Firestone vs Airlift airbags

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi

We purchased Firestone Ride-Rite airbags a few months ago,...but have been having a really hard time actually getting them. They are on back order for several months from every distributor we have talked to. Our mechanic is able to get Airlift airbag kit. I am not familiar with Airlift and wonder if anyone has any experience with that company? Can anyone recommend or not Airlift?

Have had both... I would never go back to Air Lift... just too many issues... they blew out at the worst possible time. Rider rites on two trucks have never let me down (unless I aired down!)

I believe my 2007 Ranger had Airlift airbags, the Firestones would not fit that truck. I had no issues with them.

The Ski3pins may have them on their Ranger.

thanks for the replies...I am still leaning towards just waiting for the Firestone Ride Rites. Heres the big question....we pick up our new camper July 17 and are leaving July 19th for a month long road trip with the camper. The camper will be on a 2020 F250....will we be OK without airbags for that trip? Or is something that we definitely need?

I had Airlift on my '98 Dakota with Ranger II Shell and had nothing but trouble with them. They would always tear and need to be replaced just before I left for Baja. I finally just added stiffer springs. I also had the upper bracket bend on them.

Now on my '08 Dodge 2800 with Grandby I run Timbrens. I installed them myself on all four corners. Once installed they can be forgotten. About half the cost of airbags and they won't tear due to articulation like airbags. The only downside is that they are not adjustable. They were recommended to me by the spring shop when I took the truck in to have Firestones installed. He talked me out of the Firestones. Also, when the camper is off the truck, they are not in contact with the axle so you get the stock ride.

Your Super Duty will handle the camper with no problem without the air bags. Maybe just a little sag from weight, does your Super Duty have the overload springs from Ford? I installed the air bags on my Super Duty to help with sway from side to side, also to level truck.

I've had Airlift on a couple of vehicles- in fact have them on 2 right now, an FJCruiser and a 4Runner- but they are the in coil type so a little different that the external bladder types. No issues with them
Also have the Firestones on 3 vehicles- a 2020 F150, 1996 F350 and a 2018 Transit 350HD. No issues with them either- the ones on the F350 have been on there 20+ years.

Wondering why you think you need airbags. What is the truck’s payload and how much does the camper weigh?

I’ve got a FWC on a GMC 2500HD and it’s about 600lbs under GVWR. No need for airbags, truck sits level, handles and stops with no problems.

Doff said:
thanks for the replies...I am still leaning towards just waiting for the Firestone Ride Rites. Heres the big question....we pick up our new camper July 17 and are leaving July 19th for a month long road trip with the camper. The camper will be on a 2020 F250....will we be OK without airbags for that trip? Or is something that we definitely need?
It will ride fine without the airbags. I have a '21 F250 with a Grandby, and with the Firestone airbags. When the bags are empty, I notice a little more sway on turns, but never feels unsafe. Take your trip with peace of mind and you can put the bags on later.

I had AirLifts on my '01 Tundra for about a year. They were nice when I was driving (especially for the rare time when I would take the camper off and run some errands), but I always had to check the PSI and one leaked fairly quick and would have to refill with air every 3-5 days. The mounts for the bag to the bracket was pretty weak and ended up breaking off while driving on a fireroad.
AirLift's customer support was fantastic and replaced the bags over the phone, without even checking a receipt or sending them back. That being said, I sold the replacements and had Deaver put in some new leaf springs. No maintenance or checking, just drive. If I were to do it again I would do either Timbrens/ Sumo Stops or leafs, you can't beat the simplicity.

I'm convinced my Timbrens saved me from loosing my truck and camper down in Baja a couple of years ago. I have them on all four corners of my Dodge 2500. I just about lost control when I took a dogleg just a little too fast, overcorrected and dropped my right front off the pavement. I was back and forth 3 or 4 times before I gathered it in. Without the Timbrens I might not have saved it. I don't think anyone knows how their truck will perform in an emergency until they are in a situation like that.

Thanks for all the replies and info. Going to wait it out for the Ride Rites

I have 2019 F250 with Hawk, no air bags, no sag. That was the whole point of the F250, It's built to handle the load. It only sways a little because it got a literal ton on board. : )

I've had both, Firestone on previous truck, Airlift on current truck. I went with Airlift this time around because the model for my truck comes with a built in "bump stop".

I would see which features each company includes on their bags for your model truck. Not all are built the same, especially the way they mount.

But really though you can't go wrong with either one. However I will say I had zero leaks with my Firestone bags in the 5 years I had them. My Airlifts...that's another story. They are slowly leaking and I can't find where. Enough where I need to fill them up weekly.

Just one more vote for the Firestone bags here.

I ran Airlifts on a few trucks in the early 2000s and had issues with bags deteriorating and leaking. I've now run the Firestone bags on my older Tundra, my dad's Tundra and my F350. The quality of material and design is superior over the AirLifts.

I actually just removed mine from the F350 as I got some custom leaf's made. I will probably be selling them but am going to try and get them to work not for load capacity but for easy leveling camping on uneven ground.

Doff said:
I talked to my mechanic yesterday and they said that the Firestone air bags are available but the on board compressors, remotes, etc. are on indefinite back order. The bags can be installed but need to be filled manually. The compressor and other accessories can be installed when they become available. Don't know if this info is helpful to you or not.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom