flush mount two burner stove?

BBZ

Hey All
I am a happy to be a proud owner of a 2013 Grandby Shell..

Its pretty much set up to how I like it, has a furnace, benches already set up, solar. I would like to add an indoor cooktop.

What are thoughts on the flush mount ones FWC is using? Any idea how easy or hard to install?

Thx in advance..

Hello BBZ

I have a flush Mount installed. Hindsight one that can easily be plugged into the camper propane. Plus removed place it outside, again using the camper propane for those days you want to cook outside.

That’s just something that sounds good to me.

Our flush mount stove woks well, I think it’s a Suburban two burner.

Russ

I have a 2019 Hawk with factory flush mount. Do most cooking outside on a coleman grill/burner combo. I really like the flush mount because I still have a large flat surface to use, since I don't cook inside much. Most inside cooking is nothing more than boiling water for coffee on cold mornings or simple meals in really bad weather.

larryqp said:
I have a 2019 Hawk with factory flush mount. Do most cooking outside on a coleman grill/burner combo. I really like the flush mount because I still have a large flat surface to use, since I don't cook inside much. Most inside cooking is nothing more than boiling water for coffee on cold mornings or simple meals in really bad weather.
Exactly why we want one inside.. sometimes its nice to have an extra burner as well.. we cook outside most of the time.. I wonder about a single burner...

I did this one in my ATC Panther...

i-8dt3n9n-L.jpg

i-VMWt2sc-L.jpg

I think a single burner would be fine, I really don't think I've used both burners at the same time. The factory option was either a two burner flush mount or two burner that wasn't flush mounted.

I just got back yesterday from a quick overnight trip and was really glad I had the indoor stove. I chose a high desert bluff to camp on, 360 degree view, totally exposed, just beautiful until around 4pm the wind began to howl, cooking outside would have been a real hassle, even cooking on the lee side of the truck. In the morning the wind was still howling, it blew all night and rocked the truck, plus it was damn cold outside. I fired up the furnace and made coffee and oatmeal on the indoor stove. Really glad I had the indoor stove.

jimjxsn's stove sink combo looks awesome, I think that's the way to go if you building out yourself., nice job jimjxsn

larryqp said:
I think a single burner would be fine, I really don't think I've used both burners at the same time. The factory option was either a two burner flush mount or two burner that wasn't flush mounted.
I agree here, I very muck like having a stove but I don't think even cooking meals I have ever needed or used two at a time.
Meals are kept quite simple which ends up being better for all sorts of reasone.

We have the Suburban 2-burner flush mount stove. We actually use both burners fairly frequently - to boil water for pasta on one and heat the sauce on the other, for example. The BTU output of those burners is relatively low ‐ 5800 btu each. However, as others have stated, it is really nice to be able to prepare meals inside when necessary. If I was designing something from scratch, I would probably get a nice, two-burner stove like a Partner 18 or 22", and then design your counter so that it could be mounted and secured for inside cooking and traveling, but be removed easily for outside cooking. That would be the best of both worlds.

heinphoto said:
We have the Suburban 2-burner flush mount stove. We actually use both burners fairly frequently - to boil water for pasta on one and heat the sauce on the other, for example. The BTU output of those burners is relatively low ‐ 5800 btu each. However, as others have stated, it is really nice to be able to prepare meals inside when necessary. If I was designing something from scratch, I would probably get a nice, two-burner stove like a Partner 18 or 22", and then design your counter so that it could be mounted and secured for inside cooking and traveling, but be removed easily for outside cooking. That would be the best of both worlds.
i want to pull out and replace the suburban with something that can go inside or outside. in winter we like the inside and weather permitng outside is great. hoop

We have a Camp Chef Everest that we can use both inside and out. One of the only stoves out there with 20K BTU for each burner. Now we are using our induction cooktop more often though. Same idea, inside or out.

heinphoto said:
I also like being able to boil water for pasta and such or make Coffee inside on my flat mount in my Hawk. That said I am very spoiled by the BTU of my Partner Steel stove I use outside. The BTU of my Suburban is really low. Does anyone know if that is norm or can it be increased by any means besides replacement?

