Ford F-150 Hawk or Grandby (non shell) owners

Flyfisher

Looking at updating my 2005 Tundra and attracted by the mileage ratings for the twin turbo engines. Is the 2.7 L twin turbo too small for the camper - are you constantly into the turbo? Is the 3.5L twin turbo enough engine without getting into the turbo too much?
What is the reliability of the Twin turbos?
Or am I just better off to stay with a standard gas V8?
Thanks for the feedback.
Gregg

A Hawk or Grandby with an interior and loaded for camping is going to push 2000 lbs. Aside from any engine power concerns, the payload rating of the 2.7 equipped 4WD models would be marginal or insufficient when you add two people. Make sure you understand the payload rating you are getting. The 3.5 Ecoboost can be bought with a heavy duty payload package that would be adequate, and it is plenty powerful. It might be the better choice.

Agree with Jon.

I have a 16 F150 supercab, 8 foot bed for our Grandby with heavy duty payload package (2611 lbs.)

I have the 5.0 V-8 motor. Personally, I love the motor (had it on another truck).. its got plenty of power and gets solid MPG. Twin turbo is 2 more things to go wrong, and they are more expensive.

I'm with BBZ. With the F150, I'd definitely go with the 5.0 L V8. I've had that engine in a '13 and '15 F150, and have had the payload and towing maxed out (and even over-laoded more than once), and it always had plenty of power, and I never had any mechanical problems with either one.

With those turbos, at some point when everything else is working fine on your drivetrain, one or both of the turbos will fail, and they're not cheap to replace.

One thing to consider- do you spend much time at high elevation?
The power loss with the Ecoboost is very little where the normally aspirated engine drops a good bit.

I have a 2017 F150 Supercab with an hawk. I noticed that on level ground I can go 61 or 62 mph without the turbo kicking in. On my last trip of about 3000 miles I averaged about 17 mpg.

SkyP said:
One thing to consider- do you spend much time at high elevation?
The power loss with the Ecoboost is very little where the normally aspirated engine drops a good bit.
hmmm.. I live at 5600 feet and most of my drives you have to go over 10000 feet to get anywhere cool, doesn't seem to be an issue with the 5.0 that I can tell..

Flyfisher said:
Frank - What engine do you have?
Sorry, I have the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission. 4WD. Over 91,000 miles on it with no problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom