Furnace/range combo: Wallas 800

I Say The Most Important"get Out There & Enjoy!!!!

First sorry if this turn into a high-jack:(
Terri, looking at the member list that is now at 550, wow have we grown, there appear to be several female canidates (I grew up in Santa Cruz so I don't assume) but most new posters are pretty quite.

T-mar, if you don't currently have propane then I say use what ever the heck you want:thumb:
However there are many great propane accessories out there. The only time I don't like bulk propane is when weight is an issue but with a camper that isn't really the case. I put an extra outlet on my system for out side use of stoves and lights.
Puffins, your compassion is much appreciated, thank you. I agree , T-mar if you don't have propane, that's your special adventure, use what you have, but most importantly get out there!! I love these campers, I never take mine off the truck. I commute to Santa Barbara for clients several days a week and stop at Gaviota or another special spot, and pop up the top. I love my rig, the freedom that it gives to all of us is amazing and much appreciated. It really doesn't matter if we have propane or wood as long as we enjoy it, right!! Enjoy the journey...... Terri

Amish?

The only good reason for wanting a kerosene stove in a FWC is because the owner is Amish. They are not allowed to use propane for religious reasons.
John, as usual I'm confused. What owner is Amish? And why is propane not allowed for religious reasons? This is very interesting..... Please, fill me in..Terri

Having had Amish neighbors in Lancaster County, PA who used propane I can say with certainty that John D's comment was made in jest.

The reason propane is so dangerous on a boat is that propane is heavier than air and the boat is sealed. Leaked propane accumulates over time in a boat, but won't in a camper. Still, all combustibles everywhere must be treated carefully.

True Mark about propane. Dangerous stuff on a boat.

I've used Origo non pressure alcohol stoves on all my boats. These were all pleasure boats so they were not used with the frequency of TT of Salty's boats. Origo even makes an alcohol heater. I bought one on ebay for 20 bucks and used it in tents and shells with very good results. Its basically the same burner as their stobes but in a metal bucket type container.

Origo stuff is a bit pricey but they are all well made in Sweden I believe. Those folks do know cold.

The information that some Amish don’t use propane came from Wikipedia. I gather there are variations in Amish practices across the world. I admire the Amish people.

Kerosene is an interesting fuel for many reasons. Wikipedia says the price of kerosene is kept low in some third world countries through subsidies because governments want to encourage people to use kerosene for fuel rather than wood. Cutting wood for fuel can result in deforestation. Thus, there is a green component to the use of kerosene for cooking and heating. Green and kerosene almost rhyme, so it has gotta be good.

We have plenty of firewood in North America. I have a picture of a functional wood stove in a camper somewhere around here. Using wood for fuel in your camper is something to think about. I have a wood stove at home. It is keeping me warm and cozy as I write.

keep it simple!

It's a great idea to have a 3way fridge, my experience with the different units I'v had over the years has been sweet and sour. The amount of room the unit takes up is big compared to the amount of food or drink storage that you get in return. When in 12volt mode it can be a huge drain on the battery system, the propane works pretty good on level ground (I have always wondered how much propane the fridge used? Does anybody know? And for the electric plug in, well, I leave that idea behind when I leave for my trip, where ever I'm off to. The hot water is a great idea, I like the instant system that I got from Stan at FWC. It's great for bathing,ect. I got it in '05, I'm sure it's been upgraded by now to be even better. I have a question about the spot lights in the back of my camper, has anyone put a switch in the cab of the truck? When arriving late at night, and trying to navigate my way into the campsite, it would be great to not have to get out and have to turn them on from the camper, any ideas?

I connected the rear flood lights to the reverse lights from the truck. Now they light up on reverse automatically. Just don't forget to disconnect the wire when taking off the camper. The Wiring was actually prepared by ATC. Ben just prewired the light when they built my camper. It's pretty easy on a new camper I assume.

What is a question?

Is that really true, I'm the only female member, testosterone is a great thing, but this might be a little too much! Thanks for the information on KISS, this sister will try to keep it simple, and not drive all of you nuts with my questions. Thanks again for the info. Terri

I've learned a lot because of the questions asked here - many I may never have considered. Usually I learn from someone with a good answer, but sometimes I've been made to think (something a man shouldn't do too often). Do try to drive us nuts with questions - it helps all of us (well at least it helps me).

You are wonderfully kind, thank you for your appreciation! I love reading about all the stories and adventures all of you guys, including families and animals have had. I learn so much, and really enjoy this website. This is the first time I have ever done this sort of thing, chatting on line. A bit different for me but I'm getting use to it. Thanks again, Terri

Terri,
Did you happen to have a camper for sale on usedfourwheelcampers.com last summer? I seem to remember calling about one and talking to a woman, I think who lived in Lompoc. Could it be you? Welcome to the board.

Hijack (cont.)