XJINTX said:
I also like being able to boil water for pasta and such or make Coffee inside on my flat mount in my Hawk. That said I am very spoiled by the BTU of my Partner Steel stove I use outside. The BTU of my Suburban is really low. Does anyone know if that is norm or can it be increased by any means besides replacement?
I ended up putting this one in and I am pleased with the output, many more BTUs than the one I had in the old camper..
https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-drop-in-cooktop-117966.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SOxa2n01tnhhMTXumTMJJmMQlI8fIwLSECKPpAQCfNbh104Qbrs5fMBoCaxsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

XJINTX said:
Is this the same size and a direct replacement? I love the idea of more BTU!
That I do not know, my current camper had no stove at all and I cut the new hole..

ramblinChet said:
Hello Vic - I have a Camp Chef Everest also that I use in my Jeep but have been considering an induction cooktop for installation in my Grandby. I would be interested in hearing some of your personal experience regarding the induction cooktop you selected along with the solar and battery system you have to support it.

Currently I am planning around 600 watts up top and 200 Ah lithium down below. Your thoughts?
Hey, thanks for asking. 600W up top will be nice. I only have 330W. I also have 200AH of Battleborn LiFePo4 batteries. Each BB will only put out 100A, so I needed 2 in parallel to give me 200A.

I chose the cheapest/most highly rated single burner Induction cooktop out there at the time: Duxtop 1800W portable.

I installed a "power OUT" ac plug on the outside wall of the camper... and get funny looks at a campground when I haul out my extension cord and cooktop... their thinking, "Hey dude, there's no power here" and I plug into my camper and cook. :D

We are very careful with power, and it still takes a LOT of juice. Making coffee/porridge in the morning uses about 36AH. Dinner about 100AH. So we need to have good sun if we want to recharge very day, or go for a longish drive.

I'm sure you have done the calculations, and figured out that 600W will give you about 40A max (assuming 80% efficiency... and a solar controller than can provide that to your batteries). And at 40A you will need 5 hours of solid sunlight to recharge 200AH. We discovered last summer in early September that in north/central BC (Prince George area) the solar output is not great, and we had to revert to the Everest to cook with. Having 600W would have made it a bit easier, but I'd have been lucky to get 50% power output from my solar there.

Oh, you also need a good high power Pure Sine wave inverter. I am using a 3000W AIMS Power unit. Also not cheap. All in all, the choice to go Induction has been very expensive, but my wife loves it, so...

I hope that helps.

ramblinChet said:
Great info Vic and our calculations are nearly identical. Your "power OUT" story had me laughing since I am familiar with campgrounds.

I really do appreciate your first-hand data on power consumption and I guess my goal is to design a system that will support my needs the majority of the time. With that in mind I do not believe I will be cooking three meals per day but I can roughly estimate the following:
  • 90% - one hot meal
  • 50% - two hot meals
  • 10% - three hot meals
And I am only cooking for one so the portions will either be reduced or what I cook today may last for a few days.

For extreme conditions have you ever considered experimenting with tilting your panels?

Here are two videos I found that detail the amount of energy used with an induction cooktop:

Huh, that first video had good technique and I think his readings are trustworthy. Not that I would use that little power, as I like my bacon crispy! I also include boiling water for dishes in my calculations.

The 2nd video I call BS on. 80AH AGM? That battery will NOT last long. Just making dinner will use about 2/3 of his usable power, never mind heating water for dishes. AND, he was not calculating power used, as the batteries were charging the whole time during the test.

We often hike/canoe/bike until sunset, and make dinner afterwards. Dinner is for two, and includes hot water for dishes and a decaf coffee/tea as well. We are often down to 65-50% by the time we hit the sack, and down to 40% or so in after breakfast. That's less capacity than I would like, as I prefer to have 2 days of power plus some reserve, before I have to charge/drive.

Back
Top Bottom