Flat Towing HELP?

XJINTX

OK, I have an off-road jeep I like to take to off road parks and camp there for the weekend. I'd like to Flat Tow behind my Superduty/Hawk. So I can use Hawk instead of tent camp.

Bought a ReadyBrut two bar with brakes. Finally got everything setup properly.

Issue is when I turn either left or right the Jeep turns front wheel left and stays there.

I know it's not an FWC issue and probably wrong forum but I'm lost.Has anybody possibly had this issue?

MODS delete if improper :(

I googled and negative Caster might be the issue?

Appreciate any input or thoughts. I'll get an alignment tomorrow.

All the time? My Jeep will occasionally do that on a really sharp turn but not most of the time. I have my Jeeps toe in set at a 1/4" in, spec is 1/8th but the oldtimers say thats not enough.

I've been flat towing my Jeep for years and haven't had that problem. Trying to back up will jack the Jeep wheels sideways but pulling forward straightens things out. I'm running about 6* positive caster and 1/4" toe in.
I'm not sure what model Jeep you have but I'd check alignment and any binding in the steering.

Can't offer any help, but interested in how it works out. I flat tow our JK with a ReadyBrute also (great tow bar/braking system, nice and easy) and to date have not experienced any problems.

How does it drive, does it self center? My cursory google foo came up with caster, steering box problems, after market steering wheel tightened too much, or possibly wheel bearings (bearing preload wrong). Do a quick check of components before they do an alignment, a lot of these shops would happily do the alignment , then tell you they found a problem with something that needs to be replaced, then you come back for another alignment after replacing it.

I've never heard of that issue either, but I'd definitely look at your caster. We use a small dual axle trailer with ours when we go wheeling because I'm always afraid of breaking stuff. But ours is not built up either... Almost all stock.

Hi XJINTX
I had that problem when I first tried flat towing my keep around the neighbor hood. I ended up disconnecting the front drive shaft. I think it was a combination of the front locker and too light of a rowing vehicle. Toed with a class B no problem.
Russ

LUCKILY it was the alignment... couple issues like Caster but mostly one lower control arm was 3/4 in longer than the other
1f641.png
:(
Had not had aligned since upgraded to new control arms. Lesson learned
1f641.png
:(

THANKS for all the help!!!!

I used to tow a 2003 jeep tj sport with a road master tow bar. no issues. I didn't use the brake option. im thinking if I sell my utv and get another jeep I would want that brake option. sounds safer.

With my big heavy truck and a very light Jeep I don't worry about the brakes. Stops pretty good and I drive pretty slow when towing. Maybe if I had a big heavy JK I'd want the brake option.

Hi Craig333
Each state is different on towing here in Nevada, I think the max you can tow with out brakes is 1500 lbs. I agree the heavy vehicle helps when towing, but doesn't make it legal.
Russ

You are correct now that I've looked it up. Looks like I've been doing it illegally the past 25 years. Seems its not a law that's enforced vigorously. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. Still in an accident I'm sure that could come into play.

Anyone have long term experience with the ReadyBrake? I'm liking the looks of it for flat towing the 4rnnr dinghy.

Not really long term but have towed with it 3-4000 miles. We tow a 2dr JK and have nothing but good things to say about it. Simple and easy to hook up, basic and reliable braking mechanism. Once you get the cable through and connected to the brake pedal, you don't have to mess around with it again (except for the occasional once over to make sure it's all ok). The cable does stay on so it will stick out, although I'm sure there's work arounds and ways to hide it if you wanted.

I had originally tried to find an electric system that would tie directly into the truck's brake controller, but the more I looked the more complex they got. Decided to just keep it simple, glad I went this route.

Followup... I really like Flat Towing over on my car hauler. As mentioned easy to install and unhook. I had to add a riser since my Jeep tow-point is the aftermarket bumper. As mentioned I have the brake controlled cable setup. In all honesty I do not know if even working. My super duty with FWC is heavy enough to handle it pretty well. I actually have the brakes in case of "Emergency" maneuvers.

A lot easier to align and hookup than the trailer. It will be nice to setup FWC campsite and be able to explore. Another advantage is I can add my receiver bike rack on Jeep and have our bikes at camp :)

craig333 said:
You are correct now that I've looked it up. Looks like I've been doing it illegally the past 25 years. Seems its not a law that's enforced vigorously. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. Still in an accident I'm sure that could come into play.
I know when I tried to see if flat towing was for me, I also towed w/o brakes. Doesn't make it ok, didn't get a ticket. Little older and more cautious cause that's when it bites you, and it probably won't be your fault. Someone else and guess who gets the ticket.
[emoji34][emoji34]

Russ

I flat-tow my jeep behind my pickup and have had the same problem...if you get a bungee cord and wrap it around the wheel at the 6 o'clock position and hook the ends to the front corners of the seat frame it will help pull the steering back to center.

When I flat tow, I stop in two blocks to check everything and then again in 3 miles and again in a half hour or so.
Is the hitch tight
Lights still working
Hubs on jeep not hot

That kinda stuff.

Back
Top Bottom