FWC installed Yakima tracks ... which crossbars to buy?

Stokeme

Getting my Camper installed this Tuesday ... Hooray! After I get solar installed I will be looking to complete my Yakima Rack System. I see three crossbar choices, if I am understanding this correctly, Whispbar, Corebar & Roundbar. FWC crossbars, from pictures I have seen, look like Roundbars. Can the installed FWC Yakima tracks handle any of these three crossbars? I ask because I have Thule “J-style” kayak mounts & Thule canoe mounts. Anyone out there with a preference and why? If I am being clueless, give me a quick explanation & detention.

Your Yakima Tracks will determine your Tower options, which will determine your Crossbar options...which as you may have guessed will determine your kayak and canoe mount options. The Skyline tower is the current Yakima Tower, while the Control Towers are the older ones.

I'm sure you can mount Thule Towers on Yakima Tracks. My guess is the Thule Roundbars would also work with the Yakima towers, while the proprietary aerodynamic options will probably not talk to each other.

Just a point of interest..

I had the complete Thule system on my expedition trailer that I used to carry my kayaks with the typical J carriers.
The bars flexed too much for my taste and one time the feet actually came off the trailer. I subsequently installed locks to keep them secure but the bar still flexes more than I liked.

The manufacturer of my trailer (Dinot) came out with a set of feet that bolt directly to the frame and I am in the process of converting over to a more robust system. The company owner actually suggested I look into bars from Vantech and I just received these...

https://www.vantech.us/A285-225-X-1-Aluminum-Cross-Bar-A285.htm

They are heads and shoulders more robust than the Thule system and if they fit your application. I would whole heartedly endorse them.
I should have everything installed this weekend and can post a pic if you'd like.

Take a look at Yakima's JetStream crossbars. They are extruded aluminum (very light and strong) and have a quiet aerodynamic shape. If you choose these bars you will need Yakima "Landing Pads #1" (mount towers directly to FWC Yakima tracks) and the Skyline towers. A note about Whispbar, they are discontinued (you may see bargain prices on the internet but individual parts may be hard to find) and they resemble the Yakima JetStreams but they are not compatible with Yakima's mounts. Yakima actually purchased the Whispbar company and then discontinued their products after about 2 years. I believe Yakima improved on the Whispbar design then introduced the JetStream bars. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Good info, I will check into all suggestions above.

I just installed Yakima skyline towers, landing pads #1, 66" round bars and of course the round bar adapter on my Swift fwc. Looks and works great.

Back
Top Bottom