Fridge Vent Install

TemeculaTim

Advanced Member
I just bought a 60 quart Engel 12 volt fridge for my 2000 Hawk and need to add vents to the exterior. I bought a fixed louver vent for the top and a hinged Dometic vent for the bottom. Looking at an exposed frame picture on FWC website - it looks like there are openings in the frame behind the existing ice box to add a top and bottom vent. I also can feel these openings and before I cut into it thought I would reach out for some advice.

Any one have the frame opening dimensions? The bottom hinged vent is about 9X18. I also want to add fixed lift jacks in the future and would need to make sure I leave enough room along the side to mount the brackets for these as well.

Thanks

The easiest & safest way would be to remove the ice box.

Then gently cut out or remove the 1/8" interior wall panneling in the back of the ice box cabinet.

Then you will know exactly what the framing dimentions are.

Later, when installing the jack brackets, I believe the refrigerator vent will slightly over lap the jack bracket when installed.

(see pictures attached)

It fits, but it is snug.

When buying the "jack brackets" make sure to get the smaller (narrower) ones.

FWC jack brackets are not as wide as most brackets available on the market. Most other camper manufacturers use wider jack brackets.

Hope this helps a little with your project.

:)

Attachments

• Hawk Frame Picture.jpg
    Hawk Frame Picture.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 358
  • jack bracket 1.JPG
    jack bracket 1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 769
  • Jack Bracket 2.JPG
    Jack Bracket 2.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 357
ON SECOND THOUGHT . . .

You bought a "2-way" 12 volt refrigerator, but you are adding the vents ???

If you install these vents on the outside of the camper, the camper will NOT be water tight. It might get VERY drafty too with all of the air from outside of the camper coming inside ?

Are you sure you need to install those vents ?

Does this Refer / Cooler you bought run off of propane as well ??

Or just a small 2-way with the compressor ?

When we install the 2-way Engel, we don't install the refer vents.

Just thinking out loud here . . .

x2 on what Stan said. If this is a true 12v fridge, you will need to follow the recommendations for clearance around the sides and back, but it will probably vent to the interior. If it's one of those Engel chest fridges, then you just need to clearance the exhaust on the side for the cooling fan.

OTOH, you do need to make sure you have sufficient clearances; otherwise the compressor will cycle excessively and not cool.

ON SECOND THOUGHT . . .

If you install these vents on the outside of the camper, the camper will NOT be water tight. It might get VERY drafty too with all of the air from outside of the camper coming inside ?

I just finished up the install of an Engle front load fridge in the Granby. I ran it for two days straight with no outside ventilation, only the top and bottom vent the Engle is designed with. With the dial set on 3 the fridge would cool down to about 36 degrees and hold it. I could feel warm air at the top of the vent, but never heard the Engle fan kick on. It's supposed to come on at 95 degrees, the air at the vent felt at least that warm. Then I cut a vent to the outside and installed a separate fan with a manual switch. With the vent open and the fan running I can hold the same temp as before at a dial setting of 2 1/4 instead of 3. The compressor cycles less often as well.
What I did is overkill for most of the year, but summer in Vegas means a couple months of temps well over 100 degrees. Life is too short to drink warm beer! The vent is water tight when closed, and I can cut a couple circles of Reflectix to restore insulation for winter time.
John

Attachments

• P1020292 (Medium).JPG
    P1020292 (Medium).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 281
  • P1020293 (Medium).JPG
    P1020293 (Medium).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 288
  • P1020295 (Medium).JPG
    P1020295 (Medium).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 296
  • P1020294 (Medium).JPG
    P1020294 (Medium).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 294
ON SECOND THOUGHT . . .

x2 on what Stan said. If this is a true 12v fridge, you will need to follow the recommendations for clearance around the sides and back, but it will probably vent to the interior. If it's one of those Engel chest fridges, then you just need to clearance the exhaust on the side for the cooling fan.

OTOH, you do need to make sure you have sufficient clearances; otherwise the compressor will cycle excessively and not cool.

You both were right. The fridge showed up this afternoon and the installation manual shows this unit drawing air in from the bottom up the back and out across the top. Appreciate all the responses -I now have a couple of vents I no longer need if anyone is interested

TemeculaTim said:
You both were right. The fridge showed up this afternoon and the installation manual shows this unit drawing air in from the bottom up the back and out across the top. Appreciate all the responses -I now have a couple of vents I no longer need if anyone is interested
I need vents. Yes, I know this topic is very old, but that doesn't change the facts! Do you still have them?

FWC has changed their opinion on whether vents are needed with a compressor refrig. When I spoke with them a year ago they said they had tried to go the no-vent route, but it wasn't working too well and went to adding one vent. When I put in my Isotherm compressor refrig I had FWC cut in the vent and I did the refrig install. Glad I did too because since my camper was ordered with an icebox, the upper vent location had a vertical bar running through it and they had to cut it out. I was too nervous to do any of it and it was worth the $$$ for them to do the cutting!!

OK, so this topic is pertinent to me too. I've got an'06 Hawk w/ icebox and I've been looking at the Isotherm 65 since the dimensions look like a drop in. Sounds like the current thinking is that at least a single vent is necessary. I'm not near an FWC dealer and am also pretty handy with power tools and wrenches. I feel like I could cut in my own vent by removing the inside paneling per one of the above suggestions to avoid any framing. What is the minimum size of vent necessary and does it need both an upper and lower in order to get the proper flow going?

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info and detailed photos there. I like the idea of adding extra insulation around the box. I'm also going to assume that there will be detailed info on venting requirements in the install manual that will come with the fridge. I'm still planning to cut my own vents in. I kinda like n0izh's fan with the small vent opening posted above but still wonder if it's of adequate size or not. I'll wait and see what the install manual says.

Bwht4x4 said:
FWC has changed their opinion on whether vents are needed with a compressor refrig. When I spoke with them a year ago they said they had tried to go the no-vent route, but it wasn't working too well and went to adding one vent. When I put in my Isotherm compressor refrig I had FWC cut in the vent and I did the refrig install. Glad I did too because since my camper was ordered with an icebox, the upper vent location had a vertical bar running through it and they had to cut it out. I was too nervous to do any of it and it was worth the $$$ for them to do the cutting!!
My 2014 Eagle has a compressor fridge and two vents from the factory.

Stalking Light said:
My 2014 Eagle has a compressor fridge and two vents from the factory.
Who knows what they are doing at any time. I do know that in early 2014 FWC told me they were going to one vent for the compressor refrig. In fact, I can vividly remember them saying that two vents for the compressor refrig was overkill. However Stalking Light with the two vents you should have no trouble venting out warm air.

underdog said:
Thanks for the link. Lots of good info and detailed photos there. I like the idea of adding extra insulation around the box. I'm also going to assume that there will be detailed info on venting requirements in the install manual that will come with the fridge. I'm still planning to cut my own vents in. I kinda like n0izh's fan with the small vent opening posted above but still wonder if it's of adequate size or not. I'll wait and see what the install manual says.
underdog,

The Engel refrig you bought I believe is made to vent internally by pulling air up from the bottom, around the back of the refrig and out the top. In cooler climates you could probably get by without any exterior venting, but it is really hot the additional vent on the exterior might be good.

Here are a couple misc posts.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7802

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7955-constant-running-2-way-dometic-80l-frig/page-2?hl=vents

underdog said:
Thanks for posting those links. They were very helpful.
Hey Underdog.. What did you end up doing? I am in the same exact position as you and look at the Isotherm 65..
Also not near any FWC dealers and not really thrilled with cutting in vents.. but seems it necessary? Any pics would help alot!

Back
Top Bottom