FWC New Awning

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
FWC has a new awning and it is pretty awesome. Go to their Facebook page. I believe Rocky Mountain FWC posted a video, and the video shows a very easy to set up awning, soft pack with 3 straps, folds out like a fan, down the the complete passenger side, around the back and part way up the driver side, 2 legs like the Fiamma. Check it out. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I like the Fiamma better. Even without the rear coverage. A hard case appeals to me more than a soft sided bag.
Does the bat wing have an option of a room with walls like the Fiamma?

Sure wish the Hawk's could hold the 11' Fiamma though.

Yes you can get walls to enclose the Bat Wing. You can see these options on the Ez Awn site. Rhino Racks sells a very similar awning and you can even add what they call a "Tag Along" tent to theirs.

Stan - will the new awning be able to be retrofitted to current campers?

I spoke with Equipt in Salt Lake City today.
Sounds like this may be an option to do as a retrofit in the future.
They may need some work done developing a bracket to use first.
You can be put on a wait list with Equipt to have the awning added once they figure it out.

Stalking Light said:
Seems like that awning just above the rear door would make it more awkward for old codgers like me to get in and out. Neat concept, though.
I'm 6'3" I personally always enter and exit facing the camper. My head would never hit the awning entering and existing in this manner. I find it much easier to do as well. Kind of like climbing up and down a ladder. It's way easier and safer if you are facing the ladder.

Bill D said:
I'm 6'3" I personally always enter and exit facing the camper. My head would never hit the awning entering and existing in this manner. I find it much easier to do as well. Kind of like climbing up and down a ladder. It's way easier and safer if you are facing the ladder.
I enter and exit facing the camper too but only have to duck at the door rather than before. I like my FWC rear awning better as it is attached to the roof not just above the door, YMMV of course.

Stalking Light said:
I enter and exit facing the camper too but only have to duck at the door rather than before. I like my FWC rear awning better as it is attached to the roof not just above the door, YMMV of course.
I'll have to check next time I get into the camper if my head goes above the door and then I duck in, or if it's a fluid motion up and in. I'll keep an open mind. It certainly would be annoying.
One of the reasons I got a FWC was the ease of getting in and out of it. I like the nice wide door.

It's funny, my GF is 5'0" and she sometimes bumps her head when she has a hair clip in her hair. So as you said YMMV, but mohawks are definitely out :)

Well the "Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Degree Awning" is $1,300....my take is that it is a desert sun awning..

Interesting design but the single pivot post attachment and load would give me pause...however I am sure they are well engineered...My Fiamma F45S seems to do the job for our use and it is well made.

Phil

My buddy and I purchased 2 of these awnings. We concluded, they are poorly made. No where near the quality of ARB awnings (for comparison). The storage bag is cheap material. It is heavier, longer, wider than specs we found listed online. The unit will provide shade but specifically states not "waterproof" and not intended to be used in windy or wet locations. The canvas material somewhat cheap quality. We returned them.

I'd say to look at it in person before buying. Maybe it will work for you. At least compare with ARB quality (way less $$$ too).

Here in the NW rain protection is more important than sun. :(

I like the rear awning I created from the rear cargo cover from our old Ford Escape.
It's simple to use always there,no put up and take down than find a place to store.
Don't know why it has to be such a complicated thing.Why can't FWC come up with a smaller version of the side awning?
Just saying.
Frank

Frank,
X2 on a smaller version of the side awning. The FWC rear awning is cumbersome and takes a while to put up and take down. If I know we are going to stay in one place for an extended period I will consider taking it, but not when I know we are dropping the top every day to sight see. jd

With the gas springs on the outside of my Eagle I can't see any good way to mount a more elaborate awning that would be attached to the roof and not just above the door. And then the awning would have to be lifted when the roof was.

It takes me maybe 5 minutes to put up and take down my FWC rear awning and my only complaint with it is when I have to put it away wet inside the camper. I've thought about rigging up some straps so I could just roll it up in place for non-highway use but again the lack of room would make even that awkward.

Hannibal makes a nice awning if you like the bag type. Its a two point pivot .... and if staked down, it can handle some stiff winds. I wouldn't put it up in anything over 25 knots though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 6.45.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 6.45.32 PM.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 229

Back
Top Bottom