Is that really true, I'm the only female member, testosterone is a great thing, but this might be a little too much! Thanks for the information on KISS, this sister will try to keep it simple, and not drive all of you nuts with my questions. Thanks again for the info. Terri
Terri,

It's funny, just the other day I was going to start a thread in the lounge on significant others' interest in the site. Like how many of our wives or gf's look at the posts made here. I guess it finally occured to me that there weren't any women posting..[/I]..I constantly call my wife to the screen.."come check out this rig!" or "look at this campsite".

Don't think twice about asking Q's here..I think you'll find it a very accepting group:)

TT

yes, that was me!

Terri,
Did you happen to have a camper for sale on usedfourwheelcampers.com last summer? I seem to remember calling about one and talking to a woman, I think who lived in Lompoc. Could it be you? Welcome to the board.

Yes! I decided to sell my hawk, a short time of insanity. Thank God, I came to my senses. I started listening to people telling me I was getting to old to be going off to where ever I was going off to. I realized I wouldn't be happier doing it any other way, no matter how old I am.. I don't remember talking with you, I thank you and everyone for not buying my camper...Terri

Thanks for the encouraging message. A few days ago I was feeling a bit out of place, maybe I was trying to get into a guys group? I almost called Stan in Sac. to ask him if it this was a men's group only! I think that was Sat. morning. Then, got a few nice messages from other members and that encouraged me to keep posting....Terri

Terri,

This is not an exclusive guy’s group. I did not think about you being female until you brought up the subject. Now that I know you are a woman, I will be interested in what you have to say from a different perspective. I know a few women who love camping but don’t engage in the sport either alone, or with other women. I wish they would and I wish more women would make posts on this web site so I could learn more about what motivates one to own a camper and use it.

Years ago, I bought a truck and camper from a gal in her 70s whose husband had passed away. She had bought a new truck and put a shell on it. She did not want the larger rig any more. She had a son in California and a daughter in Tennessee and drove to see them, always sleeping in the back of that truck under the shell. She lived just down the street and I made a point to stop by and see her occasionally. She told me she had a condo in Breckenridge and her husband had been a great surfer in his day on the west coast. She was a self proclaimed “parrot head”. Three or four years ago, she began to show signs of dementia. I saw her son from California fixing up her place and pretty soon it was sold. She was gone and I lost contact with her. It made me sad. She was one of the few women I knew who camped, and I am very glad to meet another.

John D

terri
This is certainly not exclusively a mens site, we welcome and appreciate all as you may have already seen. Welcome aboard and keep posting. By the way we haven't seen any pictures yet, remember pics are a requirement here. Enjoy.

John, That is a touching story! I hate it when life gives us special friends and we don't get to say goodbye. My motivation for a lightweight, flexable frame popup is I can leave it on my truck all the time. I love that choice of mobility. It seems, the older I get the more I appreciate the lifestyle. There is something about staying close to the edge inviting the challenges that the wilderness presents to us. Being without the comforts that waits for us back home, it keeps us alive and intouch with nature & thats a good thing! 10 years ago I bought a new truck and ordered a shell for it, thinking I would use it for camping. One trip out I understood why we have our campers. I froze in that shell, I drove up to Tahoe during a winter storm. It rain a good part of the trip up there and water got in through my tailgate of the truck, what a nightmare! I didn't realize it until I crawled into the back to sleep. It was very cold, acually freezing, which I was prepared for but I wasn't prepared for my sleeping gear to be soaken wet...I do enjoy winter trips when I can get out of the elements and get a good nights sleep. Winter is a good time to explore because it's not so crowded. After that trip to Tahoe I bought a great six-pac camper which was much warmer and accomodating than that shell. It was a pain taking it on and off the truck though, I like to keep the camper on all the time and the six-pac was too big. Also, it was getting beat up from the backcountry that I was driving through. So, that brings this volume to a close with the thought, yeh for the FWC!! Terri

Yes! I decided to sell my hawk, a short time of insanity. Thank God, I came to my senses. I started listening to people telling me I was getting to old to be going off to where ever I was going off to. I realized I wouldn't be happier doing it any other way, no matter how old I am.. I don't remember talking with you, I thank you and everyone for not buying my camper...Terri

Whew, that was close.

Ed, Yes too close. That was a crazy time for me. I had been caregiving my mother, she had just passed away and ..well need I say more. Grief is an amazing thing. Back then, I decided to go on a 2 day trip. I was at Redrock Cyn. it was quite cold, I was trying to pop the camper up with the door closed!! I hadn't any idea that the door had to be open, because when its closed somehow it creates a vacumn type effect. I couldn't get it up, I camped for 2 days like that. Stupid, anyway , along with that trip and a few other things that created a temporary state of insanity... Thank God thats behind me, and I still have my camper.... Terri

Back
Top Bottom