Fleet comfortable enough for a couple?

BlackSkimmer

My husband and I would like to purchase a Four Wheel and have been looking at the Hawk and the Fleet. We would like to keep our low mileage 2000 Tundra and the Fleet would fit much better on this truck than the Hawk.
Was wondering if anyone can offer their experience about whether the smaller Fleet is functional and comfortable enough for a couple?
The front dinette looks like the most comfortable floor plan, but I haven't been able to see a Fleet with this floor plan. Is the Fleet dinette comfortable with two people seated, are the seats comfortable, and is it more functional than the side dinette floor plan?
Thanks

You're going to want to put a Hawk in a Tundra. Check the fit guide on the FWC website. The Fleet is made for a smaller truck like the Tacoma. You'll appreciate the added space.

The difference between the Hawk and the Fleet is the distance between the wheel wells. Hawk is about 13 inches wider. we have the Eagle shell (6 inches narrower than Fleet - same distance between wheel wells) It works well with 1.5 people in the cabin (one with bed pulled out all the way leaving 50 inches front to back for people) because the sink counter is only 15 inches deep - not 22" and the 'gaucho couch ' extends only 7 inches into the floor area and still it is tight.
The wife has "cabin" to herself in morning while I have my coffee outside. Then we swap positions.

For a couple you would be better off buying the Hawk and it will fit on your Tundra.

Just what Jim said.

Also we had a 2002 Hawk with the short cabover if the bed is pulled out not a lot of room to move around. I got up first and pushed back the bed so there was room for both of us to get dressed. We sold it and purchased a Hawk with a long cabover for this reason.

Bill

EDIT, after reading Ski3pins post: You do not have your location listed. You may be near several WTW members (we are all over). Most of us love showing off our campers, try to to looks at several and see what works for you and the wife. I was sure I wanted a front dinette, after looking and setting in several I did a side dinette. Just worked better for how we camp. Buy what works for you.

BlackSkimmer said:
<snip>
Was wondering if anyone can offer their experience about whether the smaller Fleet is functional and comfortable enough for a couple?
<snip>
This is a real open ended question and needs to be based on your size, what you normally take with you, and your camping needs such as during cold or stormy weather that will put you inside. My wife and I are extremely comfortable in our smaller ATC Bobcat. We have more than enough space for both of us in the camper at the same time.

I'd suggest climbing around in campers or doing mock ups to get an idea of space.

At least consider what experienced folks buying a backpack think about - a bigger backpack and you'll find things to fill the space. Watch the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves.

Good luck with your decision.

Boy talk about subjective. My pal Ski loves his custom Bobcat. It's perfect for them. On the other hand after owning a couple of Hawks and a Ranger Pam and I love our custom designed giant Cougar. IMO your first criterium should be get the camper you're most comfortable with or you'll never use it.

Also, Where do you plan to take your Truck & Camper. Things that stick out on both sides of your Truck, tend to be left be left behind; seared off against a Tree or a Rock.

I agree with Billharr, if you want to look at actual campers, tell us where you are and you will probably get several folks in your area who would welcome you. I wish I could have done that when I was thinking about ordering mine. I had to go to the factory in California, from my home in Virginia, to see them!

- Bernard

I spent 2 years researching truck campers and the last year communicating with Terry Budd at Four Wheel Camper. We also spent the past year customizing, on paper, what we wanted. We decided on the Grandby, so early this year I purchased a 2013 F-250 with 8' bed. We decided at the beginning that we wanted the front dinette. Originally I wanted self-contained, but after reading other posts it seemed that very few people had an inside shower. I visited the dealer in Eagle, Wisconsin and after discussing the options with Sean Dempsey, we cut out the inside shower and cassette toilet, opting for the outside shower and purchasing a porta potti on our own. Sean also talked us out of a second solar panel and suggested installing the wall plug. This gives us an option later to purchase a portable solar panel that we can set at an angle or to purchase the Free Spirit Energy wind generator. Sean also discouraged us from getting a portable generator. I had a wish list of extras that came close to $5,000, and by the time We discussed these with Sean the list was down to $2,000. We took our inaugural trip this past weekend, and already figured out things that we didn't need to take with us. It sounds like the Hawk would be the model to investigate. Visit Rocky Mountain Campers and they can show you all of the Four Wheel Models. The guys there should be able to help you make sound choices. Good luck. John

A bigger question to consider ... what kind of truck will you be buying next ?

I know Toyota trucks last forever, but your truck is now 14 years old. It is sometimes helpful to look into the future a little if having a camper is a long term plan (Ex: keepping the camper for the next 10 years).

If you are thinking about a full sized truck down the road (Ford F150, Chevy 1500, Newer Tundra, Dodge Ram 1500 etc.) you will probably want to go with the Hawk Model now, so the camper will move on to the new full sized truck easier.

If you are thinking about getting a mid sized truck when it comes time to replace your 2000 Tundra (something like a Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, etc.), then you might want to go with the Fleet Model now, so you can move the camper on to that new truck a bit easier.

I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra, Access Cab, 4x4 TRD and I really LOVE the Fleet Model on the truck. But When I typically camp, I am by myself or as a couple. Squeezing a growing family of 4 people in a Fleet is tight. It is even cozy with just a couple inside.

I don't mind the tight quarters inside, because the benefit of the smaller, lighter, lower profile, narrower Fleet Model on my older Tundra outweighs the extra space I would gain by putting the Hawk Model on it. The older Tundra trucks are not anywhere as big as the new Tundra's.

Feel free to call or e-mail if there is anything we can help with.

Happy Camping!

:)

Attachments

• four wheel popup truck camper central valley california.jpg
    four wheel popup truck camper central valley california.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 707
  • four wheel popup truck camper camping sonoma california.jpg
    four wheel popup truck camper camping sonoma california.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 551
BlackSkimmer said:
My husband and I would like to purchase a Four Wheel and have been looking at the Hawk and the Fleet. We would like to keep our low mileage 2000 Tundra and the Fleet would fit much better on this truck than the Hawk.
The front dinette looks like the most comfortable floor plan, but I haven't been able to see a Fleet with this floor plan. Is the Fleet dinette comfortable with two people seated, are the seats comfortable, and is it more functional than the side dinette floor plan?
Thanks
We also have a Tundra, Access Cab 4X4 Limited TRD ,our second truck to carry the ATC Bobcat with a side dinette. Our first truck was a Ford Ranger. The Bobcat fits the Tundra nicely although the floor is about 6" narrower than a Hawk would be due to it was made for the Ranger. Having those extra 6" would be nice but that's not possible unless we get a new camper
That said it's only the two of us and there is plenty of room,we think.
We are not big people so we can sleep across the bed so we don't have to use or carry the extra cushions for the extend bed.

The camper doesn't extend beyond the truck sides so it's easy to see along the sides in the mirrors.
As for storage what can I say,most of these campers have limited storage inside so you have to be creative in what you take or if you can use the area inside the Access Cab for storage. We have our camper on full time so I don't need the rear seat and have converted it to "organized" storage.
I like to think we carry everything we need and not things we don't. It takes some organizing and compromise to use one of these campers,no matter the size IMO.

We have had out Bobcat almost 5 years and try to use as much as possible. We have taken some very long and some short trips with it. Our longest was 5 week to Denali and the Yukon.

This is an investment and should be given some thought.

There are a lot of members who have a 1st gen Tundra with Hawks and have had great success with them.They are also a good fit.
The over hang isn't to bad as it only sticks out a few inches on either side.

