FOUND A HAWK!

SloanKeterine

Advanced Member
I was fortunate enough to find an older FWC. I’ve been reading on the forum from a distinace for awhile. The old camper has had a long hard life. My hopes are to squeeze a lil more life out of it with out a full overhaul. Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated . Thanks WTW

IMG_1099.jpgHere she is

Nice find!

Have you measured to make sure it will fit? Most of the olds campers were too wide for the newer 1999 or newer SuperDutys.

You are correct , the camper is about 3” to wide to fit . My plans are to finish the camper ( or at least get it liveable), and flatbed the ford ,with tool boxes on the side . My hopes are to gain some storage, carry more recovery gear, and carry some tool.

SloanKeterine said:
You are correct , the camper is about 3” to wide to fit . My plans are to finish the camper ( or at least get it liveable), and flatbed the ford ,with tool boxes on the side . My hopes are to gain some storage, carry more recovery gear, and carry some tool.
I like this plan. I'm looking forward to following your build.

First thing first, had to fix the plywood near the door frame. The weld let loose and every time it rained . The water would go down the door , hit the door frame and then pool near the rear of the base of the floor pack. I didn’t want to replace the whole thing due to no way to lift it . I repaired the damaged area , then I doubled up the floor with another piece of plywood to strengthen this cross cut in the floor. I cut the new piece of plywood to sit flush with the 90Degree drip edge the FWC attached to the front and rear of the camper .the floor and material was painted with porch paint sourced from the local homedepot.

Damaged Floor, work in progress....

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 111
Does anyone have any idea what brand of heater is in the early FWC? Went test run the heater with no success . Thanks everyone! More pictures coming

photo of repaired floor, and a couple layers of porch paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 87
Last night pulled out the multi meter and noticed I wasn’t getting power to the thermo coupler. A few minutes cleaning the wire connection with Emory cloth and she came back to life . Shut the unit down cleaned all wire posts/ terminals to get a good connection and it works great. These campers never stop amazeing me. I love the simplicity and straightforward approach that was taken building them. This little heater will turn the camper into a oven . HA!

Can someone tell me how a flatbed four wheel camper gets fastened ? Do they use elevator bolts? If you own one do they move a bunch ?trying to figure out the headache rack on the flatbed . Thanks in advance

Latest updates

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 93

Back