Galveston Island 2016

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
Just a little teaser until we get back. Sunrise on the gulf. 25-40 mph gusts yesterday and today. No awning or screen tent. Discovered that we left our coffee back home. Gotta find a Starbucks. Of all things to forget. Winds die down tonight. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Scroll down and you will find the link to our trip.

Attachments

• 1458494997066.jpg
    1458494997066.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 85
No coffee-run and find some-fast :p.! Nice picture and do hope the wind dies down-didn't they have a massive hurricane and flood there once---or was it just a explosion in an oil refinery or something like that? Maybe both- some type of disaster-maybe time to go somewhere else, but still a nice picture.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
No coffee-run and find some-fast :p.! Nice picture and do hope the wind dies down-didn't they have a massive hurricane and flood there once---or was it just a explosion in an oil refinery or something like that? Maybe both- some type of disaster-maybe time to go somewhere else, but still a nice picture.

Smoke
Actually the largest natural disaster in US history took place on Galveston Island in 1906. A hurricane literally blew over the island and completely covered the island with no warning to the residents. Over 6000 people died. Subsequent to that the Army Corps of Engineers built a 14 ft high 14 mile long sea wall and back filled the entire eastern end of the island where the town now is.

Smlobx, history correction. The deadly hurricane struck in 1900 killing between 6,000 and 12,000 people. The seawall was built and the next big hurricane in 1915 tested the seawall. 53 lives were claimed. jd

longhorn1 said:
Smlobx, history correction. The deadly hurricane struck in 1900 killing between 6,000 and 12,000 people. The seawall was built and the next big hurricane in 1915 tested the seawall. 53 lives were claimed. jd
Sorry for the mistake. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee this am when I wrote that.
When I first moved to Galveston in 1979 I met an old lady who was a child during that hurricane and she had some amazing stories..all of her siblings perished that day but by the grace of God she survived...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
JD, looks like a nice trip, except for the lack of coffee. Isn't that a capital offense? Thanks for sharing!
Capital Offense for sure. Got my fix later than usual for the day, but did find a Starbucks and had them grind for our coffee press. Life was better day 2. :)

Back
Top Bottom