FWC Hawk Sink Drain Corrosion

Bill D - Of course I wouldn't put the same cheap part back in if I replaced it. I would only put in a quality stainless drain in there. The benefit to replacing it now versus waiting is that since the camper is fairly new it will be a bit easier then if I wait and let the existing threads corrode and stick together.

Bwht4x4 said:
Bill D - Of course I wouldn't put the same cheap part back in if I replaced it. I would only put in a quality stainless drain in there. The benefit to replacing it now versus waiting is that since the camper is fairly new it will be a bit easier then if I wait and let the existing threads corrode and stick together.
For sure. I owned 2 homes built in 1950. Every time I tried to fix one part, I had to make two trips to the hardware store. Once to get the part that needed replacing and then once again to replace the part that got broken when I tried replacing part #1 :)

I was just curious as to what FWC had to say. Likely they will get a few complaints and change the part. They will only do this if they get feedback.

Did your FWC come with the same silly drain plug. Mine is shaped like the small end of a chopstick. It's very difficult to pull out with soap water on your fingers.

I'll take a look at my drain. It could be pitting too for all I know.

I wouldn't want a lurking new buyer to glean from this exchange that FWCS are comprised of "cheap" components. A FWC is a balance of weight and price point. The whole camper and components could be autoclaved of carbon fiber and weigh 70% less but nobody could afford them. Conversely, all components could be bulletproof and last forever but they wouldn't piggy on a light truck without dualies, nor would you be able to get off the grid with it.

They design to a price point customer with a certain average duration of use. If your usage is more then average some components will wear sooner and require replacement. I am also certain they listen to feedback and substitute better suited components for newer models. I too wish that a custom service was available but they evidently find that cost prohibitive and without sufficient margin. Otherwise, they would seize the business opportunity.

I use mine a lot. It's a great tool.

Kispiox said:
I wouldn't want a lurking new buyer to glean from this exchange that FWCS are comprised of "cheap" components.

If your usage is more then average some components will wear sooner and require replacement.
Color it however you want. This part is cheap and doesn't measure up to FWC standards. There are plenty of lightweight affordable options available. Even if you washed dishes 3 times a day for a year it shouldn't look like that.

Bill D,.. That would lend credence to the saying, "can't please all of em' all the time". I'm pleased,.. and not going to crucify over a relatively minor component such as a drain or faucet which will probably be substituted based on this customer feedback with the next batch of inventory. There isn't anything manufactured that isn't re-engineered based upon customer feedback. I've washed dishes three times a day for over 700+ days to get to where it still functions but bothers me cosmetically to the point that I want to change it. I am surprised nobody else has had issues with the flush faucet. I have changed that out twice and the third is having the same issues needing another changeout.

Please know it is not my intent to square off,.. Just stating my opinion and hear yours clearly as stated. For all we know we could be talking about two different drains from completely different vendors...

My sink is starting to drain a little slow. I don't put much in it but I guess over 4 years it could start to get clogged. What can I safely use to clean out the drain system?

I'd take the drain cap off outside and run a piece of bailing wire up it a ways that has a hook bent into the end and see if you can fish any debris out of it. May try the same from the inside too. Don't be too aggressive with it though and puncture the vinyl tubing they use for the drain. The drain is very, very short and you can likely see most of it from the outside drain and inside sink drain.

I know... reviving the dead but...

Did a search and this was the best post I found... my drain is fine but what is the product to clean the stainless sink? I have some stains/blemishes I'd like to try and remove. Don't want to damage the sinks surface. Currently I just use dish soap. Mine is 2015 Hawk flushmount.

The issue isn't with the sink, it's with the chrome plated drain. The stainless sink is bomber, but IMO harsh and abrasive cleaning agents are going to hurt the chrome plating over time. My drain corroded and lost its chrome plating from simple liquid dishwashing soap.

He asked what to clean the stainless sink with. And comet won't hurt it. The drains are just cheap chrome plated. Ron

Any updates from FWC? How difficult is it to replace the drain? i have flush mount appliances. After 2 yrs, my draining is starting to do the same.

FWC did the replacement for me a while back and they were initially a little unsure how involved it was going to be to replace it. When it was over they indicated that it was really easy and only required unscrewing the drain from the top and screwing a new one in. I don't believe they had to do anything under the sink in the cabinet. I'm guessing a drain tool or pliers inverted may work. Don't take my word though on it since I didn't watch them do it. I'd call them to see what they say. Or even better, next time you're driving through Woodland stop in and have them do it for you.

Kispiox said:
An upstream connected topic,... The folding faucet for the flush mounted sink is styrene plastic at the spout. Over time the lower end upstream end of the spout splits at the base along the mold seam allowing water to bypass the o-ring. I have replaced mine several times. The only interim fix that I can come up with is to silicone the base. Over time the plastic flexes enough that this too begins to leak.

I have looked high and low for a substantial replacement but have found none. Anyone else?
If you don't have the hot water option, go with the ShurFlo. You need to cut a piece of Plexiglas to mount it and cover the two hot/cold knob holes, and rewire it. We did it on our 2005 Eagle and it was one of the first mods to our new Fleet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TRRXQO/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486700236&sr=sr-1&keywords=SHURflo+9400912

Back
Top Bottom