FWC Floor -- OSB or Plywood?

BBZ

So.. my camper (old grandby) came with 3 layers of 3/4 osb.. I think someone added it to add height to it, but not really sure. Anyway, it add a lot of weight. I have decided I am going to remove it and add new floor.

Do you suggest OSB or Plywood?

The new FWC & ATC campers use plywood. My choice would be the same. I’d use a Marine grade, which I believe has no/fewer voids in the interior veneers.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The new FWC & ATC campers use plywood. My choice would be the same. I’d use a Marine grade, which I believe has no/fewer voids in the interior veneers.
ok.. thats what I was thinking as well... but trying to locate it currently, certainly not a home depot item

Hi BBZ

Don't even consider using OSB in the wet environment the floorpak will be.

Are you simply needing additional height stringers for your camper or are you replacing the floor itself ?

Sorry but I am not familiar with your project.

David Graves

Thanks David..

I am replacing the floor itself.. should have done it when I re-did the whole thing, but didn't really think to do it..

By removing the 3 layers and adding one back I will lose 1.5 inches, I will then add that to my platform and will gain a little bit of storage as well along with saving approximately 125+ lbs..

Any 5 ply A or B grade of plywood of 3/4 thickness would be fine...I would primed it and all the edges maybe once or twice and also get several coats of paint on it.

As Sage points out marine grade would also serve...marine means it is free of any voids within the ply ...it might have some of the plugs glued throughout the sheet where imperfections were removed.

HD certainly should have it.

Good luck with rebuilding another camper!

DavidGraves said:
Any 5 ply A or B grade of plywood would of 3/4 thickness would be fine...I would primed it and all the edges maybe once or twiced and also get several coast of paint on it.

As Sage points out marine grade would also serve...marine means it is free of any voids within the ply ...it might have some of the plugs glued throughout the sheet where imperfections were removed.

Good luck with rebuilding another camper!
Its the same camper... just didn't do the floor when I should have...

Thanks for the advise!

Agree OSB is very heavy. ACX ply in 3/4" or possibly 5/8" should work. I would consult with Stan at FWC. Preprime everything in oil base.

Lighthawk said:
Agree OSB is very heavy. ACX ply in 3/4" or possibly 5/8" should work. I would consult with Stan at FWC. Preprime everything in oil base.
Good advice you have received [my vote is for Marine Plywood mentioned; no plugs and top notch sheets]...do check with Stan...I believe our '16 Hawk has plywood coated with a sealant used on floating docks.

Supposed to be tough and long lasting.

DavidGraves said:
As well as having no voids in the inner plies. true marine plywood will have waterproof glue lines. It is much heavier though. HD will not have anything close.

BBZ said:
So.. my camper (old grandby) came with 3 layers of 3/4 osb.. I think someone added it to add height to it, but not really sure. Anyway, it add a lot of weight. I have decided I am going to remove it and add new floor.

Do you suggest OSB or Plywood?

Seeing as this is from 6 months ago, you've probably already replaced the floor by now. But for future reference for everyone else, Menards (mostly eastern US store, but there's one in Cheyenne WY where you bought your camper) is a really good place to go, good prices and a good selection of everything. They're more than just a Hardware / Lumber Store, they sell some food, appliances, camping / hunting gear, wood, interior decorations, lights, whatever. But they have a good Marine Grade Douglas Fir plywood, right now on sale, 3/4" 4x8 7 ply for $70. Normally $78. But that's probably what I would go with.

Now, if you want to go all out, and money isn't an issue (at least, not much of an issue) I would look up Coosa Board. Coosa board has been used for over a decade in the boating world making replacements for old plywood transom areas (That's where big heavy motors are mounted) and for the decks of boats, swim docks, whatever else. It's 30-40% lighter than plywood, has at most a 1% absorption of water (plywood is near 40-80% depending if it's sealed or not) and it's stronger than plywood. Now, the downside is it's hard to find it to buy it, mostly because it's a commercial grade product, and because it's for boats, so if you're not by an ocean or a very large boating area, it's not easy to find. And, for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" thickness, you're looking at $300-$400, a sheet. Like I said, this is only for people that don't care about money lol. But that being said, it's extremely light weight, extremely water proof, and very strong, if you combined it with the aluminum frame of FWCs, your camper will probably outlast you with good care. All you'd ever have to replace (possibly) is the canvas and the siding, or maybe the roof. But those are relatively easy to change out, without having to replace the entire interior of the camper.

And just a side note, I went to Montana Tech for Construction Technology (basically I learned how to be a carpenter and some of the sizes behind stuff) but our shop teacher always joked and said OSB stands for 'Oregon Sponge Board' lol, because it soaks up with so much water and turns all sponge and gross. If budget is an issue I'd literally buy anything other than OSB.

I’m a building contractor. We use “Structual” OSB for shear walls and the like. It’s very strong and is made with waterproof glues and resins. The Structual stuff is made for exterior applications. I would choose the lighter of the two.

Back
Top Bottom