FWC Eagle Shell questions

busboy66

Contributors
Hello all. I need some sage advice from all you FWC owners/modders.

I'm in negotiations to purchase a 2006 Eagle Shell that comes with:
Hydraulic jacks
Folding couch
Side awning
Battery w/isolator
Arctic pak
2 lights in and 2 lights out
Extra window on drivers side
Approx. $4500 Canadian funds

There are a few minor problems:
Some mildew in top bunk area - I think from not removing cushions when collapsing roof (unit is in Pacific North West)
The mildew looks easily cleanable - just on bunk surface and front side of hinge between it and the canvas
Front hinge lift mechanism bent - looks like someone tried to lift the top with the clamps still on - not difficult to fix.
One of the wood strips on the ceiling is missing the finish (1 foot from front) - apparently a harsh cleaning product did this

The above is no big deal to fix. Basically the unit is in really good shape, just a bit dirty.
My main concern is modifying the camper in the future.
The full size window on the side where there is usually no window could be in the way if I want to add a fridge or propane.

Is it expensive to re-skin the left side of the camper if I remove the window?
Would I need to add a stud where the window was?
What do you think of the price?

Thanks,

Tom

Bent components worry me. Bending can occur is when the camper is jacked. If the forward folding panel is bent or warped, it suggests long term wetness. Why do you want to remove a window? The answer to that question would help people write better comments.

The mildew is almost certainly from a leak, moisture plus darkness. Raise the top and keep the camper in the sun for a while, or inside a dry building. Clean out the mildew with a Clorox solution. It might be necessary to wash the cushions which are left in place when to top is lowered. Sometimes they get wet while driving. That is not a big problem. The head liner may be permanently stained from the mildew.

Hey Tom,
Well I think it is a good deal if you never plan on reskining and welding in new supports. If you have the welding eqipment and know how, then I would suggest to go ahead. I would take a very careful look with a mirrior behind both lifts, make sure that they in good shape. I would ask for a lower price for any items that need repair. I would also carefully check the floorpack for any warping or water damage.

There are several options that you can use without building a permanent propane/fridge compartments. I turned my unit into a shell after a few trips, I like being able to customize each trip and only bring what I need. Do you have any pics? -Joel

Things you think are a "no big deal" may turn out to be more of a big deal than you think. You should ask the guys at FWC what they think? I don't seem to have good luck buying used stuff most of the time. If you get it at a super price, maybe? More like $2500.00 in my opinion. These campers are not supposed to mold no matter what the climate as I understand. Besides, do you really want to sleep in it when there was mold in it? An Eagle is a tight fit. I have heard mold is not good for you to breath, much less a small area where a high solution of bleach was used. Also, from my work experience I have learned that once mold shows up its very hard to get rid of. Bent lifters is no good either. The top may be bent and you do not see it. This could be causing the mold as the top will not seat properly. That over cleaning you are seeing may be the result of trying to get rid of the mold.

Good luck, And ask someone who knows. Maybe Stan will chime in.

My opinion, look for another camper. They are not that hard to find unless you can get it for a price that allows you to replace all problem parts completely.

Darryl

John D,

See attached photo regarding bent front lift.

All,

Thanks for your quick responses. All your advice is great. :D

I do believe the mildew is from closing the top too soon after use and not removing the cushions during storage. I looked at the seals, the headliner and the roof closely. There doesn't appear to be leaks, but you never know. It never ocurred to me that the roof could be bent. I'll have to ponder that.

Thanks again,

Tom

Bent components worry me. Bending can occur is when the camper is jacked. If the forward folding panel is bent or warped, it suggests long term wetness. Why do you want to remove a window? The answer to that question would help people write better comments.

The mildew is almost certainly from a leak, moisture plus darkness. Raise the top and keep the camper in the sun for a while, or inside a dry building. Clean out the mildew with a Clorox solution. It might be necessary to wash the cushions which are left in place when to top is lowered. Sometimes they get wet while driving. That is not a big problem. The head liner may be permanently stained from the mildew.

Attachments

• frontlift.jpg
    frontlift.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 220
That is not a bad price at all, if you look at the big picture.

As long as you are willing to do some work.

$ 4500 Canadian = $ 4200.00 US

New Eagle Shell $ 6495.00
Jacks - $ 595.00
Extra Window - $ 525.00
Arctic Pack - $ 475.00
Couch $ 475.00
Aux Battery system - $ 395.00
Awning $ 695.00
Delivery to Canada - $ 1000.00
Canada General sales Tax - 7.75% ($700.00)
Canada personal sales tax - 7.75% ($700.00)
------------------------------------------

New camper with same options = $ 12,000.00 US Dollars.

You will be hard pressed to find a used four wheel camper in Canada, even harder to find a used eagle in canada, and even harder to find a good price.

3 1/2 month back-order to get a new camper right now.

If you can get the camper for $ 2500.00, save the money, don't buy the camper, and spend the $ 2500 on lottery tickets, because you are have GREAT luck. You could be the next millionare on WTW.

