FWC Front Window

bnf3

I recently sold a 2001 Grandby which I had on a 2002 Tundra regular cab longbed (looking to sell). I liked it a lot but it was inconvenient going around to the back of the camper to get stuff. Also, sometimes I wanted to get into the truck from the camper without going around outside. That slider is pretty small. I ended up having the windows of the camper and truck taken out. The boot did not go around everything very well, so I cut that in half and filled in the center with inflated bicycle tubes. Not being very handy, I was pretty pleased with myself as it worked well. I have been reading about some of the elegant builds (great job Bill H), and think some WTW members may well be horrified. But, you have to work with what you got. Anyway, I am buying a new Hawk and wonder if any members have an interest in the camper and cab communicating, and if so, what solutions they have found.
Thanks

Besides the appearance of the boot you made it must have been pretty nice having it all open. Could you get into the cab from the camper? Did your Grandby have heat and if so could you get the camper warm with the big opening at the cab?

I really did like having it all open and I could go back and forth. They did fit fairly close together. If it was cold, the heater from the truck would blow back into the camper by the time I was in there to start the furnace.
I ordered the 2015 Hawk and will take a deep breath and probably order the new Tundra as well. The Limited version has a power vertical sliding window, so in effect the whole window can be open. Now I just have to figure out what to do with front window of Hawk. I have the old solution but I think I could probably do better. Do other members care about having it more open between cab and camper?

Years ago on the old Broncos, Blazers and Scouts you could get FWC,s with no front wall, the roof was removable on these vehicles and when the camper was installed it was like a miniature class c motorhome. To me this was the ultimate set up. The difference today is this type of vehicle does not exist and a pickup truck's cab and bed are two separate entities on the same frame so the camper construction requires a front wall. I think the next best thing is the modification that you
did to your old rig. Especially with a reg cab truck the access to the camper makes the lack of cab space tolerable.
Here are my thoughts on how to pull this off.
1) The slide down window (I didn't know it was avalable on the tundra) that I've seen on the Titan creates a substantial opening which is perfect for this set up.
2) My thoughts on the truck camper slider are to remove the factory slider and have a window made with a removable section in the middle thats equivalent to the width of the opening in the truck. The rest of the opening to the left and right of the removable glass will have small fixed sections of glass. A window like this can be made by HEHRINTL.com an RV window manf. for two or three hundred bucks.
3) A custom boot can be made by an upholsterer or a boat cushion fabricator (if you live near marinas).

And you'd be good to go.
I have a reg cab Chevy truck and I got an after market slider that has an opening of 16 1/2 inches square, the height is fine but I'd like the width of the opening to go from head rest to head rest, about three feet. If I decide to leave the camper on full time I just might have the side pieces made shorter and forget about closing the middle. I looked into having something retractable made custom and it seems like it would cost a fortune and I've yet to find a customizer that could pull it off. As far as the camper once I have the width of my cab window opening finished I will pursue #2 above.
I always thought this was a great mod to pursue and I've rarely seen posts on forums about it.
Good Luck

Dan - Thanks so much. I think you solved the problem. I did find that opening between cab and camper to be enormously useful. There was that feeling of space; while driving I could store things behind me that were still easily accessible, and while stopped I could shove a backpack or duffel into the cab to give me more room in the camper. When needed, with the top down, there was some privacy going in and out of camper and cab, which has come in handy. I'll get the measurements for the FWC front window, Tundra rear window, and contact the window fabricator. I'm still about 11 weeks out for FWC build to be complete.
For your truck, can't you do the same thing with cab window as camper? Have them make a something less than a three foot removable window and two small fixed sections? For what it's worth, I know I can plan to leave the camper on all the time and then something comes up where I need to take it off.
Barry

I was informed this past Monday that as of about two weeks ago, FWC stopped installing the front window which opens.
Fixed windows only now because ..... "the window manufacturer didn't want to do anything about them leaking".

Bomb,

And who was the source of this information? I hope you are wrong; my Hawk is installed in one week and I ordered and want the slider in the front window of the camper. I have an '05 Tundra AC with a rear sliding window.

Leaking? News to me.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Bomb,

And who was the source of this information? I hope you are wrong; my Hawk is installed in one week and I ordered and want the slider in the front window of the camper. I have an '05 Tundra AC with a rear sliding window.

Leaking? News to me.

Phil
Pm sent .... don't want to put them on the spot in case FWC's decision is reversed..

I have the slider window and really like it. Mine was built just this last fall.

I am sad to see that option go although I do hear a lot of complaining about it.

It is likely you could order a spare one or one from the manufacturer directly if you really wanted it.
They are not difficult to install.

DrJ,

Were the complaints about leaks? We ordered the "front opening window" @ $195 on our Hawk. Hope that it is installed when we take delivery 2/25.

This option is no longer on the FWC website. Sure wish FWC would be more forthcoming about running changes! Stan could easily post here and let us in on changes. My only complaint concerning FWC is the lack of specific data on components. I have zero idea of what products will be installed in our camper when delivered. Hopefully the current build is in line with the old video info on FWC website.

Oh well, it will be what it is. ;)

Phil

In January of 2015 there was a post on the leaking front window. Stan at FWC provided several posts on what FWC and the window manufacturer were doing to address the issue. See the attached:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9847-leaky-sliding-window/?hl=%2Bwindow+%2Bleaks#entry110623

Apparently while driving water was forced into the window weeps and leaked inside the camper. The manufacturer provided plugs. I have found FWC to be proactive about issues and to inform everyone on this post. Hopefully Stan can shed light on whether FWC will not be including the slide window in the future or whether they are looking for a different manufacturer and just don't want to continue to sell a problem child. jd

Back
Top Bottom