Flexible Solar- Still going vs Dead

Ether,
I just re-read your reply. After the battery dropped to 73% full it did not return to more than 91% full after charging for over 60 hours.
Disconnecting from charger dropped it back to 82% within 12 hours.. Conclusion = time to replace.

Installed 2 x 100W flexible monocrystalline panels on our 05 Hawk.

1 - Completely dead after 6 months.
1- Reduced efficiency...maybe 50-75%

Mounted on roof using 3M VHB tape and 3M 4000 adhesive.
MC4 / SAE Adaptor

Refunded under warranty at Renogy facility in Ontario CA. Purchased 2 x 100 rigid panels as replacements. They processed the refund without needing to turn in the old panels since they are glued down. We had a technician check the panels and then break off the junction boxes. This was a really helpful option for us.

Now we have the two new panels sitting in the truck and two old ones seriously "stuck" to the roof. Getting the dead panels off or possibly mounting the new ones over top should be fun while living on the road. More roof weight means adding gas struts too : ) Gotta get that fridge cold before heading into Baja!

I finally get my camper back from Fwc the week of thanksgiving. I need to test my panels and see how they're doing (assuming we see the sun). Last time I was out I don't recall ever seeing more than 10 amps on the solar controller, where I use to see 14-15. Suspect that one panel may be dead, we'll see.

I have updated the list to this point. The new data brings us to 45 total panels purchased by members on this forum and 14 that have failed.

New failure rate:31.1%

Well both my 100 watt regular Renolgy solar panels have been working okay for the last year now--- of course it took some time and field help from a fellow WTWer to get the batteries, a new compression frig and the two panels(one new-one old) to work together on that first trip. Just more of that WTW learning experience, I guess!

Smoke

I purchased my flexible panel almost exactly a year ago (Thanksgiving 2014). It has the longer leads. It's not permanently attached and I use it as a portable panel. I've only used it a handfull of times this past year (I travel between spots frequently and my truck batteries/isolator charge up the system between spots). As far as I can tell it still functions (Trimetric indicates 5-6 amps in full sun) normally. Will definitely let you know if this changes.

Thanks for all the tracking of this.

jp

Ethergore - you can add my panel to the dead list.....It died in September 2015

Like everyone I tested, changed and re-did the connections (because it was going and returning), changed out the controller.

No change to the results. Panel continued to produce 16.5 - 18 volts at the controller and ZERO amps.

Finally called Renogy again. This time they upleveled me to "Ashby". He said panel is dead.

How to tell panel is dead. Voltage yes - Amps None, or NO volts or amps.

Even though I got 12 months use before it failed. They are not pro-rating the warranty. Renogy is returning full purchase price plus paid tax, plus sending a carton and return label.

I will replace it with a 150 watt rigid probably from Renogy - 3 M taped to the roof - using 6 "Z" brackets like "photoHC" did.

So I replaced my dead flexible panels with the traditional type, a 50 watt Renogy that I plan to use as a portable using the back plug and a 160 watt Infinium Solar Panel that I mounted to the roof between the vents. I used some small aluminum channels and angles that I picked up from a boating supply house for less than $20. (photos attached) IMG_0710.jpgIMG_0708.jpg

I was able to span 5 of the support ribs that are under the aluminum roof so I used 10 brackets. I epoxied the 4 corners and used silicone caulk as an adhesive for the 6 inside brackets. I did use a small piece of double face 3m tape in the center of each bracket to hold them in place until the silicone and epoxy set up.

Rusty,

Nice work. Hope that gives you years of good power!
Looks like you did a quality job - and at 160 watts it should give you plenty of power.

Feb 3rd replaced flexible with 150 watt Renogy Rigid.
Pics and text on my build-out Post page 12. Click on link under my signature.

Back
Top Bottom