LOL

:)

Is it a PITA to change the front folding lift panel out ?

YES (if you are not handy)

But, the WTW members have posted some good "how to's" on how to do it yourself.

The front replacement panel will run you $ 300.00 - $ 400.00 US $$.

Gary Morrissey (Our Vancouver Dealer) might be able to bring one up in a week or two, if you order it SOON.

He is coming down to get 4 new campers next week.

I highly doubt the roof is bent. You would be able to see that right away from the outside.

They probably put the camper down wet, the bed cushion was moist, and it has started to rot the front wooden folding panel.

Oh yes, these pop-up campers will mold if stored wet for too long.

Most of the mold can be removed, especially if you replace the front folding panel.

You might need to throw away the bed cushion too.

It is very hard to get the mold smell out of the foam & cushion covers.

I know everyone might not agree on this ... but I think most ALL of the lurkers (non-WTW members) that search this site and other daily, won't tell you it is easy to find a used four wheel camper.

DON'T over pay, im not suggesting that.

But look for a camper you want at a fair price, and grab it.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope you find something you like.

Happy Camping !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all. I need some sage advice from all you FWC owners/modders.

I'm in negotiations to purchase a 2006 Eagle Shell that comes with:
Hydraulic jacks
Folding couch
Side awning
Battery w/isolator
Arctic pak
2 lights in and 2 lights out
Extra window on drivers side
Approx. $4500 Canadian funds

There are a few minor problems:
Some mildew in top bunk area - I think from not removing cushions when collapsing roof (unit is in Pacific North West)
The mildew looks easily cleanable - just on bunk surface and front side of hinge between it and the canvas
Front hinge lift mechanism bent - looks like someone tried to lift the top with the clamps still on - not difficult to fix.
One of the wood strips on the ceiling is missing the finish (1 foot from front) - apparently a harsh cleaning product did this

The above is no big deal to fix. Basically the unit is in really good shape, just a bit dirty.
My main concern is modifying the camper in the future.
The full size window on the side where there is usually no window could be in the way if I want to add a fridge or propane.

Is it expensive to re-skin the left side of the camper if I remove the window?
Would I need to add a stud where the window was?
What do you think of the price?

Thanks,

Tom

Call up Marty or Jeff at All Terrain Camper in Sacramento. Tell them I told you to call them. They will tell you exactly what the right decision is. Something caused that panel to bend like that and that's no good. I would suggest calling Stan a FWC, but I do not know him really other than reading his good advise on this forum. But, he will give you good advise also.

Calling the manufacturers about these campers when buying used is ok. These guys will help you make the right decision. None of them will try to sell you anything. As far as I know, they just want everyone to be happy with the campers new or used. No one wants anyone to buy a bad deal.

Darryl

Darryl,

Thanks - Good advice.

Call up Marty or Jeff at All Terrain Camper in Sacramento. Tell them I told you to call them. They will tell you exactly what the right decision is. Something caused that panel to bend like that and that's no good. I would suggest calling Stan a FWC, but I do not know him really other than reading his good advise on this forum. But, he will give you good advise also.

Calling the manufacturers about these campers when buying used is ok. These guys will help you make the right decision. None of them will try to sell you anything. As far as I know, they just want everyone to be happy with the campers new or used. No one wants anyone to buy a bad deal.

Darryl

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your advice. Great customer service. I'm going to mull this over.
I will most likely make arrangements with Gary to view what he has in stock in Vancouver. I'm just a ferry ride away from there.

I just e-mailed Gary asking what models he is picking up next week. Hopefully they aren't all pre-sold ;)

Well, it is Canada Day here. A day off to celebrate.
Best wishes to you Stan and all the WTW members for the 4th of July!

Hi all.

We purchased the camper last night. Was able to get the price down significantly. It's at home now popped up. Needs a good wash in and out. Now looking for suspension upgrade - Timbren or spring upgrade? Was going to go air bags, but what I hear of leaks and frame twisting makes me wary. I want to set it and forget it.

Thanks to everyone again for the valuable advice. The WTW community is such a great resource.

Will post a pic soon.

Tom

Now looking for suspension upgrade - Timbren or spring upgrade? Was going to go air bags, but what I hear of leaks and frame twisting makes me wary. I want to set it and forget it.

What are you driving?

Thanks.

Mazda B4000 4x4 - just talked to my mechanic - he suggests air bags - swears by them in fact.
Was looking at Timbrens. Like them. Simple, no maintenance, but a lot of money for a hunk of rubber.
Super Spring or the like are also too much $$.
Air bags seem like a hassle, but lots of folks like them.
Hmmm. Not really bothered over this - I'm still on a camper high! Yay!

With air bags you can level the truck side to side. Useful while on the road, but possibly very handy for leveling the truck in camp.

That being said I am not planning on using air bags, I will be using my Old Man Emu-Dakar leaf springs.

Back
Top Bottom