FWC in the Wind and Rain

Whenever the question of the right truck comes up, I like to point out a Ford F350 SuperCab Shortbed 4x4 with gas engine is the answer. The size of the camper, where you drive, how many miles is all pretty irrelevant. The Ford F350 is the answer. Most of the time it is even the answer to the question you haven't asked. It's the answer to the question you don't even know you need to ask. It's that good. I'm sure that helps indeedy.

Vector1, if you're seeing Troutbum around town you must live in the same town? I see him too once in a while. :)

We tend to travel along the coast in the offseason and pack a little electric heater since we stay at state parks during that time. Condensation isn't a big deal. I got mine used and once I re-did the roof she's waterproof as can be and I don't hesitate to be out in the rain. We love the rain on the roof. The only thing I'd say is that if the weather is really nasty, even a Grandby is small if you're inside.

350/3500 is a great choice. Get a supercab or crew cab. The extra space is nice.

Ace! I smile everytime I see you say a "Ford F350 SuperCab Shortbed 4x4 with gas engine is the answer" There is a similar saying about sports cars and Miata's.

Any particuular year of F350 that you are fond of? Size of engine? Rear end gear ratio?

2016, biggest gas engine they offer, 4.30 gearing with E-Locker :)

I drive a Super Duty with V-10 engine, only because they didn't offer a V-12 ! ! !

Obviously I'm being a bit facetious. However, I did buy a new truck for work (I'm in charge of our fleet if you will) and the 2016 Ford F350 XL SuperCab 4x4 is pretty d*mned nice. It is the ultimate work truck (vinyl interior can be sprayed out, manual everything, 8' bed). If I were buying a new truck, it is almost exactly the truck I would buy, but I'd get the 6.75' bed instead of the 8-footer.

No joke, I was on the Mazdaspeed website and left it to check Wanderthewest just now, and I've never owned a Miata (MX-5).

In a month or so I'll be pricing out pickups. ugh. Ace! I'm not completely sold on the new diesels and I know a few folks with 6.2's who really like them, but I'll be towing a trailer or boat behind the camper, hills at elevation, high miles, so gotta have the torque. I miss my old 24V Cummins--should have never sold it, but the short bed Supercab looks like the right amount of storage and the right length wb. Not sure yet. The locking rear diff is absolutely required. Wish the fuel tank was bigger.

One last question re pickups for you Superduty guys: Do the extended cabs with the suicide doors develop more rattles, door problems, etc. being that they don't have the hinge post like the crew cabs? Seems like every utility truck in the world nowadays is a supercab.

Riverrun, I live about 50 mi north of that town in which I believe I've seen Troutbum (midnight blue CTD?), close to the river that runs due north for another 90 or so miles that seems to have fewer fish and more fishermen every year. Am I on the right track?

Thanks to all. See you in the woods and on the river.

High altitude and miles = diesel in my opinion. The gassers are good, but altitude favors the turbo. The campers are light weight and my 10+ year old truck hauls it with little impact.

I use a Hawk on a 2015 GMC Sierra extra cab (not crew cab). Keeps the wheel base short and the truck pulls great. Very happy with the combo. Ford makes a great rig too, but I have had bad luck with Dodge/Jeep products...

cdbbrow1,

The new chev/gmc double cabs look and drive great. I just wish they made the 3500 with a short bed like the 2500. I'm still considering a Ram as I've had a 2d gen and a 3rd gen that were actually pretty good. Both eventually took me down rabbit holes at about 190K miles, but only after years of abuse. After looking under the hood, I'm gun-shy about the PS 6.7 and I wish they had left some room behind the seats of the reg cab HD Fords (and Chevs). I guess it's not supposed to be easy!

Back
Top Bottom