First time camping freezing temperatures with water hookup now leaking

XJINTX

Dummy here again FWC closed so ask here. I'm at state park with water & elec. Reached 32 and windy. Went to explore and came back... water dripping under truck. Thought maybe just drip at intake fitting. Checked good... wife went in camper and water on floor. Something is leaking... I had drained freshwater before trip so is empty. I am guessing maybe water line from input? Should I try using onboard water by putting some in tank? Is there something I can or should check... nothing can be seen leaking inside where water pump is. I have 2015 Hawk with side dinette if that helps.

XJINTX said:
Dummy here again FWC closed so ask here. I'm at state park with water & elec. Reached 32 and windy. Went to explore and came back... water dripping under truck. Thought maybe just drip at intake fitting. Checked good... wife went in camper and water on floor. Something is leaking... I had drained freshwater before trip so is empty. I am guessing maybe water line from input? Should I try using onboard water by putting some in tank? Is there something I can or should check... nothing can be seen leaking inside where water pump is. I have 2015 Hawk with side dinette if that helps.
Roger, did you winterize with RV Antifreeze or just drain the tank? Did you dump the hot water tank back into the water tank? Your water tank holds about 2 gallons and your water heater about a quart of water.
We add 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze and then run water through the cold water and hot water faucet, separately until pink comes out. We do the same from the outdoor shower, first cold water then hot water faucet until pink comes out. We run more through the hot water faucet to make sure the pump has pink in it. We add another gallon into the water tank. The last thing we do is empty the outside drain. It takes maybe 15 minutes after emptying the water tank and hot water heater.

You have the drain line which runs on the cold floor to the back of your camper. This line and others are behind cabinets and a nightmare to get to. Take several 2-gallln spiggoted water containers when you cold weather camp. You can heat water on the stove for coffee and doing dishes.

You will have to trace the source. I don't think I would add water now, might just make things worse. I know my reply doesn't help now, but for later follow the steps above.

Are you hooked up to city water? Did you use the pressure gauge in the hose line? If you just connected a hose without the pressure gauge you probably blew a fitting.

Bummer. Hope it is an easy fix.

jd

Yes I use pressure relief and filter. I'm betting my hot water tank is now cracked maybe? Put water in freshwater not leaking. I'd guess however if I turn pump on it would try and fill heater? I don't see a fuse to turn heater system off just the on off switch. I'll wait a bit longer before seeing if onboard fresh works and leaks. PIA it would freeze that easy and just barely freezing :(

I seriously doubt you froze anything if the outside temperature is just touching 32F, certainly not the hot water heater. How long has it been below freezing? The hot water heater has a lot of mass and is insulated, so it would take a long time for it to freeze (days).

It most likely an issue with the pressure from the city water causing a fitting to leak. Even with a pressure regulator, the pressure is much higher than what the 12V pump could ever provide. It is just a matter of finding the leak.

Also - leave the heater (and hot water heater) on low, and the cabinet doors open if you think it will continue to be cold.

rando said:
I seriously doubt you froze anything if the outside temperature is just touching 32F, certainly not the hot water heater. How long has it been below freezing? The hot water heater has a lot of mass and is insulated, so it would take a long time for it to freeze (days).

It most likely an issue with the pressure from the city water causing a fitting to leak. Even with a pressure regulator, the pressure is much higher than what the 12V pump could ever provide. It is just a matter of finding the leak.

Also - leave the heater (and hot water heater) on low, and the cabinet doors open if you think it will continue to be cold.
Rando, I think you nailed it. I have only used the city water once, and like Roger, used a pressure regulator and filter. Fortunately no problems. I'm concerned about using the city water hook-up in the future. jd

OK I'm home now... need to try and find leak. Another dumb question... is there any access to plumbing from outside if I remove camper from truck? I don't remember any but it sure does look hard to see any leaks either from too much pressure at fittings or even hot water tank. Looks like I can remove the panel where city water hooks up or where we fill freshwater. Is that valve talked about the actual fitting where hose hooks up? Sorry for all the questions but planning another longish trip in 2 weeks.

All I can say is remove everything from the cabinets and remove the sliding draw. Use a strong flash light and locate all the water lines and fittings inside the cabinet space. Try to repeat when you discovered the leak, hook up your water hose and pressurize. With strong flash light look at all the fittings. Your hand will be a good asset feeling the fittings and lines to see if you have water on your hand and fingers. As you feel around with your fingers, wiggle the lines and fittings to see if you have a leak that only occurs with a certain flex.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom