First Trip in New Fleet

Santiam Camper

Advanced Member
My new rig is a 2017 FWC Fleet model on a 2017 Nissan Frontier crew cab, long bed, four wheel drive.

I took my first trip in my new last week. My wife and I spent three nights in a campground on the South Santiam River in Oregon.

It went pretty well for a first trip. The biggest problem was figuring out where to put things. I am used to going camping in a longbed pickup with a canopy so storage was no problem. Trying to combine tent camping and FWC camping at the same time may turn out to be a challenge. I think we will try a non-tent trip next time.

It became obvious that I have to work more on efficient storage techniques inside the camper.

I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to overcome the 500K file limit size.

Mike Madden
Corvallis, OR

It's a tough decision to give up the tent. We got a Kodiac 10x10 with sleeping cots and self inflated air mats. Traveled most states in lower US, slept like a baby in rain, sleet & snow, loved our tent, than upgraded and got a Hawk. After 3 months carrying the tent & gear although NFL/Atlantic Province in 2016 and 30 nights in Utah 2017, we decided to leave the tent at home. First trip out via Smokies than Cape Hatteras; Holy cow we got so much extra room & time on our hands at camp! IMG_2169.JPG

Mike, congrats. My suggestion is to take only what you need, hard at first but you will get there. We bought a Clam screened tent with sides for longer trips, takes a couple minutes to set-up. Nice to sit in if it is raining or the bugs are bad. We travel with things in the aisle and have a cargo carrier with cover that is attached to a Rakattack swing out hitch. We now travel with what we need. Happy camping. jd

Congrats on the new rig and have fun adjusting to the steps up. I have spent just 10 nights in mine, adding up fast though. I'm coming from motorcycle tent camping and truck camper shell. So there is plenty of space, properly filled is the key. I keep notes on each journey and refine as I go. Ive never been good at cabinet organization, right now trying to build a whisky and wine rack I can dedicate a small space , I don't need much .As I've met like minded folks along the way, exchanging small pleasures in a wilderness settings is a life treat.

Rock.

Unless raining, windy or mosquitos, I spend 80% of my FWC camping nights sleeping outside on the ground under the stars - thats what camping is about for me. I use a sleeping bag inside my Fleet, so the only extra equipment needed to carry is a backpacking pad for ground insulation.

For me, if I am not going to sleep under the stars, may as well be in the FWC rather than carry a tent too. I spend dozens of nights each year sleeping on the ground under the stars in Death Valley and all my secret camping spots on the east side of the Sierra - never in a campground. I have a 4x4 gen1 Tundra so there are lots of hidden spots that are great for camping.

Like many here, I come from a climbing and backpacking background, so having the storage space of a truck and camper, rather than a 3500cc pack for two weeks, is pretty easy. I do carry a camping chair as I'm not in campgrounds with tables, and that fits behind my roll-over couch. Other than that, everything easily fits in the FWC storage space, nothing in the aisle that needs to be moved each time I stop. I'm sure more creature comforts will creep in over time, but I'm good for now.

Congratulations on your first trip!

It will take awhile to figure out what you really NEED to take on a trip. After about 8 years with my Eagle I think I finally have it down pat. LOL. I used to take a tiny one-person tent with me because I snore like crazy and often got booted out by my wife! :D

Happy travels!

Chris

We use our Hawk for a family of 4, the first trip was rough, real rough... clothes and stuff everywhere, food under a diner seat, which was made into a bed 100% of the time, was a pain to access...just really bad planning on my part. Lots of frustration.

2nd trip we decided all "personal item" go where you sit in the truck when camping. Food goes above Fridge in a 12"x 24" bag/tote and also the cupboard under fridge. It was so much better! Since we don't cook in the Hawk, i picked up a rubber mat to cover the glass cover of the stove, so highly used items sit there

While traveling, sleeping bags go under dinette seats, BBQ grill and lantern go under collapsed table, folding chairs + clothes duffles go on top of the collapsed table, We have 2 small folding tables that we put on the floor while traveling, large bin with stove/BBQ utensils/propane tree/towels go on the 2 tables on the floor and last is the steps and my tool bag.

2 trips frustration free.

Enjoy your Fleet!
Live/Learn/Repeat.

Bob

Congrats on your new Fleet. And welcome to the Family.

Getting over the 500K limit is easy (well easy if you have access to a windows computer).
Here is the procedure:

[SIZE=14pt]Procedure to “embed” photos into Wander The West – Post[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]1. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Open Two WTW windows. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]First window go to Post and select edit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]3. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Second Window Go to YOUR “My Gallery” on your profile.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Upload pictures to WTW Gallery.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]5. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Click on “Thumbnails”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]6. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Click on “photo” to insert (enlarges it)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]7. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Right click on image. Select “Direct Link to this image”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]8. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Right click again . Select “copy link URL”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]9. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Toggle to First window. Place cursor location photo to be located and Left click “Image” icon on Tool bar.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]10 Paste URL into open field. Click Ok[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]11, If done successfully – a large photo will appear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Like this:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2016 SoCal rally in San Clemente near San Diego[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]
gallery_2684_1082_120434.jpeg
[/SIZE]

Back
Top Bottom