FWC Raven is small... what are your packing strategies, equipment?

munchmeister

Advanced Member
The FWC Raven is small, made for short box pickups. I think I have a pretty good approach to gear and strategies for travel and what to do when I stop to camp. But I'm always interested in others' approach to packing gear and handling it while in camp. So what are your packing strategies and equipment used?

I have a raven also and a 60 lb dog. I bought the shell because I did not want all the extras to take valuable space. In the left rear I made a storage cabinet. I put in a counter and sink on the left wall. I have storage box under my sink /counter. The right side I left as is. I sit on the bench that came with the shell and I have a tv tray for eating and computer work. that's it. A matter of fact I am done camping for the summer (hot here in Louisiana) and I took my camper off the truck and I am taking many things out that I never used all spring. I have a shower tent for showers. I have an extended cab gmc so the dog takes up 3/4 of the back seat and tools, ice chest etc takes up the rest. My front seat is always full of cloths and other odds and ends. I am currently working on installing a receiver hitch for my front to carry a wench. I carry a folding table and a lawn chair, which I take out of the camper when I arrive.

I take the bed and the dog sleeps on the floor. I do not have a camping partner, ( other than my dog) so that makes it easier. I could not get my girlfriend to sleep on the floor, but the dog loves it.

RKL said:
I am currently working on installing a receiver hitch for my front to carry a wench.
Avast ye fellow wanderers! For many a voyage I thought about carrying a wench on my front receiver hitch, but alas I thought it would be a wee bit dangerous.

Besides, my wife wouldn't look too kindly upon me bringing a wench along. For sure she'd make me walk the plank, sending me down to Davy Jones Locker. Yarrrr!

Man I love spell check! :p

No, worries, no insult taken. Just thought the typo had an interesting double entendre.

I hope that I did not offend you. Sometimes my sense of humor is a little off kilter.

Have a great time wandering and keep on truckin! ;)

Tuff Guy

I have an Eagle shell which is smaller. It has the rollover couch with some storage under it. I use this storage for trip specific items out of the norm mostly.

I have a Large Plano box that carries most of my kitchen stuff and staple food items. It rides in the back of the crew cab and comes out and goes on the picnic table at campgrounds. If I carry extra drinks they ride in a small cooler also in the rear of the crewcab.

Inside the camper the spare bed cushions stack on the left bench forward and are secured with Bungies.

Luggage stack in same spot on the right hand couch also secured with Bungies.

My Truck fridge Is on a plate in the floor north south all the way forward and against couch front. To the left of the fridge is a space that allows me to carry 2 GCI tall directors chairs folded up and standing on edge.

This all leaves space for bedding(2 rolled up sleeping bags) on the left bench and some extra room. A good bit of floor space for things like screen house or extra bag chairs. 1/2 the couch is normally open for extra stuff. I use the space behind the couch for umbrella's, fishing rods, walking stick ect. An unzipped sleeping bag can be stored over the couch back like a throw.

When I stop to set up usually a couple of things have to come out. This normally only takes a couple of minutes. Anything in the floor and the chairs. Then I can enter and raise the roof. Once the top is up and the bed pulled out these can go back inside out of the way if need be.

I learned a lot about my setup and organization last fall by taking lots of short close by overnighters. Leave stuff at home that didn't get used. My packing system worked itself out pretty quick this way.

Next time I put the camper back on the truck I'll take some packed pics. I've been meaning to do this for a while. But the PB issue hasn't made me jump on posting pics lately. I guess I'll have to figure out how soon.

Munch, I also have a Raven. I think there is enough storage for trips lasting a week or less. I store larger items (2 lawn chairs, folding table, and a mat for outside)on the floor while driving and take them out when get to camp. The rest goes in my back seat of the truck (cooler, grill, clothes, tools,ect. ) I do store a lot under the couch too. I happen to have a cargo box for the roof rack from and older truck but have not had to put it on and use it yet. Guess I would if I took longer trips.

Chris

So far I've got you all beat. My Finch is the smallest and I've got a roll over couch. Summer and winter packing is far different.
The norm is:
three yellow topped storage totes (costco) stacked closest to the cab, 1 is camping gear, 1 is kitchen stuff, 1 is firewood
one or two sleeping bags
one or two clothing bags
plastic Lifetime table
foldable camp chair(s)
foldable camp table(like the chairs)
one 100w solar panel
RTIC 20 cooler
milk crate holding 1gal propane tank, Mr Heater
6gal potable water container
4gal wash water container
foldable step

Some of these items vary for season and where I plan to camp. If I'm somewhere where spring water is available for washing dishes/self I don't take wash water. Summer equals no heater or firewood depending on restrictions.
It is a lot but I have system to pack it all in. You have much more room than me and it takes time to get everything dialed in.

You need to access your wheel wells for stashing stuff. FWC is not very good at making big access ports to the wells. I cut hatches and added bigger doors for access. No problems with stability and cracks

Back
Top Bottom