FWC Solar Wiring Gauge vs Solar Panel [s] Output

Wallowa

Double Ought
Well just got the word from FWC that my '16 Hawk which I ordered new with a Zamp 160w and then just added a Zamp 170w [about 20a and 18v] only has 10 gauge solar wiring and wiring could be from "18-22" feet. According to FWC in some "new" campers they now come with 8 gauge solar wiring. If you order a single panel, you still will get 10 gauge.

Has anyone put multiple solar panels on a FWC with this 10 gauge solar wiring?

If you did, what is your solar output and have you had any issues?

Thanks...I seem to keep "stepping in it'...my learning curve seems to be flat :cool:

Phil

This may or may not help... But when I put 240 watts of solar panels on my 2005 Hawk roof I wired them in series. That way - running higher voltage but not higher current - I got around the pre-wired wire gauge limitation. BUT: I then had to use a MPPT charge controller to 'convert' the higher voltage into normal voltage at higher current into the batteries.

MarkBC said:
This may or may not help... But when I put 240 watts of solar panels on my 2005 Hawk roof I wired them in series. That way - running higher voltage but not higher current - I got around the pre-wired wire gauge limitation. BUT: I then had to use a MPPT charge controller to 'convert' the higher voltage into normal voltage at higher current into the batteries.

Thanks!

As I understand with a 22 foot wiring length and with 10 gauge the amperage and the volts from my system that reach the FWC Zamp 30a controller will be reduced. If I my maximum amperage [9.45 + 8.80 = 18.25....170/160w @ 18v] drops below the 15 amp fuse on my FWC solar wire, I will be OK and if the voltage drop is not below the lowest incoming voltage the controller requires my marginal system should be OK.

A lot of " shoulds " in my logic! Add in that my two panels will in all likely hood not produce the full amount reflected in the W=Amps x Volts.

Damn...what would have been the cost of installing 8 gauge vs the 10 gauge...oh well, spilled milk.

Phil

Ps..Just looked a Zamp 30 controller spec sheet and it appears to be "...lowest operating voltage [at solar or battery side" is 8 volts...

Odds are very low that you will have problems with the wire and fuse. You just won’t get optimal charging. Especially over the winter!

Vic Harder said:
Odds are very low that you will have problems with the wire and fuse. You just won’t get optimal charging. Especially over the winter!

Vic,

Thanks....after running the numbers as I understand them I am good to go...on FWC's recommendation I called "Sixguntwelvelvolt " in Reno and he said that the 10 gauge was OK, perhaps a 3% loss but after talking to him, I will probably drive down in June and have a 'make over'...put panels in series, use MC4s,Vitcron 100/30 controller, DC-DC charger, heavy duty wires to/from alternator and on his suggestion a single 100ah Battle Born LiFePo4 battery....whew! hey it is only $$$$.

If anyone has gone this route let me know...guy in Reno seemed sharp.

Phil

Assuming your ZAMP controller is a PWM controller (which I think it is) then the thinner wire won't actually make any difference in the amount of power you get. The PWM controller is already 'throwing away' the voltage above the battery voltage, so there is no less power produced by having that voltage lost in the wires. Also if you know where the 15A fuse is on the solar wiring, you can get rid of it, or switch if for a much larger fuse - it serves no purpose.

Three Overland Solar 160 watt panels in parallel, Victron 100/50 MPPT on a 2015 Fwc and I'm sure it has thin gauge wiring also. Been using it and no problems noted.

250 w with the stock wiring into a pwm controller and it works great.

I upgraded the wiring from the truck but passed on the DC DC charger. Glad I did since I've yet to need to use the alternator for charging, even in the winter.

Hey, thanks for all the feed back...like I keep saying, I have a lot to learn!

Pvstoy: Still using the FWC SAE plug on the roof? 480w.....@18v parallel that is a whopping 27a! What is your fuse rating? See it is a flatbed Hawk; where did you mount them?

Rando: Forgot about the Zamp 30 PWM controller dumping extra volts, that controller is not the choke point as I understand it, but amperage potentially was excessive for the 10 gauge with the length of wire, and the 15 amp fuse is of course the ultimate limiter in my circuit....However, it does seem that as I currently have my solar system configured it should stay on line even if I lose a percentage of the amps and volts; nor should it blow that 15 amp fuse....no idea the problem I could generate by putting in a 20amp to replace the 15 amp fuse, but I doubt if that will be necessary ...will carry extra bag of 15 amp fuses :LOL: just in case..

Craig: I think the DC-DC along with upgrading the gauge of wiring used in that system is an adjunct to a LiFePo4 battery bank....could be wrong. My understanding, again very limited, is an MPPT will deliver more amps to the battery bank than the PWM will as delivered from my two panels...more efficient. The Li battery also allows more available power/amps from a given battery aH, is lighter in weight and lasts longer than my AGMs...and over time the cost per amp is lower than with AGM.

