FWC IOTA 4 LED Flashes?

Wallowa

Double Ought
Just noticed during the night on a recent outing that the IOTA 4 LED was flashing during a trip when we were "living off the batteries". Checked IOTA 4 pdf and flashes were supposed to show the charging stage; but nothing was being charged. We have Zamp 160w roof solar, but of course it was 'asleep'.

Weird to see the flashing light under the cabinet next to icebox...'16 Hawk.

Soooo, why does/was the IOTA flashing when it is not monitoring/controlling charging?

Thanks,

Phil

Beach said:
If you have the install manual the table that explains the LED code is in there. If not use this http://www.iotaengineering.com/pptech.htm
Click on the PDF file for the install on your correct model. I couldn't get the exact page to hyperlink, sorry.

I have the correct IOTA 4 and the pdf and yes, I have the LED Code chart...

As I stated above the LED flashes denote type of charge:

Float = "ON"
Absorption = "Slow Flashing"
Bulk = "Fast Flashing"

My confusion and hence my question; why are there any LEDs displayed at night with no charging occurring? No external power and no solar.

Phil

Answered my own question...sorry for the mix-up and my confusion....

This is from a different pdf than I have for my IQ4:

"The LED indicator will remain lit or flashing when the charger is unplugged or disconnected from the AC supply (de-energized). During this time, the IQ4 continues to monitor the battery voltage. If the battery voltage drops below a pre-determined voltage (Refer to Figure D for predetermined values), the IQ4 will automatically initiate the 3-Stage Charge (BULK, ABSORPTION, and FLOAT) once the AC input is re-connected."

Thanks All,

Phil

I've noticed this, too.

It's kind of annoying to have this flashing when the IOTA charger isn't even on! Especially because, since I couldn't see the indicator LED on the IOTA without sticking my head in the cabinet, I extended it out where I can see it.

Also, it's running down the battery while telling us nothing. How much current is the IOTA drawing from the camper battery when shore power is off?

- Bernard

Bernard,

Well...here is my take on that..first the LED using almost zero amps...next I do not need the LED extended to where I can actually see the LED, I can see the light from it, only three conditions for the LED light: solid, slow or fast blinking. You see that at night; right where it is mounted up and under the cabinet..

It is mildly annoying to have that light show at night...but may have a fix...if it makes sense:

Tape over the LED light...no heat from an LED and honestly it is sending a message that I have no interest in...only concern is that tape should not cover the IOTA or 4 in case they generate heat and need to be 'vented' when in use as a charging system...

My IOTA and 4 are in an open space under the front of the left rear corner of my cabinets and directly below the fridge...nothing shows from above but that area uncovered at the bottom and is open towards the floor.

I suspect that I am making much to do about nothing.... ;)

Phil

To answer my own question, I measured how much current the IOTA charger draws from the battery when it's off (no AC power to it):

40 mA

That's when it's in the mode where the indicator LED is on constantly. The average current obviously would be less if the LED was flashing.

It's wasted battery power, but not terrible. About one amp-hour per day.

- Bernard

Back
Top Bottom