Fold up bench?

Jzack605

Advanced Member
I have a never ending debate with what to do for seating in my hawk shell. Now I’m considering a bench that will fold in the front of the camper under the window. Anyone ever DIY one or is there a pre fab of this available?

It’s a good space for fly rods, walking sticks, etc.. lay it flat if you need bulky stuff there.
Yeah the biggest issue is fitting my dogs kennel, particularly early season grouse hunting when it’s wet and muddy. I was thinking more along the lines of a bench that will fold up flat against the wall.

I suppose I could mount the kennel on the bench when it’s flat. Then have storage below.

<Snip>
I suppose I could mount the kennel on the bench when it’s flat. Then have storage below.
That is a good idea, and shouldn’t be difficult hinges into the ledge that clears the wheel wells. You might consider figuring out a slanted back to make sitting more comfortable. Removable cushions.

Yeah the brackets I have, which I think are the same as the FWC stock ones, have slanted backs built in. I’d have to fill in the space when it’s folded forward but that shouldn’t be too bad to do.

IMG_3587.jpeg
IMG_3588.jpeg
IMG_3589.jpeg
Here’s the brackets I have. I’m thinking about mounting to the sides of the benches over the wheel wells as opposed to on top. I would have to remove the doors on the storage and replace with netting most likely. Do you all see an issue with mounting there? It’s the 3/4” panel and a 1”x1” strip that I could screw right into. It would be floating in between, not sure yet what size board to use. It would be seating and also on the occasion would have a dog kennel mounted to it.

I forgot that FWC fills in that notch, and now don’t have a “great idea”, but a strip at the same level as the cabinet bottom seems as good a place as any. I’d use good quality 3/4” ply for the seat bottom, maybe with strips screwed front and back for strength. Maybe make it quick to remove for extra floor space.

Here is the first rendition. I think I need to shorten the back and unfortunately the 3/4” base still bends too much even with a couple 3/4” strips for reinforcement. Will probably replace that with a more rigid board. It will be upholstered/cushioned.
IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg
IMG_3594.jpeg

Watching with great interest I am thinking of doing something similar. Hadn’t thought of mounting to the vertical walls instead of the top of the shelves.
Have a feel for comfort level of the slant on the back yet?
Thanks for posting and the pictures this is helpful and may just inspire me to get going on this.
Are those the rec-pro sliding mechanism?
RB

I pulled the plug on it. Didn’t like the mounting location and strength of those small strips of wood. Back to the drawing board. Top of the shelves would be better.

Happy to be the guinea pig.

Now I’m deciding between a shorter fold over couch or the og plan.

Back
Top Bottom