Forgot to latch

Not since my first trip! I almost went over Sonora Pass with the top half up after I stopped for a picnic break. Fortunately I have to go to the bathroom and pulled over after just a few miles and spotted it. I have a routine now and triple check everything.

I once asked Tom (former owner) what kind of sustained winds can the soft fabric sustain with the top up. Tom replied "70 MPH for at least 4 hours". Perplexed, I asked, unh? Tom had forgotten to lower the pop and drove from SOCAL back to the factory after a show. When he stopped for gas, he discover the top up. Upon arriving at the factory and inspecting the camper, no damage or issues were found with the camper.

Last spring, we spent the night north of Fields, OR at the hot springs...in a blizzard with sustained winds of 60mph and gusts to 80. We didn't get much sleep that night as we were afraid the top was going to blow off. I kept thinking what Tom told me. Helped a little, but, still didn't sleep that night.

So, I wouldn't worry too much.

Advmoto18 said:
I once asked Tom (former owner) what kind of sustained winds can the soft fabric sustain with the top up. Tom replied "70 MPH for at least 4 hours". Perplexed, I asked, unh? Tom had forgotten to lower the pop and drove from SOCAL back to the factory after a show. When he stopped for gas, he discover the top up. Upon arriving at the factory and inspecting the camper, no damage or issues were found with the camper.

Last spring, we spent the night north of Fields, OR at the hot springs...in a blizzard with sustained winds of 60mph and gusts to 80. We didn't get much sleep that night as we were afraid the top was going to blow off. I kept thinking what Tom told me. Helped a little, but, still didn't sleep that night.

So, I wouldn't worry too much.

More importantly did you get one of the great milkshakes at Fields? ;)

I put a "THINGS TO CHECK" list on the rear view mirror and then walk around my camper and truck a few times checking and rechecking stuff. I learned the hard way by ruining a couple of crank up antenna's on motorhomes I owned in the past.

Wallowa said:
More importantly did you get one of the great milkshakes at Fields? ;)
Milkshake, cheeseburger and diesel fuel before heading out onto the Playa for 4 days!
Screenshot_2018-04-16_08.46.43.png

Jesse Felker Media photo.

Yup, just last weekend in fact! Luckily caught it after only a few miles, no issues.

I am going to put a little sticky on my dash when camping, like a checklist, shut off propane, check latches, bla bla bla

rollinrollinrollin said:
I put a "THINGS TO CHECK" list on the rear view mirror and then walk around my camper and truck a few times checking and rechecking stuff. I learned the hard way by ruining a couple of crank up antenna's on motorhomes I owned in the past.
I picked up several blank white plastic door hangers, like the Do Not Disturb hanger for a hotel room door, and hang it from my visor. I make an appropriate checklist for whatever I have on the truck, camper, boat, etc.. I make sure checklist is complete before driving off.

Not much different than a checklist we had for the Boeing 777. We had a checklist for everything on that and every airplane I flew. Checklists have been a part of my life for over 40 years so easy to use and part of my habit pattern.

We had the same trucker honk and point before we pulled over. No damage. I hope the camper can take 50+ mph winds directly into it while we're camping. I suppose it can take some hwy wind. Does anybody know what the 4wc wind rating is? Has it ever been tested? Probably varies from side to front.

Back
Top Bottom