First look at the Hawk Ute Flatbed

montana-moods

Advanced Member
We got back last night from Jackson Hole with the Hawk Ute FWC on board.
It handled great coming home, though Teton Pass was snowy and a bit icy.

We arrived before they unloaded the goods. Four on the trailer and one on the haul truck. Quite a lovely load.

The Hawk Ute looking for a new home.

From left to right; Eagle, Granby and Hawk Ute. Sweet!

Loading the Hawk and finishing up the wiring.

Bolted it down to the flatbed. I ask for a couple extra bolts.

The supervisor taking a little break from the action to do a little yoga in the fading light.

Jackson Hole's iconic park at night.

All set up and ready for the return trip.
I will get some interior shots later and will take requests.
The fit and finish is quite nice at first inspection. Let the learning curve begin.

Nice looking rig. Was the double overhang above the cab optional, I'm assuming it is a storage area. I would really like to see some interior pics if you have any.

Beach said:
Nice looking rig. Was the double overhang above the cab optional, I'm assuming it is a storage area. I would really like to see some interior pics if you have any.
+1 I have a large gap on my Tundra/Hawk would like to see the storage.

Here is a picture of the under bed storage. Four bays at approx. 3.5"H x 35"D x 17" wide. Adds up to a bit of storage.

They did a very clean job of building this out. I'll post a few more later, I need to go roast some coffee.

Wow, that gives me an idea and I don't have near the skills to pull it off. Better stay away from the circular saw :)

Very nice, although I'm not quite sure why it was designed with the angled floor to rear wall. Seems it would have created a bit more space if it was square. Usually this design is for rear departure angel, but it seems pointless with this setup.

Espresso said:
Very nice, although I'm not quite sure why it was designed with the angled floor to rear wall. Seems it would have created a bit more space if it was square. Usually this design is for rear departure angel, but it seems pointless with this setup.
This may be a question for the design department, it may be for improved air movement. I like the look of it.
Most of the curved space is under the rear dinette seating. There is also storage under foot which may be typical. The other cavity is partially taken up with the propane tanks.

Here are a few more interior details.

Detail of the under bed storage.

Rear dinette, the swivel arm is very slick.

Here is a look at the table swivel arm, it is stout and allows for lots of easy movement.

The layout is a little different with the side door entry. I don't have enough experience with the traditional models to know how they diverge.

Cabinet detail looking towards the front.

Cabinet detail of the kitchen, shot from outside the door.

Espresso said:
I'd guess the rear is curved to help with departure angles. Probably no help on this style of flatbed but a shorter one with no bumpers to hang down and you'd be able to clear a pretty steep incline. That's my SWAG...

Thanks for the virtual tour.

Thanks for looking and the positive comments. Lots of devices to set up purge, fill, light, test and drain. But we are nearly ready for the maiden voyage.

How much usable space do you think you gained by going with the flatbed model over a slide-in?

hmt said:
How much usable space do you think you gained by going with the flatbed model over a slide-in?
Sorry but I can't really say, we didn't own the traditional Hawk so I can't speak from experience.
The under bed storage is going to be very practical as to how the other cabinet space compares? This does feel quite a bit more roomy inside then the Hawks or even Grandby's we have been in. We like the layout and the rear dinette, the side door was a big plus to my wife. It will be hard for awhile to get a head to head comparison, though I heard the factory is building a demo/show unit of the Hawk flatbed.

Thanks. I keep thinking a Grandby Flatbed would really open things up. Question then becomes for my needs (wants?) ... is a dry bath possible realistic?

Thanks again,

Mike

The "Ute" looks like it will make a great camping rig...Especially the under bed " clothes storage.
Did the distance from the top of the mattress to the bottom of the ceiling stay the same? or is it higher? or lower?

FWC will have a winner if you can still sit up in bed to get out. You can't do that in a Northstar.

Back
Top Bottom