Four wheel camper in bear country

rltports

Advanced Member
What do other members recommend about food storage in the refrigerator and in cabinets of the camper when in bear country. Has anyone experienced a bear trying to access the camper? I plan to do some hiking trips and leave my camper(in down position) while I'm hiking for a few days and wonder if I can leave food in the refrigerator. Then there is also the question of food in in the camper when I am sleeping in it when I return. Also, I am guessing that everyone would warn against cooking in the camper when camping where bears might be present. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Never had a problem with food in the camper or fridge. I've not heard of anyone having issues. We keep our dogs food in a 2 gallon bucket, with top, under the dog platform and keep our cooler covered in the truck. If there are bear boxes, the grill goes in the bear box when not in use or if not in the truck cab. There is one National Park, Yellowstone where one of their campgrounds on Yellowstone Lake doesn't allow any softsides. Cooking in the camper shouldn't be an issue either
If you are going to bear country take bear spray. jd

I had paw prints on the side of my truck when I camped at Lake Sabrina. That was eye opening. They must have smelled food in the fridge in the cab. Terrorist bears.

Just had my canvas replaced from Grizzly that got curious one night. Worst part was all the bugs that got in through the torn opening. :p Ron Just kidding!

While I think you'd be fine closed up with things in the fridge and sealed/canned goods elsewhere, I' probably avoid leaving pungent things out in the cab or the camper. Around Tahoe/ Yosemite area you hear stories all the time about bears getting into vehicles for a piece of chewing gum or chapstick, so there are no guarantees.

Oh yeah - have full coverage, a low deductible, and don't worry!

I've found tickling their tummies works best. [emoji6]

I've camped a lot in bear country (black and grizzly) in both a tent and a FWC. Keeping a clean camp is essential and it's also good to cook away from where you sleep.

longhorn1 said:
Never had a problem with food in the camper or fridge. I've not heard of anyone having issues. We keep our dogs food in a 2 gallon bucket, with top, under the dog platform and keep our cooler covered in the truck. If there are bear boxes, the grill goes in the bear box when not in use or if not in the truck cab. There is one National Park, Yellowstone where one of their campgrounds on Yellowstone Lake doesn't allow any softsides. Cooking in the camper shouldn't be an issue either
If you are going to bear country take bear spray. jd

Interesting about Yellowstone. We were there last fall at a couple of sites and never had anyone question us. Good to know that some the campgrounds are more strict than others.

nikonron said:
Just had my canvas replaced from Grizzly that got curious one night. Worst part was all the bugs that got in through the torn opening. :p Ron Just kidding!

Vic said:
While I think you'd be fine closed up with things in the fridge and sealed/canned goods elsewhere, I' probably avoid leaving pungent things out in the cab or the camper. Around Tahoe/ Yosemite area you hear stories all the time about bears getting into vehicles for a piece of chewing gum or chapstick, so there are no guarantees.

Oh yeah - have full coverage, a low deductible, and don't worry!

Good advice. I was considering that option and you just convinced me.

Stalking Light said:
I've found tickling their tummies works best. [emoji6]

I've camped a lot in bear country (black and grizzly) in both a tent and a FWC. Keeping a clean camp is essential and it's also good to cook away from where you sleep.

That was my thought. In Jan we were camping in our FWC and my wife fried some bacon. We weren't in bear country but the smell lingered for at least a day. I realized at that moment that we would cook outside the camper if we were in bear country and cooked anything that smelled that good.

When we're were deciding on what type of rig to get for our upcoming adventures being bear resilient was one of the two top items.
In our research we felt that pop up campers were as resilient as any other type of camper.
As far as we know they are allowed in every campground in Yellowstone and Glacier NP's. If I remember correctly campers had to be hard sided up to either 4 or 6 feet off the ground and ours is above both.

I was in Norris CG a few years ago when a sub-adult male grizzly was coming into the CG and knocking down tents. He never got a food reward (walked right by a couple cooking bacon once and they never noticed him) and never hurt anyone, just liked to knock tents over. The rangers made everyone in a tent or soft side camper sleep in their vehicles until they trapped him.

Bears are unpredictable and curious, so about all you can do is not attract their attention.

Back
Top Bottom