FWC tie downs?

Lefty315

I currently have an Arctic Fox camper, secured with Tork lift attachments. I've been tossing the idea around of getting rid of the Arctic Fox and going with something significantly lighter and more mobile. In my search I've been reading a lot about the Four Wheel campers.

My question is this. How are they secured to the bed of the truck? I've seen a few photos where they use traditional turnbuckles on the outside of the bed, but several photos appear to be connected on the inside of the bed.

Mine (2005) is turnbuckles to bolts in the bed (i.e., on the inside). As far as i know, that's standard.

Lefty, most are connected with turnbuckles to the bed. A few are bolted down. If you want to keep your Tork Lift frame mounts, you could probably connect to the corner Jack mounts.

Thanks guys. Were they able to use the existing tie down loops already in the cotton of the bed or was something added?

I've been told the factory points aren't strong enough. FWC uses eye bolts through the bed with turnbuckles. Some folks have made extended braces from the frame to the eye bolts or have done other beefing of the mounting points.

Tie Down Eye Bolts in Truck Bed 2016 F150 6.5ft Short Bed.jpg
Backing plates highly recommended! Attached is a view of 4 eyebolts in a 2016 F150 aluminum body 6.5ft bed. They are poking through slots in the rubber mat, hard to see them in the shadows.

I think the need for backing plates depends on the material and construction of the bed. My Hawk has been happily turnbuckled to the bed of my F250 for almost 11 years (installed by FWC technician), on the truck 99% of the time, without issue.

On my 2005 Dodde RAM 2500 long bed with a Grandby after doing some offroad the bed sheet metal deformed (pulled up 1/4"). The corners are one piece and rounded so perhaps a bit more stout than a flat bed with water drain spaces at some of the floor to wall gaps like in my ford truck bed, but I still managed to deform the RAM's bed around the bolts.

Thanks for the info. I was able to find a video on FWC's website that explains the attachment to the bed.

Hmm, I'm not immediately finding that video. Link?

I'll be installing the eye bolts in the next few days...

It was on their website in the video section near the middle to the bottom of the page I think.

I own a 2009 Eagle that I purchased used. They come with 2 steel plates that bolt to the Tacoma, in my case, bed using 4 of the existing 6 Torx bolts that secure the composite bed down. The plates have holes for the turn buckles.
One of the eye nuts bolted to the camper had sheared. They were 3/8 and I replaced them all with 1/2 inch and added aluminum plates to increase grip and strenght on the camper. I also got new all steel turnbuckles instead of steel and aluminum that came with it.
I like to go on old mining rds into the mountains which can get the vehicle swinging side to side and want to make sure the camper does not rip it's moorings. Not technical 4wh rds but challenging nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom