Fishing Tackle Storage

highz

Retreaded
In a recent new member welcome thread, someone asked about storage ideas for fly rod cases. I think that deserves its own thread, and could be expanded to all kinds of tackle storage solutions.

I don't have any special additions to my Eagle for fly rod storage. I just put my rod case(s), waders, vest, etc. etc. in a duffel, which I can stow in the truck cab at camp. I guess my philosophy is KISS. Either that, or I'm too lazy to make modifications. :rolleyes:

When I take the float tube, all other gear gets added to the compression bag that I got for the tube. It pretty much fills up the aisle of the Eagle. It then gets moved to the back of the truck cab when I set up camp. So far, that's been easier than strapping it all to the roof rack.

I do remember a thread here where someone attached tubing (was it PVC?) to the outside of the camper and used that for rod storage.

I look forward to reading about what others do.

highz said:

I do remember a thread here where someone attached tubing (was it PVC?) to the outside of the camper and used that for rod storage.

I look forward to reading about what others do.
That was mine ,I placed a 1" pvc tube on the roof edge to keep the fly rod stored when moving from one fishing water to another.
It works well but not as a storage area when traveling.
I, like you KISS "all" my fishing gear is in my vest than the waders and wading sandals are kept in a back pack.All together in back of my seat of the truck.
Float tube if I carry it than that would go in the camper like your solution.
My traveling storage : the 2 piece, 6.6' bamboo rod is in an aluminum tube that is held crosswise on the platform mod I made for the back seat area of the AC cab Tundra. The 4 piece 3/4w is in a clip similar to a mop/broom handle holder that you use for hanging them on the wall.Can't remember where I got the "wall clip",but it's a 2" one.
All this works well for me.Before this arrangement I carried them inside the camper.The long tube on the shelf by the window and the shorter tube standing up in the back right corner.
I like the arrangement now as they are out of the was and out of sight in the truck,but I can get to them without any problem.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4832.jpg
    DSCN4832.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN4833.jpg
    DSCN4833.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,127
While not a fly fisherman, I do fish with bait casting rigs. I store the rods in cloth rod holders inside a 4" ABS pipe permanently mounted on the camper roof. Capped at one end and a screw cap on the rear that's lockable.
Also in the pipe is my flag pole and flag. I've never had any damage to anything in the holder.

pole holder.jpg

I have an old Keystone the has a rod hoder under the cab-over above the window. It is a steel tube with hinged and locking doors on each end. Looks home made.

It was on the camper when I bought it. It clears my truck cab, is out of the way, is in a convenient location and works well.

It should be visible in the attached image.

Regards,

craig

Attachments

• 1984 FWC Keystone Front and Left (Driver) Side.jpg
    1984 FWC Keystone Front and Left (Driver) Side.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 429
Our rods travel in their cases on the bench in the camper. Waders, vests, tackle are packed in a small action packer.

ckent323 said:
I have an old Keystone the has a rod hoder under the cab-over above the window. It is a steel tube with hinged and locking doors on each end. Looks home made.

It was on the camper when I bought it. It clears my truck cab, is out of the way, is in a convenient location and works well.

It should be visible in the attached image.

Regards,
craig
That's a space I have thought of to store something. One problem my camper is on all the time and mounting something there and doing a nice job would be harder.For now I have enough storage space.
This thread has sparked some interesting ideas. Thanks Highz for starting it.
Frank

I mounted two rod holders under the small cabinet on the passenger side with the help of two "broom holders". The rod holders are Blacks Sure-locks. Works great.

I bought a drain or waste hose holder for an rv from camping world. It is basically just a 6" plastic pipe with a mounting bracket and removable caps on each end. It was on sale for $40 and it was exactly what I had in mind anyway. I just screwed it onto the outside of the camper underneath the side where it sits in the bed over the wheel well. I haven't put it the camper on the truck just yet but it should work with my setup. I am thinking of stuffing something soft in the forward end of it so the rods don't get damaged sliding back and forth. I can only fit the rod in there without the reels. Not flyf ishing though either.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/64-l-e-z-hose-carrier/1405

since you asked, I had to go out and find a place for this new beauty!

between the sink cabinet and front wall I have a narrow slot that fits a 4pc tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom