FWC Roof Solar Plug and Wiring

SuperDutyFWC

Gone Traveling
Does anyone know the max amps the roof plug will accept? I was thinking about upgrading my roof top solar panel but after looking at some wiring kits I see that the stock plug and wiring may not be up to the task.

As an example, a Zamp single solar roof plug, Zamp ZS-1B-CAP, has a 20A rating, or not to exceed two 170W panels.

What is the factory plug rated? How much panel will the wiring handle?

SuperDutyFWC said:
Does anyone know the max amps the roof plug will accept? I was thinking about upgrading my roof top solar panel but after looking at some wiring kits I see that the stock plug and wiring may not be up to the task.

As an example, a Zamp single solar roof plug, Zamp ZS-1B-CAP, has a 20A rating, or not to exceed two 170W panels.

What is the factory plug rated? How much panel will the wiring handle?
not using that plug myself, but I have a single 330w panel on my roof and the stock wiring is fine. How many watts are you looking to put up there? You can always wire them in serial if you want less amps.

Thanks Stan.

Vic, I am considering replacing my single 100W panel with a single 300W panel and didn't know if I should rewire it with a heavier duty plug and wiring. I was asking the solar panel manufacturer about my charge controller, thinking it was too small, and he confirmed I should use one with a higher capacity, which led me down the rabbit-hole of plugs. That's when I saw that Zamp's plugs and ports had amperage ratings and it led me further into consideration of the stock plug, which looks like a Zamp plug and probably not rated to handle the single 300W panel I'm looking at.

Consider a 24V panel - that's half the current through the plug for a 12V panel. If you are upgrading the charge controller, get one that can handle 24V as well. A Victron MPPT will do you very well.

What are the specs on the panel your are looking at? I assume a 300W panel would be a residential panel and therefor a higher voltage/lower current panel.

To get to your question - the wiring should be fine up to at least 32A (assuming 12 AWG, but I think newer campers are wired with 10AWG). There are not really 'specs' for SAE connectors, so your best bet would be to run the panel through the connector and make sure it doesn't get hot. I think something in the range of 15A would be no issue.

Really interesting questions. When talking to the manufacturer of the panel, the technician stated, and I'm paraphrasing, that the voltage of the panel doesn't matter. It charges at a certain amp/hr and the voltage you see 12v vs 24v is irrelevant to the charging. It's really more about the output of the batteries. He stated you can charge 12v batteries in parallel or series, in a 12V or 24V system with any panel. The 12V vs 24V is really talking about the system, the electrical needs coming from the appliances. Do you have a 12V or 24V system of appliances puling electricity from your batteries, regardless of input. Meaning, you can use two 12V to achieve 24V for your 24V system and use the same solar panel as you would with two 12V batteries in a 12V system.

Basically he said they are marketed as 12V or 24V panels not because of the power they generate, but based on how people typically use them, for their power needs in a 12V or 24V system.

That being said, the 100W panel specs show, max system voltage 1000V, 100W, 18V, 5.56 amps. The 300W panel shows max system voltage 1000V, 300W, 32.48V, 9.91 amps.

Edited to add: even the charge controllers don't seem to "care" about the voltage, whether 12V or 24V. The Zamp 30A controller, as an example allows either.

SuperDutyFWC said:
Thanks Stan.

Vic, I am considering replacing my single 100W panel with a single 300W panel and didn't know if I should rewire it with a heavier duty plug and wiring. I was asking the solar panel manufacturer about my charge controller, thinking it was too small, and he confirmed I should use one with a higher capacity, which led me down the rabbit-hole of plugs. That's when I saw that Zamp's plugs and ports had amperage ratings and it led me further into consideration of the stock plug, which looks like a Zamp plug and probably not rated to handle the single 300W panel I'm looking at.
A 300w panel is going to be "24V" not 12v panel for sure, so the current will be much less than you would get from having 3x 100W in parallel on the roof. To make use of that, you will need a MPPT style of solar controller. I strongly recommend the Victron 100/30 vs any ZAMP controller.

You plug should be fine, but if you are tempted to rip it out, consider using a solar gland that accepts MC4 connectors or wiring
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Restmo-Weather-Resistant-Housing/dp/B07WL7D9V6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=solar+gland+mc4&qid=1594939400&sr=8-4

When I bought my 330W panel a year ago it was the biggest (watts) I could find. Now I can get the same physical size panel with 440W for about the same $$$.

Another advantage I learned about, (correct if wrong, Vic), is that the higher voltage of a 24v panel or wiring panels in series to increase the voltage is that in low light conditions, like cloudy days or early/late in the day, is that the higher voltage system may still produce enough volts to provide some charging when the lower voltage one or more 12 panels in parallel may be producing nothing to the battery.

Did I make any sense there?

SuperDutyFWC said:
Really interesting questions. When talking to the manufacturer of the panel, the technician stated, and I'm paraphrasing, that the voltage of the panel doesn't matter. It charges at a certain amp/hr and the voltage you see 12v vs 24v is irrelevant to the charging. It's really more about the output of the batteries. He stated you can charge 12v batteries in parallel or series, in a 12V or 24V system with any panel. The 12V vs 24V is really talking about the system, the electrical needs coming from the appliances. Do you have a 12V or 24V system of appliances puling electricity from your batteries, regardless of input. Meaning, you can use two 12V to achieve 24V for your 24V system and use the same solar panel as you would with two 12V batteries in a 12V system.

Basically he said they are marketed as 12V or 24V panels not because of the power they generate, but based on how people typically use them, for their power needs in a 12V or 24V system.

That being said, the 100W panel specs show, max system voltage 1000V, 100W, 18V, 5.56 amps. The 300W panel shows max system voltage 1000V, 300W, 32.48V, 9.91 amps.

Edited to add: even the charge controllers don't seem to "care" about the voltage, whether 12V or 24V. The Zamp 30A controller, as an example allows either.
Hmmm... I have questions about this info... much of it does not agree with what I know.

1) "the voltage of the panel doesn't matter. It charges at a certain amp/hr and the voltage you see 12v vs 24v is irrelevant to the charging. It's really more about the output of the batteries."
Well, yes and no. How the panel generates power is largely irrelevant to the battery voltage. It is generally more efficient in a large home/commercial system to run higher voltages as it reduces power losses. Just like the power lines coming from hydro/gas power plants run at very high voltages.

And yes, the output to the batteries needs to be what the batteries want to consume.

2) He stated you can charge 12v batteries in parallel or series, in a 12V or 24V system with any panel.

Also true. Which is why we can use dual 6V batteries instead of 12V batteries in our campers. But since we are ultimately going to want 12V, our batteries are wired/configured to create 12V, not 6V or 24V.

3) The 12V vs 24V is really talking about the system, the electrical needs coming from the appliances. Do you have a 12V or 24V system of appliances puling electricity from your batteries, regardless of input. Meaning, you can use two 12V to achieve 24V for your 24V system and use the same solar panel as you would with two 12V batteries in a 12V system.

Also true. And we need 12V for our campers.

4) Basically he said they are marketed as 12V or 24V panels not because of the power they generate, but based on how people typically use them, for their power needs in a 12V or 24V system.

Not in my experience. The terminology of 12V or 24V is definitely a derivative of how the cells on the panel are configured. A 12V panel will output much more than 12V and generally less than 24V. This Renogy 160W panel does 22.9V at 8.37A - https://www.renogy.com/160-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

A 24V panel will put out more than 24V - this Renogy 320W panel puts out 40V and 9.6A. That's a very different way to generate the power... more volts, less amps.
https://www.renogy.com/320-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-120-cell/

5) even the charge controllers don't seem to "care" about the voltage, whether 12V or 24V. The Zamp 30A controller, as an example allows either.

Umm.... yes they do. Unless you are using a 30A PWM style controller, in which case neither panel will create the advertised amount. PWM style controllers "throw away" any voltage over what the battery needs (best case 14.5V or so + 0.5V = 15.1V) and it is just that 15.1 * the max current of the panel that you will get in the way of power. Meaning that both of the above panels would see only:

15.1* 8.37 = 126W
15.1* 9.6A = 145W

A good MPPT controller will get much more out of these panels if feeding a 12V battery array.

If a 12V panel produces more than 12V why is is called a 12V panel and why is 24V panel called a 24V panel. Neither panel is producing 12 or 24V. I think what the technician meant was there isn't a practical difference. Use a 12V or 24V panel to charge your 12V batteries, using the proper controller, it won't make any practical difference. Why do we care whether it's a 100W 12V panel or a 300W 24V panel?

Look at the charge controllers specs. Some will handle 12V, 24V and 48V. Doesn't matter. Here is the one I'm considering https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt-100-30 , and it's stamped 12V/24V. Doesn't matter whether the panel is 12V or 24V, because ultimately the panel, whether a 100W 12V panel or a 300W 24V panel, isn't really providing 12V or 24V of power.

SuperDutyFWC said:

Definitely don't take any advice from that tech - he doesn't seem to have much of a grip on basic physics. I would agree with Vic to avoid Zamp in general. You certainly would not want to use a '24V' panel with a Zamp PWM controller, and a 12V battery, you would be throwing away more than half the power. Similarly a '12V panel' will not charge a 24V battery pack regardless of the charge controller.

At 9.9A, you should be fine with an SAE connector and the stock wiring.

