saw a you tube of a guy who used a washer machine motor converted to a generator and set up a small stream power wheel with the drum and paddle...ingenious. If I can find a place to get one I will use the washer tub idea. Reusing stuff is the way to go!

If the washer tub is maybe too big, I thought so, try a spaghetti pot strainer. I bought one at the local Ikea and I think it was about $8. I put some legs on it and now have a mini version of the washer tub pit. Your fire has to be smaller but I'm OK with that and you'd be surprised how much heat comes off a pit that's only 3-4 gallons in size. Decent size to cook over too and finding a grill to fit over it is easy as cake.

I picked up a Solostove Bonfire just before New Years. www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire

We've taken it put on two trips, and it fits on the floor or our Hawk (rollover couch). We fill it up with newspaper and wood cut down to ~12-16 inches before we pack it in the camper.

Before purchasing it, I was intrigued by the claim of low smoke production. While it does produce smoke, especially as the fire is starting up, the level of smoke production is lower than you'd expect once the chamber heats up and the secondary combustion kicks in. When that happens, the fire is visually unique, as it whirls fire from each of the upper vents. It's mesmerizing!

Overall wood consumption might be a bit lower than you'd guess, but it's not remarkable. The small quantity of ash produced is very noteworthy, as is the overall amount of heat produced.

It was $299 when I picked it up, which is about $299 more than I'd ever guessed I'd spend on a fire pit, but I really, really like it. It's made in Texas, and the materials and dual-walled construction seem top notch.

Look on YouTube for some more reviews, and you'll be sure to see the spirals of flame that everyone comments on the first time they sit by it.

Back
Top Bottom