As a now Tundra owner I know how you feel about them. We have enjoyed ours. It was a used one with 122K miles on it but well taken care of. I like the size just enough larger than the Ranger but not a big beast on the road.
By the way the main reason I got rid of the Ranger was it had the smaller V6 and was so under powered and not a good rider.
Hope all the comments are of some help.
Oh the FWC Fleet is the same size as the ATC Bobcat.

If you live anywhere near or plan to travel to the Monterey Ca. area please feel free to contact me if you want to see a camper.

Frank

Looks like you're in Colorado? Definitely go visit Rocky Mtn Four Wheel Campers in Arvada if you haven't already. Maybe a week ago he had a few campers in there, I assume with different floorplans - check them out and see if you like the layout. If you spend a few minutes sitting in each of them with your husband you'll probably get a feel for what you like.

I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with - once you have the ability to go anywhere (easily, and stay warm and dry) you'll quickly adapt to whatever you got. Over time, you'll just make mental notes about how to lay out your next camper...

camper101 said:
Looks like you're in Colorado? Definitely go visit Rocky Mtn Four Wheel Campers in Arvada if you haven't already. Maybe a week ago he had a few campers in there, I assume with different floorplans - check them out and see if you like the layout. If you spend a few minutes sitting in each of them with your husband you'll probably get a feel for what you like.

I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with - once you have the ability to go anywhere (easily, and stay warm and dry) you'll quickly adapt to whatever you got. Over time, you'll just make mental notes about how to lay out your next camper...
Perfect idea.
We went to both makers before we made our choice. Sat in different models and worked the roof also. Asked loads of questions and got good answers.
IMO there are options that are a must. Here are some of the ones that are hard to add after build.
1. heater
2. aux battery system
3.dinette side/front
4.roof lifter struts
5.solar or plug for future solar
6.extended cab over bed (I think this is standard)

Good hunting
Frank

I think the fleet is definitely functional for a couple. It helps to have one person at a time in the camper when standing is required- cooking, etc., and we have meals outside unless weather or bugs drive us inside. We have the side flip couch that's quite comfortable to sit on, plenty of room side by side, and we don't use a table. So can't comment on the dinette.

Comfort is a more relative term I think, and it depends on what you are used to. Our experience had been camper shells and tents, so I'd call being able prep, cook, and clean up meals with ease while the wind is ripping outside to be downright luxurious. Same goes for leaning over and firing up the furnace on a cold morning. To us, the cushions in the cab-over bed are plenty comfortable. We usually don't use the slide out function to save space - don't have to bring the extra cushions that have to be stacked on the couch or other wise get in the way when not in use. And while no one wants to be stuck inside while camping, there is plenty of room to stretch out and read on a bad weather day.

Definitely agree with others who advise to keep your stuff/food/gear organized. We keep our clothes and personal stuff in duffle bags in the truck extended cab, and there is plenty of room in the camper for food and cooking stuff. We have the full cabinet option and 12v 65L fridge, which is small but works great (with solar), if you organize and plan ahead a bit. Also recommend the flush mount stove and sink if you can swing it, because the tops fold down flush to the cabinet and give you that much more room.

Have fun!

Echoing Will and others, while in Oregon on my solo 3-week trip. I spent 8 of the 9 days prepping food, cooking, and cleaning up inside the Eagle. Surprised myself by not cooking outside for the rest of the trip. It was far more convenient to do everything inside.....at least for one person.

Sitting on the comfortable "gaucho" side couch i use a small folding table and top of the Fridge as additional counter space when the portable stove is sitting on the counter. When making salads, place the stove underneath the counter on top of camp kitchen.

Bed is pulled out 15 inches to hold 2 of the 4 small cushions. Bed holds extra cushions. Small duffle bags are placed on the wheel well box on passenger side of the top loading Fridge in front of the couch cushion (20x46") leaving more than enough room for one person to make meals or two to read in the evening.

When making coffee we carry coffee in bags (like tea bags) use very little room. We were tent campers before purchase so really enjoy the amenities of a small camper.

Back
Top Bottom