PS the 12/24V on the Victron MPPT refers to the battery voltage, not the panel voltage. The panel voltage can be any where from 18 - 100V.

CoreyTrevor said:
Another advantage I learned about, (correct if wrong, Vic), is that the higher voltage of a 24v panel or wiring panels in series to increase the voltage is that in low light conditions, like cloudy days or early/late in the day, is that the higher voltage system may still produce enough volts to provide some charging when the lower voltage one or more 12 panels in parallel may be producing nothing to the battery.

Did I make any sense there?
basically correct. Even a MPPT controller can't bump UP the incoming voltage, so if it is too low (15 or less) then charging is hard to do. 2 panels in series eliminate that problem

https://www.solacity.com/mppt-vs-pwm-charge-controllers-whats-difference/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIyrsgIiixZTz3TGO8Vqbfvo_g2lTaJrJw5iaL9qeqjJy8fkylB096QUaAhNvEALw_wcB

SuperDutyFWC said:
If a 12V panel produces more than 12V why is is called a 12V panel and why is 24V panel called a 24V panel. Neither panel is producing 12 or 24V. I think what the technician meant was there isn't a practical difference. Use a 12V or 24V panel to charge your 12V batteries, using the proper controller, it won't make any practical difference. Why do we care whether it's a 100W 12V panel or a 300W 24V panel?

Look at the charge controllers specs. Some will handle 12V, 24V and 48V. Doesn't matter. Here is the one I'm considering https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt-100-30 , and it's stamped 12V/24V. Doesn't matter whether the panel is 12V or 24V, because ultimately the panel, whether a 100W 12V panel or a 300W 24V panel, isn't really providing 12V or 24V of power.
the 12V label or 24V label is a "nominal" rating... just like the 110V in your house isn't really 110V or a 2x4" piece of lumber isn't really that size either.

I care if the panel is 100W 12V vs 300W 24V because the 300W panel has the capability to give me 3x the power into my batteries.

I use that Victron 100/30 myself, great product.

I might say I have a 12v battery or a 12v system (even though neither is technically true) and I might say I have panels "for" a 12v system but I'd never say I have 12v panels. I just went and measured. Earlier I said I have 17v panels but that was incorrect. I just measured 19v.

craig333 said:
I might say I have a 12v battery or a 12v system (even though neither is technically true) and I might say I have panels "for" a 12v system but I'd never say I have 12v panels. I just went and measured. Earlier I said I have 17v panels but that was incorrect. I just measured 19v.
That sounds like the right usage of the nominal terms. Most often a 12V panel will range from 15V to 24V. A 24V panel is 29V or more.

Edit - I don't think rando is saying the same thing... unless you mean that last sentence "PS the 12/24V on the Victron MPPT refers to the battery voltage, not the panel voltage. The panel voltage can be any where from 18 - 100V."

Vic

Craig, I think that's what's confusing. The tech is essentially saying the same thing, they aren't 12 and 24V panels, although they are often used in 12 and 24V systems. You can use a "24V" panel in a 12V system, if you have to call them by a voltage. They can be used in either system. Some of the responders are calling them 12V and 24V panels and, appearing to, fail to recognize they are just panels and you use the corresponding controller. The tech is saying just use the right controller and it doesn't matter what you call it. Buy the size panel you need to provide the charging capacity you need for the batteries you have, making sure the controller will mitigate that power to the batteries in the way they need to be charged. Getting hung up on what you call the panel muddies things. The controller doesn't care what you call the panel, it matters whether you have the controller that "fits" the panel, the input/output.

The part Rando and the tech were saying the same is the 12V/24V refers to the battery voltage, not the panel voltage. The rest of what Rando said didn't relate to the tech. The tech didn't say anything about brands of device, MPPT, PWM, etc. The tech said the 12V/24V referred to the system, whether it was a 12V or 24V system.

I am not sure what point you are trying to get across here? The output voltage of a the panel absolutely does matter, and they are not interchangeable. You cannot use a 12V nominal panel with a 24V nominal battery bank. You also cannot use a '24V' panel effectively with a 12V nominal battery unless you use an MPPT charge controller, which it appears the 'tech' did not bring up.

You are right that the 'nominal' panel voltage is not the actual panel voltage, but the nominal voltage allows you to select the correct panel to work with your system. You should also note that the 'nominal' battery voltage is not that actual battery voltage. I don't think either of these are news though.

I think you hit the nail on the head! I'm not trying to make a point. I asked a question. Stan was kind enough to answer it right away and then several others attempted to make "points". I'm not contradicting you, and you're saying things that I've already stated, and confirming what the tech said. Of course the output voltage matters.

Everyone should drop the ego. You don't have to stress a point, that no one is arguing, in order to be right. I'm not making a counter.

Back
Top Bottom