Firestone air bags

idahoron

Well I have had mine on my truck for a year now. I read in my owners stuff that they will bleed off about 4 pounds a week. The left one might bleed off 4 pounds in a month maybe more. The right one bleeds off 4 pounds in about 3 to 5 days. So today I was switching from my highway Michelins to my Off road Maxxis Bighorn tires. I decided to figure out where the leak was. I filled the bag up to about 50 pounds and put soap on the connection right above the bag. Bingo, this was the one. So I pulled the tube out and found out it was not cut square so I cut it off and replaced it. I filled it up and no leak. I hope that does it.

I guess I didn't see that in the instructions.
Mine don't seem to lose any air,at least the left one doesn't.
The right just a little amount.
I don't keep much pressure in them as is.
Left about 35# right about 20#.
I will check them more now.
I always check them when the camper is being used,but during the winter just don't check as much.
Frank

I was a little off on that it says it should not exceed 3 to 4 pounds per week. It is on page 4 of my manual. I only put 20 pounds in mine but I am hoping that I can go longer now with the leak stopped.

idahoron said:
I was a little off on that it says it should not exceed 3 to 4 pounds per week. It is on page 4 of my manual. I only put 20 pounds in mine but I am hoping that I can go longer now with the leak stopped.
That sounds better.
Thanks.
Frank

Good to know they leak a bit. Mine does seem to lose some. 3-4lb sounds about right.

I've had Firestone airbags on my 2008 F-150 for 4 years now and the only time i have to add air to the bags is when I put the camper on. They seem to never change pressure unless I do it intentionally...

A little update. For the last year I have been checking and adjusting my air bags almost on a weekly basis. After fixing them I have only adjusted them to change between just truck or truck and trailer. They haven't lost any air at all. Now I am starting to like my air bags.

Back
Top Bottom