Fleet Exterior Problem Repair

steelhead

Hi all,
Looking to the collective knowledge of this forum for some guidance about how to fix a problem that has surfaced on the cab-over section of our Fleet. We are not sure what caused the problem but we first noticed it earlier in the summer after storing the camper outside throughout last winter. Based on the photos below, our best guess is that it could be a scrape or ding from a tree that got wet and then blistered. This is the only spot on the camper that has this problem. Regardless of the cause, it needs to get repaired before the rains come to Oregon again this fall. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

steelhead

Camper_Issue_1-PS.jpgCamper_issue_2-PS.jpg

What is that chauking like substance in the middle? Is that a hole through the thin aluminum and through the aluminum frame? The only time I have seen anything like this had to do with a ground wire near a marker light. Others have had issues near screws. Can you provide a little more on the description side. Hopefully others can provide some input. What year camper? Contact FWC for sure. jd

Thanks for the replies guys. I did try to search but came up with no hits - I will try again.

For background, the Fleet is a 2013 model with the Silver Spur exterior option. Longhorn - I am not quite sure what the materiel behind the exterior skin is.

Thanks again.

Howdy

For a more sucessful search try a yahoo search ...ie "WTW corrosion."

The larger search engines seem to find things faster and more directly.

David Graves

PS sure looks like corrosion but can you post a close up ?

Thanks David. I will try other search engines and I will get more of a close up posted tomorrow.

steelhead said:
Thanks David. I will try other search engines and I will get more of a close up posted tomorrow.
Is the hole through the thin silver skin only or through the skin and frame? Behind the skin is the thick aluminum frame. Is this the front of the camper?

Longhorn - the problem is on the side of the camper - just behind the driver's side door. And no, it does not look like the frame is involved - only the skin. I am hesitant though to dig deeper into the problem area without having some idea about what I am getting into. Hence the post to ask if anyone has dealt with anything similar. Thanks again for the replies.

I'd want to know what he material behind is, that is showing thru. If it it a wood product that might have dry rot and how extensive that might be. If it is soft for eg. I'm guessing nothing is showing on the inside...

If you don't find an answer searching here could look into repairing residential AL siding (maybe with epoxy) and/or repairing AL gutters (maybe apply a patch)

Thanks Paul - that search did return some hits about corrosion. Unfortunately, almost all of them were about screws, staples and rust. After thinking about this last night, I guess what I am after is how to patch and waterproof the aluminum skin once all the affected material behind it is removed and replaced. I could not find any info about that aspect of the problem. I have added another picture to help illustrate the problem.

Thanks as well to everyone who has responded.

Camper_issue_3-PS.jpg

steelhead said:
Thanks Paul - that search did return some hits about corrosion. Unfortunately, almost all of them were about screws, staples and rust. After thinking about this last night, I guess what I am after is how to patch and waterproof the aluminum skin once all the affected material behind it is removed and replaced. I could not find any info about that aspect of the problem. I have added another picture to help illustrate the problem.

Thanks as well to everyone who has responded.
attachicon.gif
Camper_issue_3-PS.jpg

As suggested, send this photo to FWC...go to the source for information and possible repairs...mean time use 200 mph tape over it...

Ps...if that center hole is soft...that grey may be the insulation material...not certain when FWC went from soft insulation batting to hard foam insulation...

Hi

Thanks for the close up image.....by all means FWC is your best info resource.

But, for us other owners......where is this on the camper body ? I saw part of a hold down clamp in your earlier image. I wondered if it is an impact from road debris but remember you said it is not on the front of camper.

Has the damage "appeared" on it own or can you remember any impact here to the outer skin ?

Is there anything steel inside or behind the "corrosion" ?

Thanks for sharing.

David Graves

Nehalem, Or

Thanks again for the replies.

Wallowa - the materiel behind the skin appears to be wood. I was able to scrape away a little bit of it which appeared to be affected by water. It was solid just a little way inside the hole. The problem area is near the bottom the section that goes over the truck's cab to make the sleeping area.

David - the problem area is on the drivers side of the camper, just behind the door so it is unlikely that it was caused by road debris. We do not remember any incidents that would have caused a puncture of the skin. But, if you look closely at the pictures in the original post, there are scratch marks that go across the problem area so it is possible that we tangled with a tree branch and did not realize it.

Given the apparent uniqueness of the problem, it looks like contacting FWC is the next best step.

Thanks again,

steelhead

steelhead said:
Thanks again for the replies.

Wallowa - the materiel behind the skin appears to be wood. I was able to scrape away a little bit of it which appeared to be affected by water. It was solid just a little way inside the hole. The problem area is near the bottom the section that goes over the truck's cab to make the sleeping area.

David - the problem area is on the drivers side of the camper, just behind the door so it is unlikely that it was caused by road debris. We do not remember any incidents that would have caused a puncture of the skin. But, if you look closely at the pictures in the original post, there are scratch marks that go across the problem area so it is possible that we tangled with a tree branch and did not realize it.

Given the apparent uniqueness of the problem, it looks like contacting FWC is the next best step.

Thanks again,

steelhead

Wow...crazy looking wood..when did FWC go to aluminum frames? Could be a laminate sheet of wood product under the bed area...

Temp fix is the 200mph tape until you figure out the best way to permanently repair it..please keep posting what you find out and what FWC says..

Good luck with it..Phil

Back
Top Bottom