FWC Floor rot

tnscoots

Advanced Member
DSC00004 (3) copy.jpgHi - Has anyone worked on the "floor pack" to replace rotten floor board? If so, I'd appreciate any info you could share. Due to soft spots in the floor and even the wood that sits over the truck bed rails, I wonder about rebuilding all the wooden structure under my '98 FWC Ranger Shell, or just patching and re-skinning the entire bottom with new plywood.
Thanks,
Tom

tnscoots@cox.net

13 years does not seem like a very long time for the plywood to rot .I have a 25 year old stick trailer and the floor plywood is as solid at day one.
Did you notice if your plywood was painted or wolmanized .

May be I will see about wolmanised plywood for my new build

tnscoots, I can't help right now but I'm about to tackle a similar problem. My plywood over the bed rails on the driver's side is rotting. This is due to the water tank filler up on that side of the camper. When full, water runs out the vent, down the side, and along the interface underneath between the aluminum cap and plywood edge. Either this was not well sealed or over time the seal failed. Water has soaked into the forward portion of the plywood and now big soft spots. I will be removing all of the interior on that side and then replacing plywood as needed. The guys at ATC will be helping so it will be sealed up and I won't have a repeat of this problem. Good luck!

tnscoots, I can't help right now but I'm about to tackle a similar problem. My plywood over the bed rails on the driver's side is rotting. This is due to the water tank filler up on that side of the camper. When full, water runs out the vent, down the side, and along the interface underneath between the aluminum cap and plywood edge. Either this was not well sealed or over time the seal failed. Water has soaked into the forward portion of the plywood and now big soft spots. I will be removing all of the interior on that side and then replacing plywood as needed. The guys at ATC will be helping so it will be sealed up and I won't have a repeat of this problem. Good luck!

Hi - Thanks for the reply, and although you can't offer suggestions now, I hope you will post your progress as I too have that problem; except mine is from rain water doing essentially the same thing. I too plan to strip the interior of my Ranger shell and get to those problems one by one. At the same time I'll replace the insulation and rewire the 12v system to include a few more devices. I'll also add a 110v exterior plug-in, and an interior receptacle. I have to wear a "snorkel" at night or my wife won't join me on excursions. Good luck with your repairs.
Tnscoots (Tom)

Back
Top Bottom