Fire ring anyone got ideas

IMG_3117-L.jpg

Primus Kamoto OpenFire Pit, comes with a grate that fits on top for grilling. Folds flat, about the size of a big laptop.
$129.95
https://www.backcountry.com/primus-kamoto-openfire-pit?CMP_SKU=PMS002L&MER=0406&skid=PMS002L-ONECOL-REG&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=F12D0E5C-8209-E711-80FE-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=Cj0KCQjw78vLBRCZARIsACr4cxx3sNXUaQXmP39NyrrQsLmzIu4hqQ6Mdk7sVX0HFLtJApRaINtGzVYaAhl2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

IMG_3123-L.jpg

I needed one while prepping for my trip to the Owahee last year so I spent a couple hours in the workshop and built a 'prototype' with stuff I had lying around. The thing folds together to be an inch thick. Minimal skills needed with the welder. It worked out so well I have not seen the need to build a better one yet, although I may get bored and do one someday I am sure. We use it dispersed camping, camping on the ski hill, and I even throw it in the kitchen box for raft trips.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_200827.jpg
    IMG_20170722_200827.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 241
Hi Trout1 Project
Nice looking campfire pit you got there. Congrats on a job well done. Thanks everyone for the help.

Russ

munchmeister,
How do you like the Kamoto?
Did you get the carry bag, also? Or, how do you store it after use?

Paul

Well everyone I said I'd let you know where we landed for a camp fire ring. So after much thought, rereading the thread responses the winner is ..........

https://www.ebay.com/i/222277550195?chn=ps&dispItem=1&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fp%25252FCamco-58031-Little-Red-Campfire-Portable-Propane-Camp-Fire-Camping%25252F1242270539%25253Fiid%25253D222277550195%252526chn%25253Dps%252526dispItem%25253D1%2526itemid%253D222277550195%2526targetid%253D325872779955%2526device%253Dt%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D1022639%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D852941459%2526adgroupid%253D41513067537%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-325872779955%2526abcId%253D1128846%2526merchantid%253D110817221%2526gclid%253DEAIaIQobChMIk-3Q97qt1QIVT5J-Ch0WwQppEAQYCyABEgIzFfD_BwE%2526srcrot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1269643985993

The Little Red Campfire. I'd like to explain how I got here. Started looking at the campfire in a can, ok that's not a real product you can buy but liked the idea. This LRC kept coming up.seemed like you can use them any where, adjust the size of fire, turn it off when done turn it back on if you want. Most important you will probably never hear how I burned down a couple hundred thousand acres of what we all like so much. Ski3pin in a old post said they don't do fires but like looking at the stars, hay cool me too, but I like the fire also let me read more about that LRC again. Showed the wife and she thought it was great idea. (Internet makes me look real smart, thanks folks). So I found one for a hundred bucks, a 11 lb propane tank for 60.00 . So if you see it posted in the for sale section...... well you get the idea.

Thanks again Russ

The whole fire ring topic got me to thinking. We've always used existing rings and follow the "leave no trace" principle of doing without if we camp in a "pristine spot". However, Sioux does love her campfire. So bopping around on Amazon I found this.

I like it for the compact storing advantage. It obviously is for small fires (5 KG weight limit) so I'll report back affter our big 17 day Durango-Denver odyssey.

Steve

Hi All, I have always used a" Smokey Joe" Webber bbq , 1st to bbq with, then remove top grill (be careful ) and add a dura-flame log . Leaves no trace, gives plenty of heat, and after 3hrs everyone is ready to go to bed.

RicoV said:
We use the "Anza-Borrego" method, a simple metal trashcan lid available for individual purchase w/o the can at (some) TrueValue hardware stores, maybe others? Upside-down provides a great containment surface for your blaze, then Inverting it over the ashy remains overnight (with a large rock on top) will greatly limit the odds of any escaping embers. Store it for travel in a large plastic trashbag. We've done it this way for many many years, ever since ABDSP began requiring it for dispersed campers like us.
Rico
That's a great idea. Scooping up the ashes when cool and you're on your way.

PaulT said:
munchmeister,
How do you like the Kamoto?
Did you get the carry bag, also? Or, how do you store it after use?
Paul
Sorry for late reply. I like it but have not used it much. I like how it catches ash at the bottom, makes it safer & somewhat easier to clean. I just use a shopping tote bag, shove it in, but their carry bag would be worth having.

munchmeister said:
Sorry for late reply. I like it but have not used it much. I like how it catches ash at the bottom, makes it safer & somewhat easier to clean. I just use a shopping tote bag, shove it in, but their carry bag would be worth having.
I saw your review on REI (must have been as reviewer & flames seemed to match). I bought one from REI & the pack sack from Amazon. They arrived and I need to try the grill out this weekend. The pack sack from Amazon appears to be for the larger but unavailable model. Packs down to small flat package that, unlike my Smoky Joe will be easy to store in either camper or truck. I like the grid grill. If it cooks well, my search is over.

After trying Smoky Joe, a small rectangular gas grill, a similar rectangular charcoal grill, and the Australian Cobb charcoal grill, I'm ready to stop shopping. Some of these did well in cooking. All were a too large, greasy mess to transport.

Paul

smlobx said:
I was just reading a fellow wtw report on the wrt and they used a Quikfire propane ring.
It looks great and I have ordered one for ourself.

http://www.quikfire.com

Guessing that was Bill's report of our WRT trip. The Quickfire has been a great unit to have this spring summer. I don't always want a fire but when one is desired it's nice to have and is usually allowed where wood/charcoal fires are not.

One word of caution to all using propane fires, just because they are legal doesn't mean you won't get reported for having a fire in a "No Fire" area. When I returned from the WRT (I was the permit holder) there was an email from the NPS asking me about a campfire at the campsite we stayed at on the first night , reminding me of the no campfire regulations and also wondering if we had a fire any other nights while out there. I replied with a link to the Quickfire website, told them we had a fire every night and had verified that it was OK to use at the Backcountry Desk when checking in and got a confirmation back from the ranger that all was good.

Moral of the story, propane fires are still a bit of a grey area for some and checking the status ahead of time and then being willing to shut it down should someone object will go along way towards keeping them a viable alternative.

PS. Grand Canyon Backcountry Desk was unclear on the propane fires before I went into Tuweep in the spring and needed to check with Todd, the ranger out there, to verify they are OK. I also talked with him about them when heading out just to verify.

Firebans in all of southern Alberta and all of BC this summer so we decided a propane fire 'bowl' was the way to go as they are allowed in fireban zones - no sparks less smoke.
Went with the Outland Firebowl Deluxe - about 2 ft across - comes with 10 foot hose and regulator - for use with 20 lb propane tank and the lava rock and a ring to sit your propane tank on to keep it level and off the ground. Also comes with a lid and a carrying handle that locks the lid on and allows you to carry the whole thing with a nylon handle. Produces 58,000 BTU and doesn't suck too much propane - recreates the ambience of a fire - minus the nice wood smell - great for smores and hotdogs. Got it at Walmart for $140 CDN - that would be about $110 US

An update on the Primus Kamato Firepit. We took it with us to BC & Alberta. Can't have any wood fires anywhere, but charcoal is ok in some campgrounds. Unit sets up easily and we just started the charcoal in the grill (no chimney). Put on the grill to cook burgers & keep some sauted mushrooms warm in foil. For a single layer of briquetes, the grill is really too high above the heat. Slid the grill toward one side dropping the edge into the firepit to get burgers closer to the coals. This worked fine and burgers tasted great. Solution will be a couple of 1" or 2" thick fire bricks to put under charcoal.

Grill cleaned up fairly easily with scrubber sponge & dish soap. Rest cleaned up with paper towels & dish soap. All stored in Primus carry bag which can be used to carry uncleaned grill for cleaning at home. Don't like carrying bear attractant like that so I clean grill.

Need to cook meals when there is no wood fire ban to see how it cooks with wood and to see how it works as camp fire pit, but like it thus far.

Paul

wrsmith22 said:
Firebans in all of southern Alberta and all of BC this summer so we decided a propane fire 'bowl' was the way to go as they are allowed in fireban zones - no sparks less smoke.
Went with the Outland Firebowl Deluxe - about 2 ft across - comes with 10 foot hose and regulator - for use with 20 lb propane tank and the lava rock and a ring to sit your propane tank on to keep it level and off the ground. Also comes with a lid and a carrying handle that locks the lid on and allows you to carry the whole thing with a nylon handle. Produces 58,000 BTU and doesn't suck too much propane - recreates the ambience of a fire - minus the nice wood smell - great for smores and hotdogs. Got it at Walmart for $140 CDN - that would be about $110 US
how are the lava rocks for mess? can you bbq on this? would the grease burn off or ?

Good points worth repeating. Earlier this month a ranger in a southern AB Prov Park told they were averaging about 5 calls a day (and it may well be during daylight hours) about illegal campfires within the CG that, following inspection, turned out to be lpg type devices (permitted at that time). They now ask the person reporting if he/she specifically smelled wood smoke - after all, they have limited "man" hours to deal with keeping postings current, education, enforcement etc.

One word of caution to all using propane fires, just because they are legal doesn't mean you won't get reported for having a fire in a "No Fire" area.

<snip>

Moral of the story, propane fires are still a bit of a grey area for some and checking the status ahead of time and then being willing to shut it down should someone object will go along way towards keeping them a viable alternative.

If you do purchase a propane campfire unit it might be a good idea to ensure it is ULC - EDIT or UL - approved and when in use position the fuel tank to be visible to passersby.

Another satisfied user of the Quickfire.
We just returned from a two week trip to Nova Scotia where firewood fires were generally allowed but found out that the Quickfire was just so easy to set up and deploy (we did add an extended hose) from our onboard propane that I preferred using it.
It's nice that it fits compactly into its carrying bag when done also.

Back
Top Bottom