First look at the Hawk Ute Flatbed

RC Pilot Jim said:
The "Ute" looks like it will make a great camping rig...Especially the under bed " clothes storage.
Did the distance from the top of the mattress to the bottom of the ceiling stay the same? or is it higher? or lower?

FWC will have a winner if you can still sit up in bed to get out. You can't do that in a Northstar.
Jim I will have to measure the distance tomorrow, I am curious too. It doesn't seem like there is quite enough space to sit straight up in bed but with a little crazy chair I think you have a shot.

hmt said:
Thanks. I keep thinking a Grandby Flatbed would really open things up. Question then becomes for my needs (wants?) ... is a dry bath possible realistic?

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike the Grandby Flatbed would be the most interior space you could get with a FWC. I don't know what a dry bath is but an interior shower would be doable. A one ton truck should be considered for that outfit.

"A one ton truck should be considered ..."

Yep. A Ram 3500 will probably be the base for my build.

RC Pilot Jim said:
The "Ute" looks like it will make a great camping rig...Especially the under bed " clothes storage.
Did the distance from the top of the mattress to the bottom of the ceiling stay the same? or is it higher? or lower?

FWC will have a winner if you can still sit up in bed to get out. You can't do that in a Northstar.
Speaking of underbed storage, it would be nice if FWC would offer that on the standard models. Anyone think they will do that in the future?

Texan76 said:
Speaking of underbed storage, it would be nice if FWC would offer that on the standard models. Anyone think they will do that in the future?
The cabover area would need to be at least 4" thicker to do that.

JHa6av8r said:
The cabover area would need to be at least 4" thicker to do that.
I would have room under my Hawk on my 2005 Tundra.
P1120088.jpg

billharr said:
I would have room under my Hawk on my 2005 Tundra.
I think the storage area would be too small to be useful, IMO. There's about 6" to the top edge. The area needs to accommodate the mattress (3" thick), the slideout, lifting panel, and push rod. The bigger issue is accomodating the slideout.

JHa6av8r said:
I think the storage area would be too small to be useful, IMO. There's about 6" to the top edge. The area needs to accommodate the mattress (3" thick), the slideout, lifting panel, and push rod. The bigger issue is accomodating the slideout.
Agree that the slideout would be the problem, Ute must have a full size queen cabover. If you did not use the slideout adding storage under the cabover could be done. Somewhere on the web is a picture of an alum storage that dropped in from the top with hatches.

RC Pilot Jim said:

Jim the headroom above the bed is about 29".

Our Phoenix has the under-bed storage. When the top is down there is no access. Makes it hard to use. Mostly we only store the broom and the pillows there, and I'm thinking the broom's on short time as it's too big to use very easily.

billharr said:
Agree that the slideout would be the problem, Ute must have a full size queen cabover. If you did not use the slideout adding storage under the cabover could be done. Somewhere on the web is a picture of an alum storage that dropped in from the top with hatches.
Saw the Hawk Ute self-contained at the factory today. Full queen cab over so no slide required. It feels much roomier than my Grandby with front dinette.

Back
Top Bottom