Flush and over hang models

breeves2245

When researching different campers, I notice some mfg like FWC and ATC do not have an overhang on their models but some popups like the North Star 850SC do. What are the pro/cons? More storage and longer floor? Harder to tow a boat or other trailer without some type of trailer adapter?

I really like the cleaner look of the flush models, but maybe I shouldn't get so hung up on that.

Center of gravity. Also, the Northstar's are way heavier than the fwc/atc's. You also mentioned towing etc. I looked at the NS since it was way cheaper than the FWC's. After carefully looking the NS over, not only were they very heavy but also cheaply made. When you're talking about pop up truck campers, an extra foot isn't that much. I ended up with the Raven since I have a shortbed and am so glad I did. And it's a short walk from the bed to the portapotty:>)No overhang and easy to drive my 1/2 ton Ram.

As with everything, it's all about trade offs. You're not going to have much fun getting off-pavement with a 2-3000lb camper on back. A priority for me is still being able to pull my various (not light) trailers. If I never planned to leave pavement or tow anything more than a 12' skiff than the extra amenities like an indoor shower are nice and probably appreciated by the spouse. At that point though I prob just get a RV.

Back
Top Bottom