Plumbing and electrical wiring are not my strong areas! :cool:

Phil

Overland solar panels are around 28 volts and 5 something amps. So parallel 28ish volts and 15 something amps for three 160 panels, 480 watts. Yes using stock roof jack and wiring to the controller.

I added two x 100 watt Renogy panels, and a Go Power solar controller, two x 240 amp hour six volt AGM batteries using all the factory wiring on my 2019 FWC hawk, no problems. Before I did the work I spoke with a tech at Renogy and he said the wiring from the roof wasn't an issue. The wiring from the truck to the camper is whatever the dealer installed in Montana. Pretty inexpensive as systems go.

I know lots of folks have very high quality systems, have upgraded the truck wiring, but I leave my National Luna refrigerator/freezer on 24/7 and only have to plug in if I have 3 cloudy days and no driving. I do face my truck south and I'm currently in southern NM.

pvstoy said:
Overland solar panels are around 28 volts and 5 something amps. So parallel 28ish volts and 15 something amps for three 160 panels, 480 watts. Yes using stock roof jack and wiring to the controller.

Still trying to grasp all this...but thought the power to run our campers comes from amperage...so 15 amps from 480w seems low, however if the voltage is 28 volts in your panels rather than the 18 volts in mine....I am guess that the rate of amps into the batteries is higher....the charge rate is increased with higher voltage... but I am fuzzy on this!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Hey, thanks for all the feed back...like I keep saying, I have a lot to learn!

Rando: Forgot about the Zamp 30 PWM controller dumping extra volts, that controller is not the choke point as I understand it, but amperage potentially was excessive for the 10 gauge with the length of wire, and the 15 amp fuse is of course the ultimate limiter in my circuit....However, it does seem that as I currently have my solar system configured it should stay on line even if I lose a percentage of the amps and volts; nor should it blow that 15 amp fuse....no idea the problem I could generate by putting in a 20amp to replace the 15 amp fuse, but I doubt if that will be necessary ...will carry extra bag of 15 amp fuses :LOL: just in case..

Phil
I think we are on slightly different frequencies - my point was that the ZAMP PWM is the choke point, and thus you won't loose any power (voltage or current) from using thinner wire. Your amperage is well below the limits for 10 AWG wiring (>30 amps, se below) and again the fuse is unnecessary so putting a larger fuse in there is a good idea if you will be near 15A output from your panels.

I think Vic is better at explaining this stuff, but I can try - your solar panels have two current specifications Isc (Short circuit current - which is the maximum current the panel can produce into a dead short) and Imp (maximum power current - which is the current at which you get the maximum power from the panel). The absolute maximum current the panel can produce (unless the sun goes super nova) is Isc, so as long as your wire is rated for that current, there is no need to fuse as there is no circumstance where the fuse will be needed. One caveat to note though - you should to have a fuse between the charge controller and battery, or built into the charge controller. The battery is capable or producing much more current than the wire can handle.

This question comes up a lot so as a general rule, up sizing the wire to your solar panels is not going to significantly increase solar panel performance, particularly for the effort involved. The time/money would be better spent on more panels (in series if necessary) and/or an MPPT charge controller.

As for the power loss - 50' of 10AWG wire has a resistance of 0.05 ohms. Assuming two 160W panels in parallel with an Imp of 15A at Vmp of 21V, this is a voltage drop of 0.75V, which reduces the power output by 0.75/21 = 3.5%. This is the maximum 'extra power' you could get by upgrading the wire to (super conducting?) wire with no resistance with your panels at peak performance into an MPPT controller. In reality, the upgraded wire still has some resistance, and the current is actually much lower than Imp for a flat mounted panel so the power loss is around 2%.

PKYS has nice table of wire ampacity based on ABYC specifications:
Ampacity-Table.png

Seeing we don't know the exact specs of the wire FWC uses (unfortunately in mine they seem to have used residential wiring) or the connectors they use, I would stay a bit below these limits, but 30A should be fine.

larryqp said:
I added two x 100 watt Renogy panels, and a Go Power solar controller, two x 240 amp hour six volt AGM batteries using all the factory wiring on my 2019 FWC hawk, no problems. Before I did the work I spoke with a tech at Renogy and he said the wiring from the roof wasn't an issue. The wiring from the truck to the camper is whatever the dealer installed in Montana. Pretty inexpensive as systems go.

I know lots of folks have very high quality systems, have upgraded the truck wiring, but I leave my National Luna refrigerator/freezer on 24/7 and only have to plug in if I have 3 cloudy days and no driving. I do face my truck south and I'm currently in southern NM.

Larry,

Thanks for this.

OK as I understand it, you have 12 volts with 240 amps....with 120 amps available at 50% AGM. No idea if your Hawk has 10 or 8 gauge wiring as 2019 was I believe about the time FWC thought that folks may add a second or third panel, Like I stated FWC said they still install 10 gauge in single panel builds; but, offer 8 gauge for multi-panels.

As to the wiring to the truck; my understanding is that FWC's low gauge wiring to and from the truck
is indeed a weak component, especially if you go to DC-DC charger or have a very high output alternator.

I could be wrong in all this! :cool:

Phil

Rando,

OK...I get that and thanks...new to me is the Isc and IMP voltage 'ratings'....and yes, Vic has been great at leading me through this as you have...since 10gauge is fine even at the Isc voltage...

Hey, if I make the swing to Li; expect a lot of vetting requests of my plan!

Thanks,
Phil

Ps...Regardless I will install a Victron 100/30 MPPT controller this Spring

Check the wires! On mine 12 from roof to controller and from there 10 to batteries. Weak point is a crimping behind the folding-panels. Have a look at all the crimping you can check, some are real loose. Almost burned a hole trough the vinyl, even though at the same time i had 22/23 amps coming from the solar panels. Up to 17/19 amps I didn‘t observe any problems.
Meanwhile I switched to a MPPT controller, wired two panels in series, the third panel that doesnt fit (amps) I run through the rear port and the old ZAMP controler.

Helmut said:
Check the wires! On mine 12 from roof to controller and from there 10 to batteries. Weak point is a crimping behind the folding-panels. Have a look at all the crimping you can check, some are real loose. Almost burned a hole trough the vinyl, even though at the same time i had 22/23 amps coming from the solar panels. Up to 17/19 amps I didn‘t observe any problems.
Meanwhile I switched to a MPPT controller, wired two panels in series, the third panel that doesnt fit (amps) I run through the rear port and the old ZAMP controler.

Interesting....thanks, will take a look at all the wiring I can access...

What year FWC? What were the panels that put out 22/23amps?

Appreciate input..

Phil

Wallowa said:
Larry,

Thanks for this.

OK as I understand it, you have 12 volts with 240 amps....with 120 amps available at 50% AGM. No idea if your Hawk has 10 or 8 gauge wiring as 2019 was I believe about the time FWC thought that folks may add a second or third panel, Like I stated FWC said they still install 10 gauge in single panel builds; but, offer 8 gauge for multi-panels.

As to the wiring to the truck; my understanding is that FWC's low gauge wiring to and from the truck
is indeed a weak component, especially if you go to DC-DC charger or have a very high output alternator.

I could be wrong in all this! :cool:

Phil
Phil, allow me to correct your language here... You are correct, at 50% SOC Larry gets 1/2 of his stated battery rating, which is 240AH... or more exactly, 240A for 1 hour. (Not that he would actually get that much, but that's what the rating means). Or more likely, 10A for 24 hours.

Phil!

it‘s a 2017 grandby.

three different panels.
ZAMP 160w / 9amp (older, non-flexible model)
Renogy 160w / 9amp (similar to ZAMP above)
120w / 5amp flexible panel can‘t remember the „brand“ (originally i had two of these)

voltage on all three about the same

in my first setup, all three in paralel, the highest amps I observed on the ZAMP controller were:
USA 15amps. Mexico/Guatemala 17amps. Colombia 23!!!! amps. I know this is nominal max and my only source is the ZAMP controller. But even though there were probably a lot of amps pushed through that skinny wire.

So now I switched to a Victron controller for the two larger panels, in series, through the roof port. The smaller panel through the rear port and the ZAMP controller.

I know this sounds weird, but I wanted to use everything as long as it still works and do changes as soon as something breaks

Helmut said:
Phil!

it‘s a 2017 grandby.

three different panels.
ZAMP 160w / 9amp (older, non-flexible model)
Renogy 160w / 9amp (similar to ZAMP above)
120w / 5amp flexible panel can‘t remember the „brand“ (originally i had two of these)

voltage on all three about the same

in my first setup, all three in paralel, the highest amps I observed on the ZAMP controller were:
USA 15amps. Mexico/Guatemala 17amps. Colombia 23!!!! amps. I know this is nominal max and my only source is the ZAMP controller. But even though there were probably a lot of amps pushed through that skinny wire.

So now I switched to a Victron controller for the two larger panels, in series, through the roof port. The smaller panel through the rear port and the ZAMP controller.

I know this sounds weird, but I wanted to use everything as long as it still works and do changes as soon as something breaks

Not weird.. innovative and pragmatic!

Closer to equator and more amps....makes sense..I am at 45 degrees N...so sun not so intense!

Thanks for the information....

Phil

Back
Top Bottom