Gas leak in freezing weather

dorocks

Greetings

My boy borrowed my Tundra and 2009 Hawk. He went to Mammoth skiing. When he got back to the truck and fried some hot dogs, and set down to eat, the propane gas sensor alarm went off. He thought at first it might be the refrigerator. He tried with frozen hands to turn the manual shut off. Don't know if that worked. He turned it clockwise.

Then he said he smelled gas in the propane bottle area. I told him to unscrew and re-screw the gas fitting. He said he could not get it to budge. Frozen on I guess. I told him to turn off the gas for the night. He has cold weather sleeping bags and extra blankets.

My question is have any of you had gas leak problems when in extreme cold conditions? I am not there to help and I am not sure what to look for anyway.

Keith Barnes
la Mesa CA

How much propane did he smell? Just a hint, or a strong leak?

If it was just a hint it could have been the tank venting as it warmed up.

Also, is it a propane detector, or a CO detector?

Just called him and he said the refrigerator had been on all day while he was skiing. After he drove down the hill and walked outside the camper by the LP compartment he smelled it. The detector detects both LP and CO. The indicator said LP.

BTW the refrigerator department had a lot of snow in it. Apparently 60 MPH winds had been broadsiding the camper all day where the refrigerator vents are.

Keith

BTW the refrigerator department had a lot of snow in it. Apparently 60 MPH winds had been broadsiding the camper all day where the refrigerator vents are.

That might be the culprit right there.

Well my boy got back. Will have to check the camper out. Here is what it looked like first night at Mammoth. truck at Mammoth .JPG

I was in the same weather, and no issues with leaks; I did hear it chirp once. I did have a problem with freezing and not being able to change LPG bombs or even open the outer refer door. I had to wait until the temp got above 20F. I would say you gave good advise, turn it off.

Attachments

• yosemite winter snow.jpg
    yosemite winter snow.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 130
I was in the same weather, and no issues with leaks; I did hear it chirp once. I did have a problem with freezing and not being able to change LPG bombs or even open the outer refer door. I had to wait until the temp got above 20F. I would say you gave good advise, turn it off.

Have not been able to duplicate the LP gas alarm. I am presuming for now that the snow clogged refrigerator area may have forced a little gas into the camper.

I've had various propane issues. Here's one of the first posts here at WTW back in 2006:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9/

I've had various propane issues. Here's one of the first posts here at WTW back in 2006:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9/

I agree leaks should not be normal. I will look into some of the issues mentioned in the post.

All that snow makes me anxious for my skibike. Unfortunately not going to Utah until January.

Attachments

• skibikesm.jpg
    skibikesm.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 113

Back
Top Bottom