Ford F250 DD Special Edition

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Inspired by members of the board, I present my first truck mods :)

Wheels & tires
picture.php

Transfer Flow 47 gallon replacement fuel tank
picture.php

No more getting outranged by the diesels :D

Nice rig...

So jealous. With thaat 47G tank what's your range at (850mi +/-)? Somebody's gunning for a bladder buster award..

Oh, F-Series w/ black wheels look sweet!

So jealous. With thaat 47G tank what's your range at (850mi +/-)? Somebody's gunning for a bladder buster award..

Oh, F-Series w/ black wheels look sweet!

Hardly my mpg is terrible which is why I got the tank. 47x12 unless I'm going 70+ on the freeway then its more like 47x10.

In any case 500-600 miles.

Looks great DD, black rims look good on your truck:thumb: but then whole truck looks good....its a FORD:D

Looks good. Planning on a skid plate to cover the tank or a lift? It's hard to tell how much clearance you have from the pics.

Looks good. Planning on a skid plate to cover the tank or a lift? It's hard to tell how much clearance you have from the pics.

Good question and I debated this when I was going to the bigger tank. Skid plate would have to be custom fabricated. The tank is actually steel and uses a thicker plate on the bottom so it should be pretty tough, but obviously this is not ideal. Ultimately though I weighed how often I would need more fuel vs how often I would be in a situation where I would be dragging the underside on rocks and more fuel was just far more important. Reality is I really don't want to be rock crawling my truck/camper combo much if at all.

Also of note though is that the tank doesn't ride quite as low as it looks in the photos.

Dang, my 460 w/ 4.10s gets 8-12mpg - I thought the newer trucks did a little better on gas... Apparently, I was wrong.

Nice, what'd the tank set you back?

About 1300 for the tank, freight up here, and the local shop to install it.

Dang, my 460 w/ 4.10s gets 8-12mpg - I thought the newer trucks did a little better on gas... Apparently, I was wrong.

Well the mpg I'm quoting is with the camper, two people, bikes, and enough gear for 2-3 weeks. Empty at normal highway speeds would rate better.

You can't believe how disappointed I was to find out transfer flow doesn't make a larger tank for my truck. Just have to limp around with the stock 35 gal tank.

I can't think of better mods.

The fuel tank is a very nice modification. Well done. Filling that tank from empty would cause my credit card company to send me an e-mail alert about how much was charged to my card!

How does the size of the new wheels and tires compare to your stock setup?

How does the size of the new wheels and tires compare to your stock setup?

Almost identical. American Racing wheels inspired by Big Times super-rad Toyota Taco.

For those of you that were with me when we were airing up after doing Lippincott pass and we were trying to figure out whether my stock wheels had a plastic veneer - it looks like maybe they are steel wheels with some kind of plastic molded right onto them. Kinda ghetto I would have rather just had plain steel wheels - which I would have had powder coated rather than getting new wheels.

i know that the transfer flow tank works out great, i have one too.
i get 600 miles range. with a few gallons left over for safety margin.

jerry cans...BAH!

way to get tanked

Looks great, Transfer Flow Tanks are a great add to any vehicle, very well built, now you can get the distance you were looking for. Now some new running boards !!

You can't believe how disappointed I was to find out transfer flow doesn't make a larger tank for my truck. Just have to limp around with the stock 35 gal tank.

You could always go with the Aerotank 60 gallon unit. 1100 mile range... I DARE you to hold it that long!:thumb:

Did you look into a secondary tank on the other side of the rig to balance weight at all rather than just replacing the primary. If so did it not make sense cost/logistic wise?

Back
Top Bottom