Fleet on a tundra

SailorRocco

Advanced Member
Has anyone tried putting a fleet on a newer model tundra? I just purchased a used 2011 fwc fleet and i am looking to upgrade my truck to a 2012 tundra. Has anyone put a fleet on a platform in a newer tundra? i Know a tacoma would be ideal but i have found a good deal on a tundra and want to know if i can make it work. Thanks

I think that all that is needed is to lift the camper a couple inches,as the bed is deeper than 1st gen Tundra's.
Measure the depth of the bed and the distance from the overhang to bottom of camper.
The Bobcat is about 17",newer truck beds are deeper than that.
Others have made a platform to set the camper on and raise it the needed height.
Frank

Thanks for the reply Casa. I know I would have to build a platform and extend the camper jack but I just want to know if anyone has done it and how it looks.

SailorRocco said:
Thanks for the reply Casa. I know I would have to build a platform and extend the camper jack but I just want to know if anyone has done it and how it looks.
The Fleet is a bit wider than my Bobcat so I don't know if you need to extent the jack brackets.
I don't have jacks on my camper but it looks like they may not be needed,although a tight fit.
Just read the search you did and looked at the pictures.
The Bobcat on that Tundra seems to be about even with the truck bed and extensions would be needed.
Just checked my camper/truck. With the wheel well flares I would need extensions.
Frank

Thanks for the help Frank. I'm picking up my "new to me" truck this week and setting it up with my fleet. I will post pictures once I have it installed

I have a Kestrel which is pretty much the same as a hawk but was made with longer sidewalls to accommodate the old style (1st Gen) Tundras. I've built a riser so that it will fit in my 2016 tundra. Works great. If you build it right you can have some extra storage under there. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have an older Hawk (1999?) on a 2012 Tundra, works well with a platform underneath that's made of 2x4's laid flat and 2 layers of 3/4" plywood over top.

If you need any measurements off the truck bed let me know and I'll get them for you.

Here is mine, 2007 Tundra Crewmax with 2015 Fleet. Platform is 5 inches tall and has cross members that are same location as cross members on bottom side of Fleet. The front is hinged and I used it for storage. I really like the set up, especially with the airbags I just put on

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_115318723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160422_115318723_HDR.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_20160424_094725199.jpg
    IMG_20160424_094725199.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 2,703
Why won't Toyota just offer the crew max with the 6.5' bed??

I have a 2012 DC and just got a two year old Hawk. Would've loved the extra interior space of a crew max if they'd offer it with an 6.5' bed. I almost considered dropping ten grand and sending it out to Utah to the folks who do the bed conversions!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I know Toyota will never make a 2500 or 3500 because way too small of a market, but holding hope for a 1500hd someday. No need for more towing capacity, but a "from the factory" increased payload would be nice to include heavy duty springs, hd brakes, etc.

Brentc
My rig is a 2006 Kestral/Hawk on an 2008 Tundra EC. The "shim" is 5" to rise the camper from 18.5" to 22.2" Tundra cap rails. Kinda worried that 5" elevation will create excessive play on the turnbuckles from potential hobby horsing off road. What's your take on this?
Singlefin

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

I upgraded to torklift turnbuckles with front having integrated spring. They have not budged after about 1k miles and 250 off-road. I can get you exact part number later today when I get home. With these buckles no worries at all

Sent from my XT1254 using Wander The West mobile app

These are the external turnbuckles that bolt to the frame not the FWC internal fit to the elevator or eye bolts to the truck bed?

These replace the fwc turnbuckles. They attach to truck bed hooks and eye bolt on camper. The front have internal springs that give a little on bad bounce as not to pull hook out of truck bed or break. I looked for receipt with part number but can't find. I think it is anchorguard from torklift. I had to cut the threaded bolt down to fit but other then that works great. About 4x as strong as stock turnbuckles and a little pricey but worth piece of mind

Thanks, bty I already have installed the standard Torklift turnbuckles but without the cannister springs. Assume the cannister springs are
the key? Also, assume your 5" wood platform build design incorporated the lower shelf. Possible you could share the dimensions of your 5" platform including shelf specs. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Singlefin

I did not make notes on dimensions but I made it exact same as floor of camper. I took 2x4 and put on end. Attached 2x4 laid down on that to come up with 5inches. I put the cross members exactly where camper cross members where. My thought on this is rain can drain to truck bed. Put a 2x4 in middle for support. Then put piece of cedar on hinges for storage cover. I will try to snap a couple close ups and post

Thanks a bunch for the spec outline on your camper bed. A few pics would be great. How many cross members did you put in and what grade lumber did you use?

Here are some close up pics. Camper on truck so can't get some of the cross members but remember matching them up to cross members on bottom of camper

Attachments

• 1466376973139.jpg
    1466376973139.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 1466376983370.jpg
    1466376983370.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 1466376993531.jpg
    1466376993531.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 371

Back