gap between top of truck and camper

cspan0

HI all,

So I have what seems like a familiar problem. I have a 2006 hawk mounted on my 2005 silverado, and there is almost a half foot of space in between the top of the truck cab to the overhang of the camper. This probably doesn't bother most people, but it drives me nuts - not just aesthetically but for wasted space. I have been trying to think of ways to turn that space into a storage area - I would probably have to fabricate something and mount it to the top of the truck to make it a perfect fit. I was just wondering if anyone in this forum had any ideas.

- Corey.

To start with I am mounting my four MaxTrax in that space. I would like to add a long tube shaped storage space also.

I have also seen RotoPax fuel cans mounted under the cabover.

Ha! Get over it! I have the same issue ... I bought my camper off a great guy that had the same problem. It bothered him so much he had to get rid of the camper. Lucky for me he sold me the camper at a great price. Every time I look at the gap between my truck and camper I chuckle. The fix is about 40,000 bucks - The cost of a new truck. I will live with the Gap and enjoy my great camper!!!!!!!

My '08 Hawk sits high on my first gen Tundra, so I put some Yakima racks on the cab.
I mounted a Yak wind fairing and shallow basket up there. Since the basket sides take up half the opening, I can't fit big stuff, but we have put beach chairs, snow shoes, etc. up there.

I too have a Tundra & Hawk with a huge gap. I like the rack and wind fairing idea Lighthawk. Do you have photos of your set up?

Ha! Get over it! I have the same issue ... I bought my camper off a great guy that had the same problem. It bothered him so much he had to get rid of the camper. Lucky for me he sold me the camper at a great price. Every time I look at the gap between my truck and camper I chuckle. The fix is about 40,000 bucks - The cost of a new truck. I will live with the Gap and enjoy my great camper!!!!!!!

just curious ramblinman, what is the 40,000 dollar fix?

I have an Eagle on a Tacoma with a 6" space... so combining my need for a place to store my tripod mounted solar and a desire to put a wind foil this is a solution. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6155/
skip to the second page where there are photos. Works for me and I did get better mileage (about .5 to 1 mpg)
My friend had a great idea....go to walmart and buy a $20 inflatable dingy. it works as a wind foil and a life boat!!

I too have a Tundra & Hawk with a huge gap. I like the rack and wind fairing idea Lighthawk. Do you have photos of your set up?

On short notice, this photo is all I can lay my hands on. Ignore the crew in the downstairs. :rolleyes:

You can see the top of the wire basket. I had to hang it between the bars to maximize the space above. Edge of yak fairing slightly visible.

This shot shows the fairing a bit better. It's a stock fairing from Yakima.

You can see the top of the wire basket. I had to hang it between the bars to maximize the space above. Edge of yak fairing slightly visible.
Lighthawk, what make basket it that? It looks nice and light. I'd like to mount one between the bars also.

Lighthawk, what make basket it that? It looks nice and light. I'd like to mount one between the bars also.

The basket is called Basketcase

I sandwiched some blocks of rubber in the channel where the hardware mounts to keep the basket from vibrating down to touch my truck cab. There's less than an inch from bottom of basket to truck, but I've never had it rub.

I so much agree with you. A gap...really! I think my truck and (hawk) camper looks great. MPG and less wind resistance could be better.

About a 10 month ago, if I recall correctly, there was a post here and on expedition portal forum by Jonathan Hanson about storing a table http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/camping-gear/all-camping-gear/front-runner-stainless-steel-prep-table.html#.VJnwwA-t on rails http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/front-runner-extreme-under-rack-storage-slides.html#.VJnxHA-s
in the gap , it made a lot of sense and the post was very well documented with photos. Some people had even commented that it would also work for a portable solar panel.
Since then I have looked for the posts and they seam to have disappeared. But you get the idea, the tracks are mounted to the camper and you could install a locking device to prevent theft. Depending on how much room you have you could fabricate two deeper z channels and even install some shallow plastic storage containers. The possibilities are endless as long as you allow some air space for the camper to flex.

This is from a string awhile ago as my space was also bugging me. I used a the tripod from the roof (speaker stand) crank to use as a solar panel on a tripod. I needed a storage space for it so build a locked box over the cab and put in a now aluminum wind foil in front of it. My milage has definitely improved as well.... and of course it just plain looks cool.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8490-cab-over-camper-storage-mod-questions/

I hate carrying my portable solar panel. I think it needs to go up there. Thanks for the reminder. Off to the hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom