Fire Season is Here

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
A nasty fire in the Columbia River Gorge at Biggs Junction, buildings burned. Another fire between Canby and Oregon City. Highway 99 closed.

Edit: the news just reported I-5 in PDX closed because of a mobile meth lab explosion. Sheesh!

A Fire Weather Warning was issued for Central Oregon this afternoon. Kinda early in the season for this...

... Red flag warning now in effect until 8 PM PDT Friday for gusty
winds and low humidity for fire weather zones 611 and 640...

Campfire restrictions are set to go into effect tomorrow in Washington, wood/charcoal fires only allowed in designated campgrounds and firepits throughout much of the state.

Yikes -- this is going on now in Bend as of this posting. In a city forest park at the west edge of town:
Crews hope to hold Shevlin Park fire to 8 to 10 acres
Bend Bulletin, 11 June, 2015

This is not far from where the Two Bulls Fire burned over 6000 acres almost exactly a year ago and near where the Awbrey Hall Fire burned over 3000 acres -- including 22 homes -- 25 years ago:
Similar fires, different outcomes
Bend Bulletin, 15 June, 2014

Here in NM we've had an unusually wet Spring, and an easy fire season has been forecast. I'm staffing a lookout again this year, but it looks like it will be a low stress season. I have a feeling some of you to the west of me will be seeing our hotshot crews out your way.

Boy it sure is here-never seen weather like this! We are hitting the mid 90's today and for the next week or so-it's not August yet is it? My recent trip up to the Devils Garden on the Modoc NF was marked by violent T-showers, lot's of rain, thunder, wind and lighting with almost some cold nights, followed by hot days and nights in the hi 50's! From what I could hear on the radio there where lot's of lightning strikes. I was lucky because I was at a place that had both water and fish, but this area is still dry and in drought. Me thinks all that little bit of rain we had did was make the grass grow a little taller, making it both better fire kindling and rodent food and oh yes, making more places for rattlesnakes to hide! Some fire guys are going to be very busy this year!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom