FWC Winter camping

BWSracing said:
I have noticed the same thing. We have a forced air heater and significant ice/frost inside the camper. Is there anything to be done about this?
attachicon.gif
IMG_9330.JPG
Ventilation is your best option. Wipe up condensation before you lower the top.

We'll be camping in the teens this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes...but I already know, it goes well into the teens.

Ace! said:
We'll be camping in the teens this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes...but I already know, it goes well into the teens.

Ah, dreams of days gone bye!

Happy Holidays Ace! Well below zero up here and highs is low teens...

Phil

BWSracing said:
I have noticed the same thing. We have a forced air heater and significant ice/frost inside the camper. Is there anything to be done about this?
attachicon.gif
IMG_9330.JPG
Yup, ventilation is key.

I've camped at -31C -23.8F with no condensation issues. I open one window about 1/3 to 1/2 way. I also open the fantastic fan vent a crack to allow air to flow through.

Bill D said:
Yup, ventilation is key.

I've camped at -31C -23.8F with no condensation issues. I open one window about 1/3 to 1/2 way. I also open the fantastic fan vent a crack to allow air to flow through.
Creating that much air flow at -20F didn’t make it impossible to keep your camper warm? Understand, I don’t have experience with these forced air heaters.

Creating that much air flow at -20F didn’t make it impossible to keep your camper warm? Understand, I don’t have experience with these forced air heaters.

It was pretty good. The heater would shut off once in a while, but not for long. I used about 3/4 of a 10# propane.

If you tent, you know they need good airflow.

No airflow = condensation (which freezes and makes if feel even colder)
Keeping a window open is key, even if you are inclined to close it. Open it as much as you can. You'll be warmer because of it.

I use a Cabela's Magnum 44 -28C -18.4F Sleeping Bag, which is plenty warm.

If you're cold, wear something warm on your head when you sleep.

The coldest part of the camper when sleeping up top is the lower area around the skirt of the pop up material and the composite board on the nose of camper (because no warm air is getting to it).

Using 24" foam interlocking tiles, I covered the nose most portion of the upper bed area. It levelled it perfectly with cushion slide out. It added R-value, which is very noticeable while sleeping. Pillows don't get freezing cold anymore.

You could probably camp in -40C -40F if the top was down. I wouldn't want to do it though. Too dangerous.

Bill D said:
Using 24" foam interlocking tiles, I covered the nose most portion of the upper bed area. It levelled it perfectly with cushion slide out. It added R-value, which is very noticeable while sleeping. Pillows don't get freezing cold anymore.
Bill, have you got pictures of that? I'm trying to visualize and am confuzzled

We always carry a supply of disposable handwarmers like these. If really cold place in the foot area and another near your mid section.

Paul

Bill D said:
Yup. Just lock them together... custom cut to the shape of the upper nose area and seal with tuck tape.
It made a huge difference.
That is very interesting. Could you still provide a photo? I am having trouble visualizing how they interlace with the slide-our portion of the bed.

Also, do they actually come with only two adjacent sides notched on each piece? Is that enough to cover the entire bed?

I wonder how well that might work on the floor to add a bit of insulation?

I had some of those same foam tiles in my garage and never thought about them for the FWC, but I might try it.

Ah, dreams of days gone bye!

Happy Holidays Ace! Well below zero up here and highs is low teens...

Phil

Happy holidays to you too.

I'm introducing the kids to cold weather camping again, which is probably my favorite time of year. The kids have had an aversion to the cold. With the proper clothing, I'm hoping it won't be a problem and they'll enjoy the solitude that seems to come with the cold. My daughter is the one that suggested going this weekend, and is wishing for snow, so I think they have the right attitude for it.

patrickkidd said:
That is very interesting. Could you still provide a photo? I am having trouble visualizing how they interlace with the slide-our portion of the bed.

Also, do they actually come with only two adjacent sides notched on each piece? Is that enough to cover the entire bed?
Same for me...where are they attached at the "nose" with duct tape? I assume on the front [interior side] of the lift board?

Wallowa said:
Same for me...where are they attached at the "nose" with duct tape? I assume on the front [interior side] of the lift board?
Just camped in 14F last night with my new 3” cushions on the cabover and pullout portions of the bed. The cabover (What I assume they are calling the “nose”) portion was pretty chilly and my butt and feet were cold. I had a 17F down bag and my Camco Olympian Wave 6 catalytic heater running on low (no indoor thermostat). I am thinking that some kind of that rigid hollow plastic cardboard might be in order to create some airspace for the cabover section. Would also level out the bed with the pullout which sits just on top of the cabover portion. If that doesn’t do it then an extra 1” memory foam might.

In other news, I only used 1.9 gallons of propane for cooking and heating in these temps for 4 days and three nights. This heater is unbelievably efficient!

IMG_1018.jpg

patrickkidd said:
Just camped in 14F last night with my new 3” cushions on the cabover and pullout portions of the bed. The cabover (What I assume they are calling the “nose”) portion was pretty chilly and my butt and feet were cold. I had a 17F down bag and my Camco Olympian Wave 6 catalytic heater running on low (no indoor thermostat). I am thinking that some kind of that rigid hollow plastic cardboard might be in order to create some airspace for the cabover section. Would also level out the bed with the pullout which sits just on top of the cabover portion. If that doesn’t do it then an extra 1” memory foam might.
In other news, I only used 1.9 gallons of propane for cooking and heating in these temps for 4 days and three nights. This heater is unbelievably efficient!
I think hypervent would be good for ventilation and controlling condensation under the mattress, but for insulation, I’d use a sheet of foam board, like the Pink Owens Corning. And, I would still check under that foam to ensure you weren’t getting condensation between it and the camper.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I think hypervent would be good for ventilation and controlling condensation under the mattress, but for insulation, I’d use a sheet of foam board, like the Pink Owens Corning. And, I would still check under that foam to ensure you weren’t getting condensation between it and the camper.
Hypervent actually seems like the right solution to keep the foam off of the cold cabover board for temperature reasons as opposed to foam because it would create an air space between the two. Or something in between foam and hypervent. A dense foam seems like it would transfer the temperature along the gradient to the foam mattress more (i.e. make my butt cold).

Any others’ thoughts on this?

patrickkidd said:
Hypervent actually seems like the right solution to keep the foam off of the cold cabover board for temperature reasons as opposed to foam because it would create an air space between the two. Or something in between. A dense foam seems like it would transfer heat to the foam mattress more.
Any others’ thoughts on this?
I did a poor job of saying what I meant, and that is to use both foam and hypervent. Foam first, with hypervent on top, then the mattress.

That is the layering my hard shell camper came with.

Back
Top Bottom