Flatbed utility trailer for storage?

ckent323 said:
A comment for what its worth:

I have a sloped driveway of stamped concrete pavers. The stamped pattern is similar to stone like slate - it is uneven.

I had trouble pushing my dolly, with the camper on it, around even the flatter part of the driveway. I finally broke two of the wheel hubs.

After a bunch of web searching I wound up contacting "Caster City" which specializes in casters and I spoke with Greg Howard who has been in the business a long time. He recommended some different casters for my application that I would have never thought of and I have to say that they work very well.

I recommend you contact them and explain your situation and my guess is they will come up with a better caster for you that will make it easier for you to move the dolly with the camper on it.

Now I realize that better caster will not solve the problem of a steeply sloped driveway but you comments about needing an hour to get over a 1" curb make me think maybe you need different casters.

http://www.castercity.com/

BTW: The prices I got were better than what was listed on the web page so don't assume cost before you talk to Greg. If you do talk to him ell him you saw a post on Wander the West from a recent customer recommending them.

Regards,
craig

Craig
What caster wheel did they recommend for you application?
Thanks.
Bill

Bill,

I ordered 4 each 9PYC8x2-S
Swivel Caster, 8x2 Blue Polyurethane on Iron Wheel with Slight Crown on Tire, Precision Sealed Ball Bearings.

and 2 each BSL4-FO
FOOT OPERATED Bolt-On Swivel Lock

I recommend you call Greg Howard and talk to him about your application.

Here is what he told me via email before we talked on the phone.

We always recommend that you use the largest wheel possible, but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 6" diameter wheel.
I would not recommend the injection molded Polyurethane Tire on a Plastic Center--you will need to replace the wheels more often than you will want.

Even though the center can rust, the Polyurethane Tires that are chemically bonded(glued) to an iron center will offer much better service than the injection molded style. I am partial to our Slightly Crowned Polyurethane Tire on Heavy Iron Center. The slight crown on the tire makes it a little easier to maneuver/change direction than a wheel with a flat profile tread face, plus they have Sealed Precision Ball Bearings that require no maintenance.
http://www.castercity.com/cm9.htm
https://shop.castercity.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9PYC6x2-S
https://shop.castercity.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9PYC8x2-S

Any of the Polyurethane Tires on METAL Centers would be a good choice and you may want to consider using either the Welded on Hand Operated or Bolt On Foot Operated Swivel Lock for two of the casters.

The swivel lock will give you better control if you have to roll the dolly more than just a couple of feet--when engaged the swivel lock makes the caster function like a rigid caster, but if you need to "jockey" it into the storage position, you can disengage it and you have 4 swivel casters again.
Once you determine which caster you would like to use, contact me and I will be able to save you at least 25% off the prices on the website.

It might be easier to discuss all of the options on the phone, so contact me when you can be near a computer if you would like to discuss your application.

Thanks
Greg Howard
Caster City, Inc.
8635 Bright Angel Way
Las Vegas, Nevada 89149

Phone: (800) 501-3808 ext311
7:30AM to Noon, and 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM, PST
Email to: Sales@CasterCity.com
Fax: (702) 522-1904

Regards,

Craig

ckent323 said:
Bill,

I ordered 4 each 9PYC8x2-S
Swivel Caster, 8x2 Blue Polyurethane on Iron Wheel with Slight Crown on Tire, Precision Sealed Ball Bearings.

and 2 each BSL4-FO
FOOT OPERATED Bolt-On Swivel Lock

I recommend you call Greg Howard and talk to him about your application.

Here is what he told me via email before we talked on the phone.

We always recommend that you use the largest wheel possible, but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 6" diameter wheel.
I would not recommend the injection molded Polyurethane Tire on a Plastic Center--you will need to replace the wheels more often than you will want.

Even though the center can rust, the Polyurethane Tires that are chemically bonded(glued) to an iron center will offer much better service than the injection molded style. I am partial to our Slightly Crowned Polyurethane Tire on Heavy Iron Center. The slight crown on the tire makes it a little easier to maneuver/change direction than a wheel with a flat profile tread face, plus they have Sealed Precision Ball Bearings that require no maintenance.
http://www.castercity.com/cm9.htm
https://shop.castercity.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9PYC6x2-S
https://shop.castercity.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9PYC8x2-S

Any of the Polyurethane Tires on METAL Centers would be a good choice and you may want to consider using either the Welded on Hand Operated or Bolt On Foot Operated Swivel Lock for two of the casters.

The swivel lock will give you better control if you have to roll the dolly more than just a couple of feet--when engaged the swivel lock makes the caster function like a rigid caster, but if you need to "jockey" it into the storage position, you can disengage it and you have 4 swivel casters again.
Once you determine which caster you would like to use, contact me and I will be able to save you at least 25% off the prices on the website.

It might be easier to discuss all of the options on the phone, so contact me when you can be near a computer if you would like to discuss your application.

Thanks
Greg Howard
Caster City, Inc.
8635 Bright Angel Way
Las Vegas, Nevada 89149

Phone: (800) 501-3808 ext311
7:30AM to Noon, and 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM, PST
Email to: Sales@CasterCity.com
Fax: (702) 522-1904

Regards,
Craig

Thanks Craig!
Bill

I had built a platform on wheels for inside the garage. We have dirt driveway and though this "worked" for five years it was a pita to get the platform out onto the driveway when I bought a larger truck that would not allow me to put the camper on in the garage. I bought a trailer and now store the camper in the barn for the winter...it also allows me to store it with the top up which I think is better for the 'canvas' I have a solar panel in the window and an extension cord so the camper's two AGM batteries are kept charged through the winter. To make life easier I installed a hitch on the front of the truck as well. I also use this in my work as I am constantly putting on another trailer to deliver furniture and having a front hitch is great for moving it around. So likewise with the camper trailer. We also use the front hitch for a bicycle rack, nice having them in front and not in the way by the camper door.

Attachments

• IMG_5046.jpg
    IMG_5046.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 142

Back
Top Bottom